• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What gears do I have?

Jeremy_Cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 1990 Jeep Cherokee on a 5 1/2" lift and 31" tires. I'm trying to get a new speedo gear so that I don't get another ticket and I don't know what gears I have. I am almost certain that I don't have stock gears because I run about 70mph (guessing based on other traffic) and I'm only running maybe 2000 rpm.

My question is how can I tell which gears I have. I now you can turn the drive shaft and count the revolutions per a single revolution of the tire but if it makes 4 revolutions it could be 4.10s, 4.56s, or 4.86s. Is there a difference, physically, in the gears that I could check when I service the differentials this week?

Thanks!

Automatic (AW4) should be 3.55, manual (should be AX-15 for you) should be 3.07.

Dana diffs usually also have a tag held on by one of the cover screws - with the ratio "in the clear" on the bottom row. You can also check your front diff - it's a Dana, and should still have the tag. The rear will match by about one "point" (front 3.54, rear 3.55. Front 3.08, rear 3.07. And like that.)

Jeremy_Cherokee said:
Is there a difference, physically, in the gears that I could check when I service the differentials this week? Thanks!
The gear tooth count will be stamped on the ring gear!

Back