• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water coming out of exaust

PWRDrill

NAXJA Forum User
I Have searched around, and I'd like you guys to confirm what I'm thinking here.

I just got back today from beating the hell out of my XJ on some big sand hills. (4lo pedal to the floor type) It's overheating now, and I have water dripping out of the exaust when she's running.

This is a 95 4.0l auto.

It's not overheating badly, but overheating nonetheless.

Probably a headgasket? Let me know what you think... The engine still runs strong, and doesn't overheat at highway speeds. Idling it will slowly overheat however. No oil found in the coolant, and no coolant in the oil.

I will most likely do the whole thermostat/flush/chemical test thing, but I'm not too familiar with water dripping out of the exaust. (except for condensation).

I idled it with the hood up, trying to see if I could find anything wrong
and found nothing. It would heat up past 200 very quickly but stay about halfway between 200 and red, and then slowly creep up. (20+ min).

After running like this, I saw the exaust dripping what smelled like water from the exaust constantly.

"whew", at least none of you will be asking me for more details... :p

ideas?

Kevin

Last edited:
Well, I went out and bought a thermostat and radiator cap to eliminate the easy stuff, and on the trip there it was fine. No overheat whatsoever. I've been driving it around and it seems quite normal now. All it did was sit overnight - I haven't replaced a thing yet, and the constant flow of water from the exhaust is gone.

Anyone seen this before?

Kevin

Umm, well, water is normal for any car/truck with a cat. Your just talking about a little bit of clean water coming out the tail pipe, right? That's normal.

Or are you having white smoke come out your tail pipe. Are you loosing coolant?

Back