• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

On top of all the neat stuff that happened at Ed's yesterday, I decided to start bedlining the sides of my jeep. Aside from some runs and a little overspray (which i can clean up with some brake fluid and/or fine sandpaper) i think it's going to turn out ok.

I went to a Mud Bog. Made the incorrect decision to take my red DD Jeep down the trails on the property. I told myself I wasn't getting in any mud deeper than the center caps... As I was riding thru a muddy spot in the trail about 6 inches deep my headlights disappeared and mud/water came half way up the hood. 1 dead alternator, 2 ruined H4 conversion headlight housings and 1 ruined Hella 200FF. :( Then I took some pictures.

CCOC61613-7076_zpsc9b9f359.jpg

CCOC61613-7096_zps53b0d78f.jpg

CCOC61613-7064_zps36588da7.jpg

CCOC61613-7010_zps0705e9d1.jpg

CCOC61613-6985_zps6264fda1.jpg

CCOC61613-6959_zpsd385329e.jpg

(I tried to buy this truck but he wouldn't have it...)
CCOC61613-6827_zpsa523fc87.jpg

CCOC61613-6741_zps26a97594.jpg

Here's the rest of them if you're bored.
http://s29.photobucket.com/user/lowrange2/library/Suttons Mud Bog 6-16-13

Also, had a fantastic Father's Day with all my little girls. All 3 of them. They gave me a new BFH and took me to dinner!

Got some yard work done Friday night and cleaned up the DD. Put 100 shells through a 12 gauge Saturday morning shooting clays, then rode up to High Rock Lake to help a buddy pull a motor out of a seadoo because it had a problem. He bought it knowing it had a problem, just didn't know what exactly. Added some oil to it after he bought it but 6 quarts later and it still wasn't registering on the dip stick. We got the motor out and found out it had a see-through block...

Went and saw my old man for fathers day today, then for the 3rd weekend in a row I chased more A/C issues on mom's Jeep. Hopefully it's squared away now, but time will tell. $275 later it's got a brand new compressor, orifice tube, and accumulator. Picked up one of those head lights restoration kits today and polished up the headlights on my step dads Tundra in between A/C work for his father's day. For $26, the kit did a pretty decent job. Still had some fine scratches on it and some faint cloudy spots, but it's a vast improvement from how they were.

After this past weekends mud bog Dad's lockright started popping and clunking...

Pulled the cover and found what appeared to be chocolate pudding in place of gear oil.

and who'd have guessed it? Broken Lock Right pins.

Now I get to pull his axle apart.

Picked up one of those head lights restoration kits today and polished up the headlights on my step dads Tundra in between A/C work for his father's day. For $26, the kit did a pretty decent job. Still had some fine scratches on it and some faint cloudy spots, but it's a vast improvement from how they were.

I assume the Tundra headlight covers are the plastic, like the ZJ and WJ were. In that case, a cheaper alternative. TOOTHPASTE. Yep, you read it right. Put some toothpaste on each headlight cover and massage it in like you would putting wax on the paint, then buff it out. Made a huge difference.

Been about a week and a half now since I got the project done, but I got the hood vents installed. Found a set of LeBaron vents. Took it out on one major drive so far - about 60 miles each way to Ed's place. Not one time did my temp gauge hit 210. I haven't put an IR thermometer on it yet, but after shutting the truck off, the hood stays tolerable to the touch, while the air coming out of the vent is pretty hot. I'm quite pleased with the outcome, and the few that have seen the Jeep with them on said that it looks pretty good also.

I started by taping off the area, then using cardboard templates to transfer the cut lines onto the painters tape. Went in 5 inches from the top line and one inch from the center crease line. Used a jigsaw with a metal blade to do the cutting. If I had it to do over, I would have cut the template on the outside of the line. I was worried about cutting it too big, but turns out that cutting too small was as big an issue because trimming the hole to fit was problematic with a jigsaw.

IMG_0716_zps6b7977d2.jpg

IMG_0718_zps491946aa.jpg

IMG_0724_zps3020f91c.jpg

IMG_0727_zps271064aa.jpg

IMG_0728_zpsfbf70891.jpg

Get yourself a spare TPS dirk......or make a splash shield for it.

I assume the Tundra headlight covers are the plastic, like the ZJ and WJ were. In that case, a cheaper alternative. TOOTHPASTE. Yep, you read it right. Put some toothpaste on each headlight cover and massage it in like you would putting wax on the paint, then buff it out. Made a huge difference.

I had heard and read about that in the past. Wasn't sure how well it worked. If/when they do it again, i'll give it a try.

This wouldn't be experience talking would it? :D

You probably need a driveshaft about 1-1.5" shorter, iirc.

95- right? Just get a driveshaft from the boneyard from a donor with the same engine/trans, 4x4, and either a d44 or 8.25 rear, made 95 or earlier.

You probably need a driveshaft about 1-1.5" shorter, iirc.

95- right? Just get a driveshaft from the boneyard from a donor with the same engine/trans, 4x4, and either a d44 or 8.25 rear, made 95 or earlier.

Thanks man. Looks like it'll be another week then. I don't get much time to hit he boneyards lately. at least I'm only on 31's still. Not too likely to break anything...

It stays garaged, so not too worried when I'm home. Otherwise, when I get to doing overnights and camping, I was kind of thinking of just getting a couple large pieces of magnet and slap them over the vents during the night if rain is in the forecast.

I'll probably grab one, just in case though Aaron.

I had heard and read about that in the past. Wasn't sure how well it worked. If/when they do it again, i'll give it a try.

This wouldn't be experience talking would it? :D

Nah, I won't need the drip trays for this trip........:doh:

It stays garaged, so not too worried when I'm home. Otherwise, when I get to doing overnights and camping, I was kind of thinking of just getting a couple large pieces of magnet and slap them over the vents during the night if rain is in the forecast.

I'll probably grab one, just in case though Aaron.

Yeah, two hours of hard rain between Lexington and Harlan is not good for the TPS. Molly drove my jeep to town the next morning before I drove it. she came back saying it was idling high....Thankfully Tim had a less shitty TPS in his Jeep.

Yeah, two hours of hard rain between Lexington and Harlan is not good for the TPS. Molly drove my jeep to town the next morning before I drove it. she came back saying it was idling high....Thankfully Tim had a less shitty TPS in his Jeep.

Key word there is "less." That one I gave you had been liquified by me while washing the engine bay one day.

Still better than what you had!

They do dry out eventually, it takes weeks/months though, unless you put them in the oven at like 180 degrees for a few hours.

- Ken "don't hit the clean cycle, it smells bad... real bad" Stein

Back