• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What else do I need for 3.5" RE lift?

Double Down

NAXJA Forum User
Have a 97 4 door and I am thinking about doing the Rubicon Express 3.5" Super-ride lift. Don't do a ton of off-roading but would like a good lift, so this seem to work.

Besides shocks, what else will I need for this? The kit includes:

BRAKE LINE SS REAR XJ/ZJ
COIL SPRINGS XJ 3"
5/16" CENTER PIN
ADD-A-LEAF KIT XJ 2.5
*CONTROL ARM SR2 LOWER FIXED
SWAY BAR DISCONNECT ADAPTER BRACKET XJ-ZJ
S/B END LINKS XJ / ZJ
SPRING CLAMP CLIP 2.5"

Since I am doing most of my driving on road for right now, will I need a SYE or new drive-shaft?

Also, who would have the best prices on this kit?

If you have any other ideas for getting a good 3.5" or so of lift while getting a good ride, please let me know.

Thanks,

Chris

Last edited:
I looked at that very kit then was persuaded to go just a step up RE6025 3" Super Ride w/ Rear Springs instead of AAL. I don't know why they call it a 3" lift when the leafs are 3.5" and the coils are 3.5"???

If you mind to re-locate your front brake lines, then maybe some SS for the front or '95 YJ replacements.

Your 97 would need a SYE / Driveshaft.

I got my lift for $580. USD $760 CAD, through a company in BC, Canada.

Don't forget 31" meats, no triming needed with them.

i just ordered my RE6130 for $695... $807 with shipping. 4x4groupbuys.com They have the best prices on many products, i think it depends on how many they sell... but they get great deals from RE since they are the largest RE retailer in North America.

Double Down said:
So you are saying that I can get the lift and don't need the SYE or drive-shaft...JUST get the t-case drop kit?

Also, should I get new lower control arms also, or is that not a big deal right now?

Chris

If you'r lucky only a TC-drop kit.

You get Fixed lower control arms with the kit, do you mean "Do you need Adj. Control arms"?

Well, you guys missed out. I bought my RE 6030 from crawltech.com for $679 with free shipping and free shocks about 2 months ago. I just checked their site and sale is over. Sorry. As for the lift, It rides pretty good and it's alot of fun. I have a 00' and I put in a 1" transfer case drop. I have minor vibes between 20-30mph on acceleration but I also put in a ford 8.8 and I put too much angle on the pinion. I plan to eventually put on a SYE but ran out of jeep $$$$$.

SNOWBLIND said:
i ordered mine directly from RE, they seemed to have the "best" prices.

Yikes. Really?????? :huh: Fill me in.

Personally, I'd buy it whether i needed it or not. But that's just me. Sorry for the lack of reasoning, but if setup properly it can only help.

I did the Superflex kit, full leafs, and did not regret it one bit. Figure in longer shocks, and you WILL need a Tcase lowering kit.

--ron

I did the exact same lift on my 98 and started with the t case drop about a year ago. great lift, should have gone with the replacement rear leafs and just recently installed the sye and new shaft because it still had vibes with the drop kit. I got my kit direct from RE because I live close and just picked it up, paid $588 with the OME shocks...

I have the RE 6020 3,5" super ride kit with AAL and I`m very happy with it..
I have 4 degree axle shims and I`m doing my own transfer case drop kit these days.
I have vibes at 60 mph but with the new transfer case lowering kit I`m making I hope this will disappear.
You know, with 1" drop on the case, you only have 2,5" lift on the driveline which should work fine without SYE. Especially if you use degree shims also.

like the others said AAL are not recomended. the ride will not be as good as full leaf packs. i would lead you towards the full leafs because you will like the ride better, and they will last longer. i got the same lift with full leafs in the rear, on my 2001 had major vibes without adjustment. fabbed some 3/4 inch transfer case drop and fixed the majority of the problem. still have very minor vibes between 30-40 mph. if you dont plan on wheeling your rig and dont want to hassle with the mechanical problems of a 3.5 inch kit, get the 2 inch budget boost, and you can fit 30 inch tires pretty nicely. up to you. if money is not too much of a concern and you prefer to do things right, get the 3.5 inch kit, full leaf pack, and SYE or transfer case drop. i can get you all the parts you need from Rubicon Express for a pretty good price. im out of town now, back on the 29th and i can get a pricing for you then. if you want a plush ride, i recommend the doetch tech shocks. let me know what you decide. i also sent you a PM. PM me with your decision.

If you are running a 97 you will probably want to get an SYE and new driveshaft. I made a mistake of of thinking I wouldn't need one on my 95. As I understand 97 and newer XJ's are even more prone to vibrations. If its not in the budget a t-case drop would suffice but kind of defeats the purpose of lifting the vehicle in the first place. Definetly get the full leaf packs. Also I got my kit from dirk at www.dpgoffroad.com . $611 plus shipping and $115 per pair of OME shocks.

I just installed the RE 6020 3.5" super ride from quadratech came with all part you listed plus 4 shocks. I'm running mtr 245-75-16's. I had a vibration at 40-60. Installed a 1" t-case crossmember shim and it corrected the vibration. By the way the kit cost $349 plus shipping of about $60.00.
So far I love it..

I just installed that same kit this past weekend on my '98. Its awesome!
I did end up having to buy a new front track bar. The directions have you move the stock one over and redrill a hole. This works but weakens stuff. The guy who helped me install mine said he originally did this and it broke off. So I bought a Rubicon extended track bar. Works great and went on smooth except for a bolt that broke off.
Hope this helps.

The rest of my message did not reply on my post for some reason.
I bought a new track bar. The instructions for the kit say just to relocate it, but a friend who has the same kit said he originally did this and it broke off. So I went with the Rubicon extended track bar. I have no problems with vibration except on turns, I need to check it out but I think its just the tires are rubbing so I might have to trim some.
Also, I went with the Doetch shocks (spelling?) and they work great! I have not lowered anything and it seems fine. Hope this helps.

Back