• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what a steal!!!

gradon said:
Just a quick ? I would figure that people who want to swap out the 2.8 would opt for the 4.3 instead of the 3.4, since chevy's base v6 was the 2.8 and the bigger one was the 4.3 during the 80's and early 90's. What's the deal?

GM made two styles of a V6. On is the 60 degree with the 2.8L bell housing bolt pattern, and the other used the V8 bolt pattern. The 2.8L and 3.4L share bolt patterns and reasonably simple swap.

Olympia said:
I bought my '85 Cherokee, 4 door, auto, 2.8 V-6, 4X4 for $60 and a 12pack of beer from my brother. It runs pretty good, its just been sitting outside for a couple months. The two driver side windows got smashed by some punks, and the one of the headlights is smashed. Other than a little mold and water damage, and a quick jump its a great trail rig to start working on.

Any suggestions on what my first steps should be with looking at the engine? Anything else I might need to know about it?

Give it a tune up, change the fluids, replace your windows and it sounds like you are good. The 2.8L is a GM 60 deg V6 that they put in all the S-10s for a while, and some Troopers. The automatic is a TF904. The transfercase is likely a NP207. The 84-86 models had the longest rear DS available so vibes originating there are rare. The front DS is likely a CV type. If it hasn't started clacking yet, it should be good for abit. The thing most folks don't get about this DS is that you can change it's length by loosening the nut at the yoke and letting it slide; it's good for about 3" then you run out of angle.

Unless that rig has issue with running, I wouldn't put much money into it aside from what it takes to make it run dependably. The Rochester carbs are not known for their ability to take decents at a steep angle, and it will flood if you don't feather the throttle. Other than that, enjoy!

Back