• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

welders

BenDiesel

NAXJA Forum User
So I got this miller 200 a while ago and not sure what I'm doing. I picked up m first botle today, and trying to set it up for next weekend when my friend comes over to help me install my frame stiffners. Just want to make sure every thing works before then. So is there any one in the area want to come over and teach a noob? ????????

I won't come over but ill give ya a few pointers lol. I live in th mtns of NC. Anyways you have your wire speed and your voltage..

If you get a lot of popping bump your wire speed down some.

The higher your voltage the more apt you are to burn through but! If you can get good control and steady speed you'll want to go higher because there's less spatter.

If you run to low of a wire speed you'll keep getting this bright flash sorta thing and the wire will come out more like droplets because its getting way to heated in the arc

This may not help at all lol the only real way to learn is to grab that gun and hit it. Keep in mind all welds can be cut out or redone. Best of luck

well goofed off with my welder a bit ran a bit of a bead on one of the springs leftover from my bastard pack. not bad i think for my first time. esp with a switch thats jerry riged on the gun.
pc0500600.jpg

better pict of the front of my welder
pc050055.jpg

not bad for a piece of machinerey made in 1979.

keep at it, you'll get there!!!

round 2 of failure
imag0089w.jpg

imag0091a.jpg

its easyier then i thought it would be. still want alot more practice and maybe a beguinners class or 2 before i weld anything structural on anything

Get some scrap steel and get to practicing. Ideally get some scrap the same thickness as you are trying to weld for your project. I think XJ rails might be 16ga(?), so pick some of that up and try and welding what ever thickness your stiffeners are too it. You have to concentrate most of the heat on the thick plate so you don't burn through the thin. Good luck!

My advice, get some scrap steel. I used a piece of 4x6x3/16 and just started running beads on it. Get a feel for starting out, different techniques, positions, pushing the puddle, pulling the puddle, different heat setting, different speed settings, etc. I still have the plate I first started on and it's at least an inch and a half thick.

Then get some other pieces of scrap (most steel yards have a surplus bin/rack for cheap), and start practicing on joining two pieces of the same thickness and different.

Make sure the metal is clean before you weld. Get a wire brush and clean the material before and after each bead. DO NOT use brake cleaner to degrease on anything you'll be welding on.

Also, check out some online resources for learning how to weld. Lots of great tips and tricks. As with anything practice makes perfect.

Ya I'm wondering why not use brakecleen to degreese?

I have been talking with the guys over on the miller forum for a bit.

lol thanks for the offer. i got a class on a saturday beguning of next year though my company to learn. besides im 20 min north of seattle

lol, yeah that's quite a drive! Practice, practice, practice.....that's all I can say. I go to our local community college for an Associates in Welding Technology, and practice is what really helps. Try changing the settings a little and seeing how it effects the weld, try different welding configurations, just switch it up a bit and see what happens.

Lol I'm not giong for a welding job. Lol already gort a job building 787. Just want some for recreational jeep stuff.

Back