• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

I've been trying to get the stupid CAD to stay engaged on my old junker, but the fork keeps sliding back. I even tried putting a small gob of weld on either end of the little shaft to hold it with no success. Then I tried a search and found that I'm supposed to take off the little clip and move it over, then put the clip back on.
Guess I'll be grinding my bit of weld back off, lol.
I just need one or two wheelin trips out of it, then I'll swap in my non-disco axle and my 8.25. I just don't have time to get it done right now.
I wish these things had just come with lockout hubs like every jeep had for the last 40 years before xj's...

I did end up getting the rear bumper and bracket off and the "new to me" bumper back on. Now I just got to get some new license plate lights and I'll be in business.

Rear brakes, axle bearings and seals only to still have the rear brakes barely work.

I hate drum brakes so much.

2001 XJ sport (mine), 1999 XJ Sport (sons)

I got me a full gauge cluster from an 88 and I have started modifying it to accept the shift indicator from my column shifter. All I have left is actually cutting the tach gauge so the indicator shows through. I gotta find a dremel tool somewhere.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got my hybrid dash installed but the oil pressure gauge is maxed out and doesn’t move. I did swap the sensor out for one that was for a gauge instead of just the light so I don’t know why is isn’t working.

I got the drivers side window regulator installed and the window rolls up so much better now.

I also installed some new hard female seat belts instead of the factory ones that came with the bench seat. Now it’s much easier to buckle up for safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took my 2 door to wooly's today and had fun, but suffered some body damage. Luckily, I have access to a 2 door parts jeep to replace my messed up door, and the rest of the damage should be easy to push back out.
My rockers got a little bent, but not bad, and I intend to replace them with tubing anyway, as they have some rust.
I wish I hadn't tried this trail, but I have done it many times before without any problems.

I wish I hadn't tried this trail, but I have done it many times before without any problems.

This will get you every time. It's kinda like the old "Here, hold my beer, I saw this once..." And then afterwards, your sitting scratching your head wondering what the heck just happened. :cheers:

At least with a 2 door, once I replace/repair that door and fender, I'll have fixed 2/3 of the entire side of the body lol.
I just hate how hard it is to come by 2 door xj's in the junkyard these days. I miss the days before Cash for Clunkers...
I'll repair this damage, and most likely replace my rockers with tubing, and from there I'll be much more careful with my sheetmetal.
My buddy came real close to talking me into financing a side by side after this adventure :(

y5ExHGP.jpg

I picked up this 86 4Runner yesterday. 268,000 on the clock and it started right up and purred like a kitten. All gears shifted great and it drove the 160+ miles back home with no problem.

Nice find, Brian.

Eric, I did a trail like that at Wooly's once - Will He Make It. Tore my rig up on the passenger side. Brian was there. I'm sure he remembers!

49324782567_e4588dc11e_z.jpg

49324566341_14d82f2312_z.jpg

Last edited:
Dayum!
Mine's not as bad as that, I just need a door and some love with a football and a bike pump.
Brian, that yota is mega secksy!
I have a contact who has a Toyota-only junkyard in Woodbury, if you're interested in good used parts for cheap. He keeps several solid front axles handy as well, wink wink. ;)

I installed a new valve cover gasket and modified the vale cover to try and reduce the amount of oil going into the air box. Hopefully that will solve two issues of oil leaving the engine...

Some will remember me, some wont and some already know. I built many Jeeps over the years but the one I regretted selling 8 years ago is finally back in my possession and just as it was when I sold it, even the same Goodyear m/tr Kevlars, aside from some serious neglect. After picking it up just before Christmas I swear all I've done every weekend since then is clean. When I think I've made progress I find more mud. I finally resulted to gutting it today and taking the hose to the inside. Roof to floor, side to side... twice. Getting close to ready for a fresh interior as it was all so bad I found it easier to throw the old away and find new everything. Also replaced the junky second electric fan and put a mechanical back in.

Some will remember me, some wont and some already know. I built many Jeeps over the years but the one I regretted selling 8 years ago is finally back in my possession and just as it was when I sold it, even the same Goodyear m/tr Kevlars, aside from some serious neglect. After picking it up just before Christmas I swear all I've done every weekend since then is clean. When I think I've made progress I find more mud. I finally resulted to gutting it today and taking the hose to the inside. Roof to floor, side to side... twice. Getting close to ready for a fresh interior as it was all so bad I found it easier to throw the old away and find new everything. Also replaced the junky second electric fan and put a mechanical back in.

I'm glad you got it back!! I know it was you guys' baby.

I got the factory temp sensor installed and now all but the fuel gauge works on the new dash. I also got my new tailgate handle installed and got new license plate lights wired into the rear bumper. I put new heater hoses in it too because the others were spliced and all jacked up. It's coming together...

I have a headlight that is flickering in and out on the XK. I pulled the bulb to find that the harness connector had some melting on it. Went to the junkyard and pulled a new harness so that I can rewire that.

The thing I'm dreading is that to remove the headlight assembly so that I have room to work is that the bumper has to come off, as well as the aftermarket driving lights. That's going to be a pain in the butt.

I pulled motors on two lawn mowers over the weekend and put one back trying to find an oil leak on a Husqvarna. I also started doing a bit of work to the 4Runner. The previous owner had apparently hit something with the front bumper that pushed up the passenger side mount and bent the front body mount bolt. I broke all the bolts loose and am currently getting all new grade 8 bolts that actually fit the bumper frame mounts so I can reattached. I'm also planning on replacing all ten body mounts since they all look like the bushings are about to crumble to pieces.

I pulled motors on two lawn mowers over the weekend and put one back trying to find an oil leak on a Husqvarna. I also started doing a bit of work to the 4Runner. The previous owner had apparently hit something with the front bumper that pushed up the passenger side mount and bent the front body mount bolt. I broke all the bolts loose and am currently getting all new grade 8 bolts that actually fit the bumper frame mounts so I can reattached. I'm also planning on replacing all ten body mounts since they all look like the bushings are about to crumble to pieces.

I used hockey pucks on my 1980 Hilux with the v8 swap. They worked great!
Over the weekend I didn't do much to my Jeep, other than looking at it with shame for bashing it up on New Year's.
I spent my rainy weekend taking care of all the maintenance on my motorcycles. I can't wait for warm, sunny days to come back.

I got the windows tinted in the MJ. As a whole I like the look of tinted windows and I really like how the truck looks now.

I need to make a run to the PAP to see what I can score there.

Back