• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What causes a TPS to go bad?

xylonjay said:
Damn, I suck with electrical issues.

Just keep it simple. Disconnect the TPS sensor, then using the Ohms scale on the meter (usually turn the dial to ohms depending on the meter) and installing the probes black goes in the in the negative/ground hole and red goes in the one marked for Ohms (resistance) then find some way to get solid continuous contact with the ground post on the battery with the meters black wire, and then test ALL of the wiring harness connections that were connected to the TPS. The flat three pin ECU side of the TPS wiring harness connection should have one very low reading just at or below 1.0 ohms, from pin "B" to the battery ground, so touch the red probe to the brass contact on the wiring harness at pin B, if it is over 1.0 ohms it is a problem. Mine was 13 ohms on the ECU side ground and 550 ohms on the TCU side ground, now its down to about 0.1 ohms since I added the second ground to the the wiring harness ground wire on the TCU side, and cleaning the engine block ground connections fixed the ECU side ground for me.

Rerun the Test on Pin "D" of the square TPS wiring harness connection. Once again, test with the TPS disconnected, and test the wiring harness connecotors to ground, not the TPS connections! Also this test is run with the igntion OFF!

Back