• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whad'ya think?

Every time I try to come back to SoCal NAXJA I run into my old friends.....and remember why I'd rather ride my bike.
:smootch:
Actually...this is a good point/counter point type debate.
I ran a Dana 30 with 35's for a number of years in the Hammers and did mange to finally tear up the ring and pinion. It was not a high dollar build but did include crmo axles and a Detroit.
When it finally went I had John install the new ring and pinion....then sold it to add the 60 and go big on the tires.
So, I'd guess I'm fine with just using a well built 30.

OK, taking the axle shafts out of the equation, what route do you all think will cost the least, assuming I do all of the fab work? I know the hi-9 is big bux, and D-60's are not exactly everywhere to be found. I also believe D-44's are really hard to find. I need to justify not just building a stronger D30 than the one I have. My only real issue with the axle I have is the knuckles are not rotated and it would be too much work to try and rotate them on my current axle so it is easier to build a new axle.

chevy LP 60, re-tubed. or a Dana 300. probably the cheapest route for strength.

best strength:weight ratio would be a 609 front with f450 outers. spendy though.

Yeah, you can start spending cubic $$$ on an axle. Me, I just picked up another D30 housing, I'm going to rotate the kuckles, throw an artec truss and gussets on it and put a full case locker in it. Then sell my current housing with the 4.56's and locker and swap it on a weekend. Done.

A D30 has worked for you for years. Unless you're going to bigger tires, don't worry about it, build one beefier than you have, do your rotation and be done.

Yeah, you can start spending cubic $$$ on an axle. Me, I just picked up another D30 housing, I'm going to rotate the kuckles, throw an artec truss and gussets on it and put a full case locker in it. Then sell my current housing with the 4.56's and locker and swap it on a weekend. Done.

A D30 has worked for you for years. Unless you're going to bigger tires, don't worry about it, build one beefier than you have, do your rotation and be done.

Yeah, I am leaning towards just building another strong D30 because I already have most of the parts. I do want to try 35's at some point but that will be a long time because the funds don't exist for new tires.

Back