• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird, heat related tranny issue. 01 XJ Limited

Wildmatt: I must apologize....I did grease my slip yoke per your suggestion, but my stubborness got in the way of donig a good job. I pulled the shaft, noticed that there was some grease in there, tossed alittle shop grease I had laying around in it, and slapped it back together. Didnt change...

I couldnt wrap my head about how greasing the slip yoke would change the noise and feeling I was getting. It seemed WAY too violent to be that. So I dismissed the idea since my half butt attempt at greasing it failed.

Anyway, this weekend I was doing some work, and decided to try again. I was about to take the jeep to the dealership...because I was at my wits end. I took the shaft back off and CLEANED the splines. Then I got some of my good marine grease, and just lathered the splines inside the shaft. I also put a small gob at the opening of it so it would push in.

Put it back together, and noticed this time it was trying to push itself back off. Been two days now, and lots of drive. NOT ONE SINGLE CLUNK OR NOISE.

HOLY CRAP....

I feel like such a d-head for not taking the advice more seriously. I dont consider myself a dummy when It comes to cars...but I honestly just didnt believe that it could be as simple as that.

Now...Its been 16 degrees since I did it. So Im hoping that its just not a matter of being too cold for it to do it... Im keeping my fingers crossed, but it definetly should have done it by now with all the driving I did the past couple days.

Anyway....Wildmatt....thanks for the suggestion. Even with all the searching, and seeing the "slip the yoke" tips, I just didnt think it was the same issue. Ive already passed that info along to my buddy that has a 99 XJ, and it does the same thing mine did...only not as bad. I got the same response from him. "grease the yoke? that cant be it..." haha

J.

Awesome! I am glad that it is better. You would be amazed how greasing the slipyoke can fix stuff. What happens is the grease gets old and sticky, and when the suspention travels it sticks, rather then sliding smoothly and binds, then releases violently. Sometimes it takes 2 applications of grease, and the rule of thumb is to use way too much grease. I have also heard good results using anti-seize.

Anyhow, glad it is fixed!

Haha...yeah. I think I understand what is happening, I just would have never attributed the noise/clunk to that due to how violent it was. I mean...sometimes it would shake the change in my cup holders.

I really put a bunch of grease in there this time. Made sure the splines were covered very well. And I left a gob of it around the opening for assembly. If it clunks anymore, before I panic Ill pull it again and add some more grease.

The grease I used was that blue marine waterproof grease. That stuff is very thick and sticky, and should stick in there for awhile.

Ill never doubt the simple solutions again! haha

J.

Back