• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Well found out my no start cause, need to find a starter solenoid.

96Yeepster

NAXJA Forum User
Well I had made a thread a little bit ago about all the sudden no crank.

Checked the relays, they were good.
Checked NSS, cleaned rebuilt.
Checked battery, was good.
Still no crank.
The dash buzzers and idiots lights all came on, and the fuel pump kicked on.
So the ASD circuit was not shutting down for whatever reason.

So I finally crawled under the jeep with a jumper wire and tried to remote trigger the starter. With a spark on contact, nothing. Pulled the starter and tried to crank it with jumper cables. Nothing. Had it tested failed 3 out of 3. Gear never extended.

So now I am trying to find a solenoid for it and everyone looks at me like I am crazy. The motor I am sure is fine, so I do not want nor need a rebuilt one, just the damn solenoid.
Hell most everything that is sold nowadays as "re manufactured" is pure crap anyway.

I can find remans all day long.
I don't trust them. I have been through too many of them on my vehicles. Hell one alternator I was replacing every 4-5 months cause it was remaned by Pedro (no offense to any Mexicans that read this). I do not care if it has a lifetime warranty on it if you are constantly having to replace it! I want it to work right, the first time and stay working.

What the hell happened to parts stores that sold 'parts' not just the whole damned assembly?

Hell the starter on my 83 K1500 went out. Actually the solenoid got header cooked. I bought a reman, could not get it spaced right no matter what I tried. So I got a different one. Same thing. I finally went back before they sent in the cores and got my original one back. Searched forever and found a solenoid and it has been fine now for 2 years. $20 bucks.

Advance auto parts has them for around $30 and they are all new. Prices vary by brand that you select.

I'd look at the brushes while I had it down. Clean all the oil, mud, grease and gunk out of the insides and the Bendix.
Did you try jumping a hot around the solenoid and seeing if it would spin up. It needs a little spin for the solenoid to seat and the solenoid and Bendix to start the yoke forward. Did you try whacking the side of the starter with a hammer? This will sometimes seat the brushes and/or unstick something.
In my experience the brushes are the first to fail. I've had a spare solenoid on the shelf for 20 years, that I've never needed. I've rebuilt or cleaned out a bunch of starters.

Back