• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding disco 30 w/posi lok kit

AlabamaBill

NAXJA Forum User
My Slowwww build is coming along. I am strongly leaning to welding my disco dana 30. This is not a long term thing. I have a non-disco dana 30 that I am building with a lunchbox locker but need more time. Yes I am very very slow LOL. I will be running 31's on mild trails and mudd till I get the other dana ready at which time I ll be switching to 33's. I looking for opinions on welding especially from those with experience. I see a lot against it but this not a dd and matter of fact will see few miles other then the trails at hunting camp and run to get a beer after hunting.

Thanks
Bill

If it doesn't get much highway use, it will be fine. I welded mine, and I even drive it from Atlanta to Tellico. I did put in one lockout, but I have a Dana 44, and it is harder to put lockouts on a D30.

I took a-mechanic's advice, and only filled in the spider gears with weld, rather than welding them together. It gives a little free play, and makes it possible to replace them, if you want to sell the axle later.

One nice thing about the posi-lock is you can open it to turn, then lock it to get over stuff. I drove most of trails 4,6, and 8 at Tellico with it open (3 wheel drive).

FWIW, this was on my RC, not XJ (see my avatar).

Thanks for info, meant to thank you sooner. I got it weld up in manner you described. I had already decided to weld it that way. I just don't see how welding the gears togather will work in long term, got break at some point. I might hope I get this thing back on rubber this week. Not finished but at least I can move around from spot to spot in driveway!

Bill

Back