• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

water damage

With dynomat it's more for sound deadening and minor heat blockage, but is still flexible and if you put herculiner on top of it once the herc dries and becomes rigid if the dynomat is ever flexed will cause the herc to crack and flake off. As far as heat problems some people say that it's hot enough to cook eggs on but I'm not sure they even have it in their rig. Since I've done mine I can drive for a solid hour in stop and go traffic then put my hand directly on the trans hump and it's only slightly warm. Only problem with herculiner is that it takes forever to get the fumes out completely.

I heard places like bed bath and beyond have something called Lava rocks that absorb odors and fumes. I was also told you can slice up onions and lay em in a dish of water. Not sure what that does and why but it'll probably make your jeep smell like onions so I wouldnt do it.
Summit has heat sheild mat but I dont want it to flex and chip the liner, does highheat spray paint repell any heat or is it just to withstand it?

cut the ends off some balloons and put them over the electrical connectors and zip tie the ends. probably wont help if you submerge it but sure helps with splashing.

Or you can also use the heatshrink butt conectors, My shops got a bunch and for now on, everything I put in is getting em just to play it safe.

How is the noise on the inside when you guys herculine...I would imagine a little louder but not musch considering it probaby seals well enough to keep the majority out...? I know i shouldnt care but shes my DD back and forth from school everyother weekend I net close to 350 miles on the highway... wouldnt mind some noise but dont want it to sound like I have holes in my floors....

damn, that rusty bed looks alot better with herculine, but that shouldn't be a problem on my xj since it's getting sanded then freshly painted soon. how is it for sound and vibration insulation?

It's kind of a give and take. When considering doing herc on the inside the best way to determine if it's needed is remove some of the plastic trim in the rear cargo area and lift up the carpet to see if there's rust and how much. If you're lucky and there's no rust then I wouldn't do it but if you have large rust spots then it's the best way to stop the rust and prevent it from coming back. As for noise there will be an increase in noise but several factors come into play. On mine I don't have a cat and I'm running a custom exhaust with aftermarket muffler and have the turndown under the rear seats so it's more audible than a stock exhaust would be. I can also hear the fuel pump a little more than before but the sounds aren't deafening. The carpet in the xj's is a two piece design with the cargo area and under the back of the rear seat 1 piece and the front another piece. If you want to see how much of an increase in noise you will have pull out just the rear piece and drive like that for a week and it would be pretty close. Most people that do the herc inside are the ones that regularly go through deep water and would get water inside their rig so it prevents the carpet and underpadding from being soaked and staying soaked for a long time. I've done it and only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

dave92cherokee is right on. I did the Herculiner and I wouldn't go back to carpet for anything. When I did it I started with the back half from where the jack is stored all the way back to the rear hatch. It went on pretty well since I actually followed directions. Sometimes I see people that talk crap on Hurculiner, but if you look at their rigs they didn't follow the necessary steps as noted on the label. Once I did the rear I could hear the fuel pump a little more on the trail and at startup, but I've become used to it. Then I did the front a few months later. I had a few rust spots that we cut out and laid some new sheet metal in to replace it. The noise wasn't too bad considering I have 33's, 4.56's, and about 8.5 inches of lift.

One big thing that I noticed was how much water entered into the floor pans after a wash or a good rain. If I had the carpet in there it would just soak in and create moisture problems, so I'm glad that is gone. To fix it I made flush mounted drain plug brackets out of some pyrimid shaped electrical boxes with 1/2 inch plugs from the hardware store and mounted it to the underside of the jeep. With a pre cut 3/4 inch hole in the floor on each side too. I really like the drains and the ability to take a water hose to the inside of the jeep when needed. I'm a noob, so I don't know how to post pictures yet or otherwise I would show them off.

For the fumes you guys are right. It takes a week or two to get it all out, but it still beats out old wet and nasty carpet smell to me! After awhile the odor is gone.

Another thing you could use for drain plugs is what I did. All the little 1 inch factory plugs I popped out and took the little rubber ring or whatever it is off. Then I went down to o'reilly's auto parts but I'm sure auto zone and advance and others would have them as well. In the section that has all the little parts like hinge pins, door handles, and all that stuff there's also some small master cylinder covers I believe they were for old chrysler's or something. They're a small rubber plug that has a little hat that is inside them and they're about 1" in diameter I bought all that they had as they're 2 in a pack and they fit right in where the factory drains go. Just line up one side and push the center down and then push it the rest of the way in place and it's a nice water tight seal that can be easily removed from inside if you go through a water crossing or whatever.

I just removed the back half of the carpet since it was wet and nasty.
I have 2 holes cut in the floor to get to the upper shock bolts, is that factory or did some knuckle head do it? Thanks

Forgot to ask, can you Herculine over rubberized undercoating spray?
Or over insulation mat? I dont want the noise and the cold to get bad since my rigs a DD.

I was afraid of that, I'm going to plug em with a huge gromet or something. Do you know if I can Herculine over an insulation mat or spray? Just wanna quite the nois a bit. Thanks

Could you do the herculine type liner and then make removable dynomat and carpet sections if the rig will not be out on the trail alot?

~Alex

It's possible to do that but most people that do herc don't care about road noise because they've already got alot due to lift and off road tires and other factors. If you want to keep alot of the noise out then you could go through and herc the inside and then cut the carpet so it can be put in and taken out when needed. You could cut it so you can slide the back piece in in one piece and then have another piece for the back seat floors and under the front seats, and the last two pieces for the front floorboards. So when you want to go wheelin just pull them out and after you get done and it's dry throw them back in.

alex22 said:
Could you do the herculine type liner and then make removable dynomat and carpet sections if the rig will not be out on the trail alot?

~Alex
yes

My rigs my daily driver but its got about 8" of lift and pretty aggresive 33's so I'm used to noise, I just dont like the sound of the fuel pump.
I may try to test some herculine on some kind of insulation first and if it dont work
I'll just apply extra coats and put in a piece of carpet or rubber mat, I can live with the noise though so If its still loud its ok.

Back