• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Well found away to improve my gas mileage

bjoehandley

NAXJA Forum User
It just wasn't cheap.......... Brought home a 2012 Chrysler 200 Touring with the new Pentastar V-6 in it!
20120407_170013.jpg

20120407_170137.jpg

20120407_170033.jpg

20120407_170319.jpg

If anybody asks, that motor is a STRONG runner and in a car this light......:shocked:

It will give me the chance to take the Jeep off the road and do things like brakes, u-joints, ect besides getting better gas mileage. Looks like it should be close to 10mpg better than my XJ for the same drive.

Not sure how that improves mileage, but helps off set it..

I do like that it has a warranty (also got the lifetime extended warranty too, which also covers any Mopar Performance goodies too :D ) It's got more than I wanted on it for rolling stock and radio, but if I s.o.ed a more stripped down model, pricing changes would have put the price for that only $200 less than I'm paying for this instead of $600-$700 less. Also got the paint and rust protection with bedliner for undercoating and a deep wall trunk liner.

BTW, If you're wondering John (5-90), these motors have a timing chain instead of a belt :D

I do like that it has a warranty (also got the lifetime extended warranty too, which also covers any Mopar Performance goodies too :D ) It's got more than I wanted on it for rolling stock and radio, but if I s.o.ed a more stripped down model, pricing changes would have put the price for that only $200 less than I'm paying for this instead of $600-$700 less. Also got the paint and rust protection with bedliner for undercoating and a deep wall trunk liner.

BTW, If you're wondering John (5-90), these motors have a timing chain instead of a belt :D

Congrats!! party1:

I have always partial to Chrysler products since the days of the 440 C.I. Charger.
I think the chain is a win-win,....my wife's DD is a Hyaundai Elantra which is due for a timing belt change but with a double over head cam and a contact engine :nono: I am afraid to touch it. The dealer want $500+ to do the job.

Between my Grandparents, Parents, Dad's Brother, my little Sister, and my self, this is the latest in a loooooong line of Chrysler products spanning the last 60+ years! In all honesty, it'll be one of the quickest stock Mopars we've owned, and considering the only quicker ones were my parents 440 Six Pack 4-speed Charger R/T and 440 Magnum 4-speed Cornet R/T, an Uncle's 440 Superbee (not sure which trans or if that was a Six Pack or not), and the 440 Magnum Auto Challenger R/T-SE my Grandparents had. I'm happy this has a chain instead of a belt too, on my 2.2 Turbo cars it wasn't too big of a deal with the belt since since they were only around 8.5:1 and a no contact design (good for boosted applications like these :) ) The best part of that lifetime warranty is if something like that happens, the dealer takes care of it! Although in all honesty, I'm more concerned that there could be a problem at some point with the Hard Drive equipped radio and that'll be covered too!

GHAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Went to leave for work today and found scratches on the roof of the 200! Not sure how they got there, I haven't set anything on the roof or have had anything fall on it and I've only leaned on it, bare armed, a few times.

I hope Chryco comes back some day... soon. Maybe they're on their way, or maybe it's a short term trend. But I feel like with cars like these, they could well be on their way :thumbup: But then again, I don't own one.

So what say you? Good car, or are you just being a Mopar fanboy? Try to be impartial, lol ;)

I love it so far, it would ne nice if the 6-speed auto shifted better when left to it's own devices though. It shifts up as soon as it can and to get it to kick down you really need to punch it and on occasion it disagrees with me (did that climbing a hill last weekend, wasn't thrilled by that.......) I find that I do prefer to have a cable running between my foot and the TB, that can be a little slow at times too, especially when the traction control is left on. In some cases, the difference can be like going from having a bag of fresh jumbo marshmellows under your foot to a box of stale Peeps with the TC turned off woth the drive by wire. Some of it could be me going from a long line of relatively old tech cars to something this modern (even if it's a heavily revised Sebring) too. Gas mileage is still around 5mpg better than my XJ gets and I do have the E-85 option if I'm near a station that sells it (it is hardr to find an E-85 station than it is to find a recharge station for plug-in's and EV's:confused: ) I'm still getting used to having torque steer again too, it happens but isn't as violent as my Lebaron GTS Turbo was, that thing could scare somebody riding shot gun and the last non family member who drove that nearly crapped himself (probably second time that day too) when he told me he took it for a test drive after redoing the oversized exhaust.......a second time...... The braking and cornering is very good while the acceleration is fantastic! In testing and researching youtube reviews on the car, I found that it's a solid 14 second car in the 1/4 mile and there is no doubt in my mind that it is just that quick too. I found a 200 owners forum (not as awesome as NAXJA, but it is still young ;) ) and one of the guys on there has run 14.38 in his Touring sedan that is equipped with the Mopar CAI and Mppar/Corsa cat back, although he hasn't done anything to tune the car via computer to get the full advantage out of those parts as of yet.

The 200 line is pretty well set up, especially for the price.

The LX model is their basic model which only has the 2.4l I-4 and 4-speed auto IIRC.

The Touring like mine is one of the real bang for a buck car, the suspension is tuned more towards handling than tbe LX and Limited (which is what Eminem drove in the Superbowl ad) you can get the 6-speed on the 2.4l or you can opt for the 3.6l V-6/6-speed combo like I did without having to load the car down with weight adding extras. It's about as close to the '68-'70 Plymouth Road Runners as you can get from Chrysler right now.

