• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is the difference between a HO head and a non HO head

Well, the intake and exhaust manifolds match the gasket almost perfectly, within
1/16" or less, so now what advice can you offer? It's only the head that doesn't match.

I'm just matching the port to the gasket and lightly funneling into the port. I'm not hogging the whole port out. That's scary cuz I can see where the head bolts are in proximity to the port.

Do not match the exhaust port to the gasket. If you don't know what you are doing, and you don't have a flow bench, doing more than a simple clean up will cause more harm than good. But you clearly have a handle on what your are doing.

And in your mind that does what exactly?

What it is doing is giving the exhaust gasses a spot to slow, stall or revert into the combustion chamber. And if you make that hole larger than the exhaust manifold then you will actually reduce performance as the exhaust gas hits the wall that is the exhaust manifold. The exhaust port on the head is smaller than the exhaust manifold and gasket for a reason.. it prevents reversion of the exhaust gasses and promotes scavenging by keeping the exhaust gas speed up. You really need to do research on this as I can tell you don't have a good handle on the concepts here.

It's not gonna be larger than the exhaust manifold. The exhaust manifold IS the size of the gasket opening. The exhaust gasses will "stall" about 1/4" sooner than they would without matching the opening. I don't think it's as big a deal as you do, therefore I will continue on.

Nota Bene Leaving the slight "step-down" going out into the manifold will actually help to prevent exhaust gas reversion into the chamber. Exhaust gas reversion has a negative effect on scavenging, and increases pumping losses (and therefore decreases power output slightly.) You're better off leaving that alone, unless you're going to fit "anti-reversion baffles" to the exhaust primaries. (I've done enough research on this topic to change my mind - I used to think the way you do.)

Realistically, you're better off leaving that step in place than you are trying to "ramp it down." Cleaning up the sand-cast surface will help, but I wouldn't bother trying to remove the "step down." If it was a "step up" (the primary was smaller than the port exit,) I'd really want to do something about it - since that would create significant reversion and pumping losses, and just kill scavenging. But, having the step there helps to create an extra boost of low pressure behind the exhaust pulse, which helps to draw more exhaust gas out of the cylinder and draw more fuel/air charge into the cylinder - which reduces pumping losses!

Short form? Leave it alone. Long form? If you've read this far, you know what's going on and why...

Back