• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

welding front and rear axles need opinions

Good summary Bender, I agree 100%. I drove mine welded for 3 years, disco housing with 32s on the stock 260s and eventually a hub conversion with 35s.

Do not weld your rear if you ever drive it in snow, it will spin off the road no matter what the speed. This is a fact. If there is even the slightest incline the rear will swing around to point downhill. You have no idea how embarrassing it is to have a well built rock rig that is sliding into parked cars and you can do nothing about it. All the while the kids are laughing, the cars next to you are sh*ting and your MRS. is yelling.......

I wheeled mine hard, broke the welds twice and could never get the disco to work correctly in 4wd, it would bind & didn't want to disconnect without jacking up the passenger side tire. This happened almost every time I wheeled it, the disco collar would bind against the splines on the axles and not allow it to disconnect. As for driving in 3 wheel drive, I did it but you're driving on the short side axle shaft, which is the one most commonly broken on front ends. This plus 260s is a BAD combination for any tire size.

My PS box used to puke hard turning 35s while 'locked' in the front, I never thought about how much stress I was inflicting till I read the above post, thanks for that.

One last thing, where did you find ALLOY shafts for your disco housing and WHY would you spend that kind of money on them?

I have to disagree with ya on the driving in the snow. I did it quite often with my spooled 44 and it worked great but then again i grew up in the north and understand how to drive in the snow.

You're right about the skill part, I have NONE in snow. I rode my bike to school as a kid in snow but I ate it more than I made it. :D

I rate driving a spooled or locked Jeep through the winter, right up there with unprotected sex, smoking in bed or free climbing. The first, fun but dangerous, the second an unnecessary risk, the third a little more excitment than I´m prepared to deal with.

Back