• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what do you guys mount up on you roof racks and how?

Christmas Tree?

PIC_0082.jpg

For wheeling, nothing if possible.

Unless a major camping outing like this one years ago:
loaded.jpg

Occasionally the tiny coffin now for camping:
P1000245.jpg

And most recently the Charlie Brown X-mas tree:
PC031299.jpg

When needed, plywood straps up there too.

I have 4 Hella 500FFs, my Hi-Lift, and my spare tire on my roof (will go on the rear bumper when I build a tire carrier). They're all welded on mounts that you can kind of see here, the one for the high-lift was pre-fabbed and called a "Rack-Lock" or something like that, Hi-Lift makes it.

dsc09047n.jpg

dsc09525i.jpg

dsc09723c.jpg

My Jeep looks a lot better now, I need to take it wheeling and get some new pictures. :D

This is the reason I don't like roof racks... My rack slid to one side (poorly designed valley rack mounts) and my door kissed this rock, after this picture my buddies pushed my jeep away from this rock as best as they could so I could drive out with a little less damage.
53d7ed11.jpg

You can kind of tell in this picture it's slid more driver side at the end of the run.... Just imagine if I'd had the rest of my gear up there...
c92995fa.jpg

Built (mostly by my father n law) about ten years ago. It holds my Hi-Lift and lights. Can get a crapload of camping gear up there when needed, leaving plenty of room for the kids.

Nice, looks very professional.

I'd like the one that sells Kevin's Offroad with full mesh or the Gobi Ranger. They seem well done but are pretty expensive.

This is the reason I don't like roof racks... My rack slid to one side (poorly designed valley rack mounts) and my door kissed this rock, after this picture my buddies pushed my jeep away from this rock as best as they could so I could drive out with a little less damage.

You can kind of tell in this picture it's slid more driver side at the end of the run.... Just imagine if I'd had the rest of my gear up there...

I have the same roof rack but I don't put anything in it while wheeling, only use it for camping trips or trips to home depot or buying stuff on craigslist. I'll take into consideration the sliding thing..and see if there is a way to 'lock' it in a horizontal plane though.

Items I carry up there in decreasing order of frequency are: 1. spare tire, 2. canoe, and 3. Christmas tree. All three items are somewhat aerodynamic if you place the tree with its trunk forward.

i built an EMT rack that i have a hi lift extreme, a shovel, ax, and lights mounted all the time
i need it to avoid caving in my roof
IMG_0205.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0529_1.jpg
[/IMG]
Rockfest131.jpg
[/IMG]

Used to have a full rack on my 88. kept a spare up there and in the winter I tied a shovel up as well. Found I just never really used it. When I took it off I gained 6mpg!

i use my rack all the time. yes it makes me a little top heavy, i just learn to drive more cautiously(i also dont run any kind of sway bars). i regularly carry my 35" spare, my hilift and a set of spare dana 30 axleshafts/hubs, theres also 4 hella 500's and when i camping i fill the remainder of space with an axe, a shovel and firewood. the rack is very solid, made out of .065 sqyare tube of varying sizes and the floor is 1/8' expanded. the rack is so solid, one time i used a side rail as a lift point for my hilift, worked like a charm =]

To go to the beach

DSCF0620.jpg

DSCF0607.jpg

Back