• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

water in floorboard

I also had water coming through the cowl seam. When I cut the cowl for the intake swap, I put a bunch of sealant on the inside of the seam all the way across, helped somewhat

I've seen other people make splash shield for the blower motor, using a piece of plastic (like part of a bleach bottle) with the end cut into tabs then folded and pinched behind the gasket

Okay ... not sure I understand all the potential areas for leaks.

My XJ has never leaked, then all of a sudden it has started to drip water on the passenger side floor matt (near the kick panel) after running through the car wash or when it rains.

It's not much.. just a small wet spot that dries quickly.

What do you guys think? ... the gasket that seals the HVAC fan motor to the firewall is really bad... but it appears the leak is dripping straight down and somewhere from the cowl or possibly the windshield near the corner.

I read that everyone has water on the passenger side. My water leak is on my driver side. One night it was so bad I had to change my shoes twice as it leaked right on my right foot.
Took the wiper cowl apart and put water in there to make sure the drains were draining and they were. Added silicone around my windshield and it no longer drips on my foot but still soaks the driver floor carpet. Nothing wet on the headliner, seat, dash, just the carpet in the driver floor.

Any ideas other than the windshield?
1999 XJ

I had leaks on both sides too and think I've cured 99% of it from sealing up the cowl seam like in that picture and around the blower housing. I had areas like what is circled above on both sides. If you look at that area you'll see all kinds of spots where the factory sealant wasn't adequate.

I have her in the garage now so I will do the seal on the cowl and hope that is the issue.
Really dont want to call a glass company but if I knew 100% it would fix the issue i would pay the 150-200.

It is driving me nuts!!! Makes me miss my 2001 XJ as she was perfect with 46K miles.

One other thing to check as my 96 passenger side floor board was about 1/2 in deep in water one morning is check the hole where your antenna wire comes in. My rubber grommet that goes around the wire had pushed out and thats where all my water was coming in at, since I dont have the splash guards in there and a replacement fender that the PO put on that doesnt line up right. Pushed it back in a put some silicone around it for good measure. Hoping that was my only problem. No more puddles but its still drying out. Did drill a few small holes in the floor in various places to help drain and avoid any future puddles. Carpet will be getting ripped out soon anyway!! Hope my rambling helps someone!

I read that everyone has water on the passenger side. My water leak is on my driver side. One night it was so bad I had to change my shoes twice as it leaked right on my right foot.
Took the wiper cowl apart and put water in there to make sure the drains were draining and they were. Added silicone around my windshield and it no longer drips on my foot but still soaks the driver floor carpet. Nothing wet on the headliner, seat, dash, just the carpet in the driver floor.

Any ideas other than the windshield?
1999 XJ

I have water leak on drivers side but that is due to the fuse panel where it comes into the cab. The original gasket or grommet fell apart and began leaking. I would also recommend replacing the hood seal as well to keep as much water as you can off the firewall.

Back