The Limited is their nicer, softer riding highway cruiser that tends to be the more premium model over the LX and Touring.

Then there is the S, if Touring's like mine can be considered Road Runner-ish, then the S is the '68-'70 Plymouth GTX of the 200 line. The drivetrain and suspension is the same as my Touring, but some of the interior furnishings are even nicer than the Limited's, the sound sysyem is better, the sunroof is standard, the rims were specific as were the black chrome accents (both of which is now available on the lowly Touring, for no charge.....much to the whining of S owners.....:rolleyes: )

One thing I found funny is that as I researched the car, the typical print sources pan the car as a whole, yet the independant YouTube reviewers tend to be quite happy with them and people who've actually gone and looked at all midsized sedans and have bought their 200's on performance and value over much of the other cars in it's class. Many of those same buyers will actually call out the reviewers that knock the car, asking if they even drove the 200 and all but asking if the reviewer is being paid off by the makers of the car's competitors!

I finally got a pic of the scratches, the car is a bit dirty, but that funny looking pair of boxes is the lights in the parking lot I was in.
20120511_114558.jpg

I honestly think some jerk-off used my roof as their counter than slid what ever they put on it back off:gonnablow

I try not to, but I think I had somebody park next to me at Taco Bell a few days back. Luckily the scratch is just barely deep enough to get my nail into it and I did get a protection plan that should cover this at little to no charge, even if it might need to be re-cleared. One thing Dad discovered when he and Mom bought bought their Town and Country is that it doesn't matter how far out you parked away, people would still park right next to him. Only thing that stopped that is when Mom ended up needing a handicapped placard so it was easier to park the van in a relatively protected area when she's with him.

Maybe the scratches were from a bird? I have some scratches on the hood on my XJ that I am certain were birds. I had a nest right above my garage door and when the XJ was parked in the driveway I seemed to get scratches appearing. I got rid of the bird nest and the scratches stopped appearing.

Otherwise if it was someone that slid something across your car that just sucks. I think that is why I could never buy a New vehicle. I would be so paranoid about the paint I would just drive myself nuts. People sure do suck.

Not bird or other animal related so far as I can tell, other than the crap that has landed on it. Dad and I had the Jeep out today for it's first drive in a month for a trip to Menards and I though we were going to watch somebody in a VW take the left rear bumper cap off of it trying to turn around so they could drive the wrong way up the lane on their way out :doh::banghead: I've had that truck for nearly 9 years now and at least 90% of the body damage acquired in that time that wasn't age and/or weather related has been because of idiots in parking lots who can't corral their doors, kids, scrape the sides with their clothing or purses, ect. I still get annoyed with my 14 year old XJ, it aggravated me when I had my then 12 year old white Shadow ES (had a manager at my last jod that constantly would open her door into mine) years ago. It's just more maddening when it happens to a brand new car that still doesn't have 1300 miles on it..........

Not bird or other animal related so far as I can tell, other than the crap that has landed on it. Dad and I had the Jeep out today for it's first drive in a month for a trip to Menards and I though we were going to watch somebody in a VW take the left rear bumper cap off of it trying to turn around so they could drive the wrong way up the lane on their way out :doh::banghead: I've had that truck for nearly 9 years now and at least 90% of the body damage acquired in that time that wasn't age and/or weather related has been because of idiots in parking lots who can't corral their doors, kids, scrape the sides with their clothing or purses, ect. I still get annoyed with my 14 year old XJ, it aggravated me when I had my then 12 year old white Shadow ES (had a manager at my last jod that constantly would open her door into mine) years ago. It's just more maddening when it happens to a brand new car that still doesn't have 1300 miles on it..........

Thats why I like having my custom 2x6 sliders now. Most people that open their doors too far will hit them and not my heep.

Minor Update guys.

Hit 20k while coming home from the dealer and filling my 200 today and around 15k of that has been on solely E85! Since buying the car in April of 2012 the only wrenching done on the car has been a couple software updates via OBD2 port, oil changes, tire rotations, and headlight alignment.

Last edited:
I've been getting 15.5-17.5 on E85 vs 19-20 on regular and usually buy from a Speedway that has kept their spreads in the $.80-$1.00 and been upwards of $1.20-$1.50 at times....was rather nice when E85 was in the low $2.00 range while regular was north of $4.00! Also found that with the lower carbon levels in the fuel, the exhaust seems to stay cleaner (with gas, the chromed exhaust tips would turn a dull black after while from the carbon and what not.) and engine internals should stay that way too. The car seems to run cooler and run better all around and especially in blazing hot weather while burning it. I've seen a few other guys with the flex fuel Pentastars that have found their cars and suv's seem to prefer it over premium due to the higher octane (it's a variable valve motor, I'm pretty sure it's advancing the cam timing a bunch), not to mention the price difference is even greater ;)

If your Regal is one of the turbocharged cars, it might end up liking E85 over any other blend since it should allow for more cam and ignition timing like the Pentastar, not to mention.........more boost :D

BTW, since you live in Michigan, check out the below site. It's a new site that will show who in your state is selling E85 for a $1.00 a gallon or more lower than regular.

http://www.yellowhose.com/

One of the companies involved is an ethanol producer who's selling the fuel to stations for an extra low price so long as they pass their savings on to their customers. A friend of mine up in Lansing has also gotten involved in pushing E85, and is looking into some schooling for alternative energy as a whole after talking with the folks at that company.

Back