• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WG knuckles with one inverted T tie rod and draglink?

andrew2516

NAXJA Forum User
So I've been out of the loop on jeep's over the past few years but lately I've been reading up a lot on WJ steering.

Right now I have a one ton setup OTK inverted T...pretty sure it has one Chevy TRE's. Everyone knows the con's with this setup...wondering, dead spot between 10 and 2. Track bar is relocated above the axle.

Does anyone know if I could use my current tie rod and drag link with the WJ knuckles?

Could I just swap in some WJ style tie rod ends into my current tie rod and draglink?

What are the lengths on the WJ style tie rod and draglink?

If not...what is everyone using for tie rod and drag links with this setup...I want to stay OTK with the tie rod and would like to stay with TRE's instead of heims.

You can ream the knuckles, or drill and use inserts. Since the WJ is already a high steer setup, you might have to shorten your current drag link to run it, or buy/build another drag link.
831xj went from 1-ton OTK to WJ, and basically did what I just mentioned.
When I go WJ swap, I think I am going to use the Clayton "WJ swap" steering links, and source my own TRE's from work.

I'm sure with so Fab you could get the steering you have to work with the WJ set-up. Im using ruffstuff's 1 ton kit which is a good deal for what you're getting. You could probably sell your current steering and recoup some of the cost. I think the ruffstuff kit is around 240ish and Dan always is running deals so I'm sure you can get it for less than that.

Here's my steering

I'm sure with so Fab you could get the steering you have to work with the WJ set-up. Im using ruffstuff's 1 ton kit which is a good deal for what you're getting. You could probably sell your current steering and recoup some of the cost. I think the ruffstuff kit is around 240ish and Dan always is running deals so I'm sure you can get it for less than that.

Here's my steering

Hi dude, could you please share pics of your trackbar set up??....longer than stock, in front of the coil, coils centered in axle?
thanks

I just went from 1 ton OTK to WJ steering. I used the stock WJ tre's otk and stock WJ drag link and tie rod. I cut 5" out of the tie rod and sleeved it, then shortened the WJ drag link and added a 7/8" x18 tpi threaded tube adapter to run the GM 1 ton pitman arm.

1 ton OTK

picture.php

WJ steering

picture.php

Hi dude, could you please share pics of your trackbar set up??....longer than stock, in front of the coil, coils centered in axle?
thanks

Looks like the same setup they used on Team NAXJA/Petty Cash Racing KOH car... DOM sleeve welded to gussets on the inner C and the trackbar is bolted in single shear.

Yes it requires centering the coils on the axle.

Looks like the same setup they used on Team NAXJA/Petty Cash Racing KOH car... DOM sleeve welded to gussets on the inner C and the trackbar is bolted in single shear.

Yes it requires centering the coils on the axle.

Yeah that's where I got the idea from. It's a little more work but it works well. Only thing I would do differently would be using thicker wall tubing for the TB mount. I used 1/8" and it has wallowed out after a couple wheeling trips. I had to upgrade to some heavier duty metal haha.

Heres a pic after WJ knuckles... Yes it still had the inverted T tie rod on there. Was temporary. Now I run a new tie rod thats longer and has offset TREs. Also had to change the pitman arm to a TJ to correct the angles after... And the TJ arm has less throw so still don't have full turning radius. It's not bad. Just need to go get a WJ. They have same amount of drop with more throw

In theory, an OTA track bar mount that lets you use the correct/matching angle will not require a new pitman arm.

Correct... Mine was already burnt home. And as you can see I have no more adjustment except going further out of whack. Pitman arms are cheap anyways.. the TJ was free from a member and a new WJ one is a bit over $20. The weld in insert from ruffstuff costs as much as the arm :D

Correct... Mine was already burnt home. And as you can see I have no more adjustment except going further out of whack. Pitman arms are cheap anyways.. the TJ was free from a member and a new WJ one is a bit over $20. The weld in insert from ruffstuff costs as much as the arm :D

I understand what you did, but I wanted to make it clear that it is not absolutely necessary.

20140601_071022.jpg
IMG_20140531_204316.jpg
I used stock steering with a zj tierod for months before I built my steering. I went with a tnt customs Ota bracket I got from Jonnie Walker and my rubicon express 1665 frames idea track bar bracket for the frame side. I went with 1.5x.250 dom with 7/8 heims on my drag link and my track bar. I used 1 ton offset tierod ends on my tierod. Heims would not let the tierod clear my aftermarket diff cover.

Back