• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What fluid for a 5 spd?

I would say to just spend the extra cash for mt-90 it did wonders for my tranny, the cold weather shifting is great and I really noticed the smoother shifting after to going to it I'd never go back, the oil was 42.50 at a specialty shop, oh and get one of the pumps for quart bottles with a long house its a hell of a lot easier than taking off the shifter

wildcar said:
So I went to the auto parts store and the bottle of fluid says GL-3, GL-4, GL-5, on the bottle. Is ok to use in the AX-15.
If it says GL5, I wouldn't use it.

Stuff from D/C, or Redline MT90. Nothing else for me.

SUA SPONTE said:
Whats best for a BA 10?

Anything you like - it won't last that long!

Seriously, you can probably use any gear oil for the BA-10 - it doesn't have a scrap of bronze in it - and all the aluminum parts are either stamped, cast, or machined from wrought - aluminum doesn't sinter well, and none of the parts I checked looked sintered anyhow. I ran GL-3 through mine - since that was what I could get - but check my site to see what AMC had to say about it (Tech Archives, Fluid Recommendations and Capacities, I think.)

According to the website I went to, www.myoilshop.com . It say MT-90 is GL4 lube. It it ok to use in the AX15 or is there different types of MT-90.

On a side note, what oil should I use in the rear axle. It's an 8 1/4. I read that the oil in the tranney is the same as the rear axle.

The MT90 is fine to use because it does not have the sulfurs which attack brass synchros. For the diff, you want to use GL5 oil. Some vote for synthetic, but I change mine often enough that I'd rather stick with cheap stuff.

5-90 said:
Check my site's (link in sig) Tech section for fluid recommendations and capacities. All taken straight from FSMs - which is why I don't have all years listed yet. I should have yours tho - I checked to make sure I had a 1990 FSM before I posted this...

I notice, though, that you list GL-5 for AX15's. It's true that the FSM lists it (my 95 FSM is the same), but it's generally acknowledged to be a mistake.

It might be worthwhile to put a little asterisk and note somewhere there to point out that the specs may have been superseded.

Matthew Currie said:
I notice, though, that you list GL-5 for AX15's. It's true that the FSM lists it (my 95 FSM is the same), but it's generally acknowledged to be a mistake.

It might be worthwhile to put a little asterisk and note somewhere there to point out that the specs may have been superseded.

Thanks - I was actually just thinking about that, but I've been busy with some 1970's FSMs I've just gotten...

I do need to change that, or at least make a notation. You have simply reminded me (and I'll get it seen to in the next batch of website updates. I'm not sure why ChryCo would say to use GL-5, unless it's an element of "planned obsolescence...)

I have been doing some reading on this topic, and I am finding some interesting sites, statements, and info. I have an 85 jeep with a nissan 5 speed manual tranny that has yellow metal (brass or bronze) synchros and I was getting ready to top off, or maybe even change out the fluid I used after I rebiult it about 8000 miles ago when I ran into these GL-X ratings and issues here and elsewhere. I sould note that the 1982 FSM from Nissan for my FS5W71B gearbox says to use GL-4, but allows GL-3 only if an 80W140 GL-3 is used. After reading the info on MT-90 at redlines web site I am seriously thinking of using the MT-90. It is interesting to note the way they claim the MT-90 (a GL-4) can be used, and can be expected to give better results than a GL-5, but they stop short of calling a GL-5 Spec gear oil.

Everthing I found at 4 autoparts places locally is now labeled as meeting GL-3, GL-4 and GL-5 which has me wondering just what they really mean in those claims now based on the sulfur corrosion question.

I did see some claim that sulfur corosion is a heat activated corrosion caused by the sulfur additive issue according to Redline.

Here are some links worth reading:

http://www.myoilshop.com/MTL_GearTech.html

http://www.octoil.com/index2.html

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/redtech4.htm

And this site has some interesting comparison of GL-3,4,and 5 and MT-1 specs (still loking for more on the Mt-1, spec, but also still reading some of these links)
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=995957

Well after much research and much deliberation and driving around to every store on this side of the planet, I just gave up and ordered MT-90 from Redline for my 82 Nissan FS5W71B manual transmission. My Nissan FSM recomends GL-4 which surprised me since it has brass (or bronze) synchronisers in it and the talk here is saying not to use GL-4 or GL-5 if you have yellow metal (synchronisers) in the tranny.

All I could find on the store shelves here was universal GL-everthing universal gear oil that claimed it could do anything but wash the dishes (Most showed GL-3, GL-4, GL-5 and MT-1 all on the same label for the same product).

Anyway, after reading what redline had to say on their web site and the technical info on their MT-90 I decided to go with the MT-90.

Good choice. I ran NAPA house brand GL4 briefly in my freshly rebuilt AX15. The plan was to run the cheap stuff for a week and then refill with good stuff. It shifted so badly, I thought I buggered the rebuild. I refilled with MTL and MTL90 (half-half) after two days and it went from crappy to outstanding. The cold 1-2 shifting, which the AX15 is know to have troubles with, was excellent even at -20*F.

You can check with the dealer...there is a tech tip about this....Use 10w 30 motor oil.....chrysler now recomends this for improved cold weather shifting.....I live in california, and i use it with out a problem....

Back