• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What did you do to your XJ today

Finished the timing set up as well
Old
IMG_4049.jpg

IMG_4050.jpg

New
IMG_4051.jpg

Meant to post this up the other day....
Turned off the Jeep at a quick pit stop on my way home from work the other night.... and lo-and-behold.... it wouldn't start back up.... tried to jump it (the normal way) and that didn't work either. I had no tools, but still had those two Optima's in the back (a lot of good that did).... finally got the jeep started by hooking the positive jumper cable lead to the main bus terminal off of the fuse block. Stopped on the way home (left the jeep running) and picked up a pair of new terminals. Then promptly installed one of the new Yellow Tops. The old terminals had been corroded beyond salvage. The first 3/4" of wire from the terminals was a solid crusty green, and all the ring terminals needed a good cleaning as well. I was PLEASANTLY surprised to see just how quick the jeep fired up with the new battery. Next up will be some wiring upgrades, and to clean up some of the mess of what I have going on right now.
IMG126.jpg

Turned off the Jeep at a quick pit stop on my way home from work the other night.... and lo-and-behold.... it wouldn't start back up.... tried to jump it (the normal way) and that didn't work either. I had no tools, but still had those two Optima's in the back (a lot of good that did).... finally got the jeep started by hooking the positive jumper cable lead to the main bus terminal off of the fuse block. Stopped on the way home (left the jeep running) and picked up a pair of new terminals. Then promptly installed one of the new Yellow Tops. The old terminals had been corroded beyond salvage. The first 3/4" of wire from the terminals was a solid crusty green, and all the ring terminals needed a good cleaning as well. I was PLEASANTLY surprised to see just how quick the jeep fired up with the new battery. Next up will be some wiring upgrades, and to clean up some of the mess of what I have going on right now.
IMG126.jpg

I've been there buddy. But mine quite on the trail. Ya that was fun.

IMG126.jpg

I hope you have better luck with those Optima batteries then me and everyone else I know that owned them. Back in the day when they first came out I had a pair for about 10 years. Now it seems like they don't even make it to the free replacement time of 3 and there done. Whatever you do don't charge them with anymore then 14v or you'll kill them dead fast. It boils all the water out of them and you can't put it back.

I hope you have better luck with those Optima batteries then me and everyone else I know that owned them. Back in the day when they first came out I had a pair for about 10 years. Now it seems like they don't even make it to the free replacement time of 3 and there done. Whatever you do don't charge them with anymore then 14v or you'll kill them dead fast. It boils all the water out of them and you can't put it back.

Theres no "water" in optimas. Its an AGM battery.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/VRLA_battery#section_3
I dont personally think optimas have a problem. In my experience it ends up either being the person runs there battery really dead and doesn't know how to properly recharge a AGM battery, or you have a small draw in your electrical system (which i would be willing to bet if you checked most of our jeeps do) which will kill that battery prematurely. If you want to know more about how to recharge them optima (Johnston controls the maker of optima) has put a video on you tube seen here.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Slqd73ZOQvI

Last edited:
Sorry, i just used the word water loosely as an example to keep it easy. Since I'm chicken pecking on an iPhone. I know all about them, I use to sell them for a living.

The best luck I've ever had with batteries, other then those two red tops I had are Deka. There made by East penn. I just bought two group 24 deep cycles for my rig. All the power I'll need 1000 CCA And 300 min reserve.

Last edited:
I've had my Jeep since 2003 and I put an optima red top in it right when I bought it. That one lasted until 2008, and I must admit it died quite abruptly. Drove to the store, and then it just wouldn't start after I was done shopping. No warning in the days/weeks beforehand, no hard starts, nothing, the sucker was just toast all of a sudden, which seemed bizarre. Didn't scare me off, though, because I bought another red top the day my first one died, and it's still going strong now, 4 years later!

A new to me cause of D:eek:W sence my rig has been down for awhile I had been chasing the dreaded death wobble and figured it out today I had sticking passanger clapper and a frozen driver put on new (Calipers)and man go figure no more D W and with the timing chain,Header and front brakes it runs and drives better than it has in years.

Theres no "water" in optimas. Its an AGM battery.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/VRLA_battery#section_3
I dont personally think optimas have a problem. In my experience it ends up either being the person runs there battery really dead and doesn't know how to properly recharge a AGM battery, or you have a small draw in your electrical system (which i would be willing to bet if you checked most of our jeeps do) which will kill that battery prematurely. If you want to know more about how to recharge them optima (Johnston controls the maker of optima) has put a video on you tube seen here.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Slqd73ZOQvI

Yup thats why I have a shut off key, after I turn it no more power draw.

Most recent thing i did was convert my electric roll down windows to manual crank. It was actually pretty easy to install i thought it was gonna be way harder but it was all bolt in

I picked up 90 amp 117 amp and 130 amp alts today all for 35$ do to 1/2 off at pick and pull the 90 amp is a brand new Bosch and I had them all tested at O'reillys all are good tomorrow Ill test fit the 130 but I held it next to my stock 117 amp and it was the exact same size just the steel spacer is offset to far my LFH will fix that.If I have to do grind much Ill jst toss the the XJ alt in for now.

Dang well I put in a new alt and it still whines What else sounds like alt whine?Water pump maybe Im also thinking maybe something in my timing cover might be causing the whine but there didnt seem to be anything in there besides the chain and gears.Any thoughts would very helpful

Back