• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are your thoughts on the Chrysler 8.25 rear end?

terryd said:
i can say outta expierence that the 8.25 isn't the best axle, especially if you have the rubber fill plug. the one in my jeep now got about 2qts of water in it while washing it.......also, its got 160,000 on it and i've had to replace the pinion bearings where the plug leaks and the previous owner didn't understand the roaring. also, i've test drove a few jeeps recently lookin for my next xj, and have found 3 bad 8.25's in these jeeps....the 44 is stronger and more parts availability.....just my thoughts...no one jump my gun...

how bout some maint. on said axle and ditch the rubber plug cover for a real 3/8" thick cover .. come on a rubber plug and you are gonna complain about stuff in it ? 10% rule

12GAXJ said:
You will need a new carrier, as well as side spider gears, when going to 29 splines.

sorry i posted the same ? twice.

im pickin up a HP D30 from a 4banger w/ 4.10s. i already have a 8.25 29sp. if i found a 27sp 8.25 w/ 4.10s, would i have to get the gears set up again? just wondering which way would be cheaper. be nice if i could find a 29sp w/4.10s in it already

First, I would step up to 29 splines (alloys), if you don't have them. Get a good diff cover(bluetorch, etc), take a sawzall and make it look like a Dana 35. Throw 4.56's in it. Drop in locker if you have, unless you want something different, go detroit. Then get aftermarket alloy axle shafts if you started with 29 splines.

This set-up will last all day with 35's, hell with a tight l/s and stock shafts, my 8.25 has taken a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. And the l/s is still tight and moves both tires. It has bigger axle tubes that an XJ D44, which means a stronger resistance against bending and flexing.

Back