• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what do you guys think?

TheBlueXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So got the nicest Cherokee this summer shes getting the fender flares and 35's this winter but i had this crazy idea for a new paint job? taking off all the paint scratching the metal with a wire brush then having it clearcoated and everything else will be blacked out of course:clap: what does everyone think?

I have seen art decorations where they do that and use different colors like anodizing in cool patterns.
Think it would be worth a shot since ive never seen it done on any vehicle. Would be very creative.

I think the biggest problem you will have with clear coat is long term UV resistance. That is just a gut instinct. Do some research on the topic and see what you can find.

In colored paints you have some pigments working for you. Pigments are generally mineral based and consequently they do a good job of fending off the UV rays and protecting the primer and their own binding compounds.

If you can make it work then you would have the DeLorean of XJs. Stainless is a couple shades off, but you would have to put them side by side for most folks to notice.

i have thought about doing hood stripes like that. scuffing the area with steel wool to give it a brushed stainless appearance.
i cant imagine doing that much labor on an entire vehicle unless i was starting with new clean body parts and dipping them and disassembling the whole rig.
i hadnt thought about the UV issue, but even the most detailed job would leave you pin holes and thinly coated edges that would start to discolor and rust..
maybe for a show car i was building from the ground up, but not something already painted that will end up getting regular use and potential body damage.
but it would look pretty cool.
if you really want to try it, get a junk XJ for a couple bux and attack it with some paint stripper and see how easy or difficult it really is, and see if you like the results.
i'd be interested in seeing it done even if it doesnt bring the desired results, just to hear what you had to say about it.

Back