• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird/Bad/Crazy Shop Accidents

Been there, exact same thing except i was loading my sub box in my jeep...shocks gave out and WHAM! luckily most of it hit my back...but must have looked weird because i basically tumbled into the back with the sub box...and the hatch shut.
Now the shocks work on and off...so im always prepared for it to fall on me.

My buddy and I were putting a set of struts in his 94 Thunderbird in my shop.Got them from Advance Auto (Monroe Struts).They came apart easily but when we were putting the driverside one together is when it all happend.We put the coil spring on the strut with the compressors and put the plate on top and put the nut on and tightened it.Start letting the coil compressors off and BANG....the strut broke at the nut.In the process of flying through the air it hits my buddy in the face.Breaks his nose completely in two places and breaks a bone in his left cheek.Had 2 black eyes for a couple weeks.This showed us that we are never buying Monroe struts ever again and they took the fault for it.

2 weeks ago when pulling the trans, fluid dribbled directly into my eye while I was disconnecting the lines.
My chest was pressed under the front axle. When it hit me, I jolted and elbowed my worklight which had a 100w bulb in it. It was pretty hot. The inspiration of the 1st degree burn caused me to drive the back of my head into the concrete.

So burned, half blind, and punch drunk from a blow to head, I cleaned my eye up in the sink, literally seeing red.

I had dabbed that empty fitting for 10 minutes, and it still dribbled on me. Safety goggles, Safety goggles. Now I always wear them.
Gloves were already a must.

Not going all the way to helmet, that would be...well...retarded. But damn it I've got a lump.

Last edited:
I know trail rate this has a good window regulator story to throw in here.

Ok, as requested.

I was a hot summer evening, I was trying to figure out why the drivers side window in my Expedition wouldn't go down. I pulled the door panel off and tested for power from the switch to the motor. It was getting power so I removed the window regulator from the inside of the door. I was disassembleing the regulator to see if it was just hung up. I pulled the motor off and one of the metal arms hit me mouth. I did realize there was a clock spring in the middle the arms. The arm split my lip open, the cut went all the way through. I went to the ER, 5 hours and 6 stiches later I was on my way home. Luckily nothing was broken and no teeth were damaged.

0714082037.jpg

Been there, exact same thing except i was loading my sub box in my jeep...shocks gave out and WHAM! luckily most of it hit my back...but must have looked weird because i basically tumbled into the back with the sub box...and the hatch shut.
Now the shocks work on and off...so im always prepared for it to fall on me.

Sadly the same thing happened to me when I was replacing my already worn out shocks a couple of months ago. Didn't realize just how heavy that hatch is and thought one shock could hold it enough (read: any) while I swapped out the other one. Took the first one off and WHAM it came down right on my head.

After a couple minutes of tourettes like swearing, I propped it up with a long pole I had laying around the garage that was conveniently the right size (which usually doesn't work out that way).

This is begining to remid me of the skit on SNL when they would talk about what they hate. "You know I hate it when I stab my self in the eye!" My turn. I was cutting some steel under the jeep. Laying on my creeper the angle grinder got away. Glad I had welding gloves on. It went down my arm and finally cut my forarm almost at the elbow. About 3" long and deep. Grinder landed on my chest. I s@#t and grabed for it. Fortunately it got cougt up in my tshirt and stopped. Scrapped up my chest but no cuts. Went to er and hung out for a while bleeding profusely and they glued it shut.

This is begining to remid me of the skit on SNL when they would talk about what they hate. "You know I hate it when I stab my self in the eye!" My turn. I was cutting some steel under the jeep. Laying on my creeper the angle grinder got away. Glad I had welding gloves on. It went down my arm and finally cut my forarm almost at the elbow. About 3" long and deep. Grinder landed on my chest. I s@#t and grabed for it. Fortunately it got cougt up in my tshirt and stopped. Scrapped up my chest but no cuts. Went to er and hung out for a while bleeding profusely and they glued it shut.

that happened to matt one time except no cut, the grinder bounced off the rail and into his stomach, difference being the 4.5 inch makita had a 7 inch cutoff wheel on it :D he just laid there for a second and pulled it out of his shirt i expected to see guts but just one light scratch....

edit: im starting to seriously wonder why most of us arent dead or dismembered.......

lets see i got hit by a back hoe and knocked down into a hole.

stabbed myself in the arm with a 1 1/2"long 1/4' drill bit. lots and lots of blood

zapped myself with 24volts every other day or so.

ran my finger into the grinding wheel more time then i can count

busted my head open on the door seam of the wifes tj as i was cleaning up after doing her sus. and body lift.

tried to change the oil on her rig last night without letting it cool down enough. burned my hand just a tad.

i can go on.

lost my hearing for a day or two after inflating a soccer ball to 150 psi and having it pop!

froze my hand to a c02 tank once. that was fun!

nailed my foot to the floor with one of those 22cal. nail guns.

yeah so dont ask me to help you wrench on your junk cause i'm gonna need to go to the er!

Whoa dude.

Stay away from me.

I already have bad luck.

If we get too close to each other,

Bad things would happen.

stabbed myself in the arm with a 1 1/2"long 1/4' drill bit. lots and lots of blood

busted my head open on the door seam of the wifes tj as i was cleaning up after doing her sus. and body lift.

tried to change the oil on her rig last night without letting it cool down enough. burned my hand just a tad.

i can go on.

lost my hearing for a day or two after inflating a soccer ball to 150 psi and having it pop!

yeah so dont ask me to help you wrench on your junk cause i'm gonna need to go to the er!

The real life Tim Taylor?

i can go on.

So, do they know you by name at the ER? Do you have an open tab? :roflmao:

Back