• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding to d30 Center Section

themauler

NAXJA Forum User
So what is the consensus for welding to the dana 30 center section? Weld MIG and preheat/cool slowly or get a nickel rod for a stick welder. I have an artec truss that I am eager to weld but need to decide if I should stick weld it since my MIG is only 110v. If all I need is a nickel rod then I will stick the entire thing but if people are welding to the entire axle with just a MIG welder then I plan to find a 220v MIG to borrow and burn it all in. I have done a lot of searching but haven't really discovered a good answer and am a little hesitant because I have never welded with a nickel rod or on cast iron but am willing to give it a shot.

Anyone with good experience/results?

When I did my truss I just used my mig. For the center section I just used a small torch to pre heat the metal and post heat the welds.

I've done it with a 110 MIG. Preheat, weld, post heat slowly letting it cool. My 30 nicknamed "rock plow" has held up flawlessly for the 4 years since it was welded on. The housing is cast steel, different from cast iron and accepts welds much easier/better.

Havent welded a 30 housing, but I did weld my 8.8 (which is cast steel, not iron)

My advice: use nickel.rod if cast iron, if cast steel then use the stick welder with some 7018 to burn it in.

you will want a 220v rig to weld to the housing. you also want to have the axle out of the rig so you can rotate it around and not try to weld uphill, etc.

a little pre-heat will help.

you need as much penetration as possible.

you will want a 220v rig to weld to the housing. you also want to have the axle out of the rig so you can rotate it around and not try to weld uphill, etc.

a little pre-heat will help.

you need as much penetration as possible.

Nothing wrong with welding up hill. Remember, heat travels up. Just go slow and you'll be fine

Nothing wrong with welding up hill. Remember, heat travels up. Just go slow and you'll be fine

have you welded to the cast center section uphill? I have. it doesn't work.

mild sure, crank the wire speed and burn away.

Yep, it works just fine.

Nothing wrong with down but with mig you are more likely to get cold lap. Your weld looks great but is no different than bubble gum.

The most experienced custom fabrication shop in my area (Chaos Fab, Winchester Va) welds Arctec trusses in on a fairly regular basis. I will be using them to weld the TNT truss on my sleeved Dana 30. Here is what they do:

Pre heat the center section to 350 deg F using an oxy acetylene torch checking the temp with an IR pyrometer. Once it is evenly heated begin welding, adding heat as needed to keep it up to 350 deg F. Once the welding is done wrap it in a welding blanket and let it cool down over 18 hours before unwrapping it. They use the same procedure for welding gussets to the inner C's, which they do frequently on JK's.

Is it overkill, maybe. They build a lot of axles and have not had a problem with the center sections cracking or the welds breaking off, good penetration. Same procedure for welding spacer plates to knuckles for WJ outer/brake conversions.

Obviously many have been able to weld it without all of this extra effort, but why risk it and have to start all over again with a new axle?

John

The most experienced custom fabrication shop in my area (Chaos Fab, Winchester Va) welds Arctec trusses in on a fairly regular basis. I will be using them to weld the TNT truss on my sleeved Dana 30. Here is what they do:

Pre heat the center section to 350 deg F using an oxy acetylene torch checking the temp with an IR pyrometer. Once it is evenly heated begin welding, adding heat as needed to keep it up to 350 deg F. Once the welding is done wrap it in a welding blanket and let it cool down over 18 hours before unwrapping it. They use the same procedure for welding gussets to the inner C's, which they do frequently on JK's.

Is it overkill, maybe. They build a lot of axles and have not had a problem with the center sections cracking or the welds breaking off, good penetration. Same procedure for welding spacer plates to knuckles for WJ outer/brake conversions.

Obviously many have been able to weld it without all of this extra effort, but why risk it and have to start all over again with a new axle?

John

This is the same procedure that I used on my trussed 30.

I used a Hobart 125 MIG and that was 4 years ago. I have beat that axle hard and no cracked welds

Yes they MIG welded it. 220V solid wire. Heating as they go to keep the temp up to 350 and then a very slow cool down over 18hrs in a welding blanket.

John

Back