• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what do ya think.........race proven 3 seasons

From my experiance with a spherical ball bushing on the shackle side of the leaf spring there was side to side movement because the side to side verticle angle of the shackle relies totally on the rubber or poly bushing not on both ends of the shackle like normal. This also puts leverage on that bushing trying to hold the shackle verticle making it deflect worse. If you have a super stiff poly bushing in the other end of the shackle you would probably be OK but IMO it puts too much added stress for little added articulation. We tested and tested and might have gotten .5" more droop. The front half of the spring binds more than the rear half due to its shorter length, the reason why I think a orbital eye would be more usefull in that location and not have any issues with leverage because its fixed to the body, not to a lever then to the body.

Most of the toyotas I have been around are lighter so they wouldnt deflect the bushings as much and from what I remember have shorter leaf springs which will respond better to allowing the joint to twist and not making the leafs do it.

All that said the terrain I set my standards for is alot of very off camber situations, these situations are going to expose issues such as I mentioned above more than most. For desert racing I can see the benefits but for my use not so much.

EDIT to your edit(sorry got distracted while posting)

The revolvers I ran opened on full throttle hill climbs> not good for my drive shaft.
Wouldnt open even with a tire completely off the ground.
Gave an eirry(sp?) feeling on extreme off camber sections, it didnt matter how tight or loose the bolts were, never worked the way i wanted for my driving style.

I will look for some pics of the shackles but picture a JKS 6" shackle with a RE superflex joint at the frame end instead of the poly bushing.

Last edited:
Back