• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Warranty on Alloy Wheels?

JeepFreak21

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking about picking up some Classic II knock-offs and I was comparing the warranty with the real Classic IIs.

The Mickey Thompson's have a lifetime warranty whereas the Summit wheels have a 90 days warranty. Both are on manufacturer defects. So... even with the Mickey Thompsons, if I crack a rim on a rock, that's not going to be covered, is it?

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth the extra $25/wheel.

Thanks,
Billy

The Mickey Thompson's have a lifetime warranty whereas the Summit wheels have a 90 days warranty. Both are on manufacturer defects. So... even with the Mickey Thompsons, if I crack a rim on a rock, that's not going to be covered, is it?

Of course it wouldn't be covered, there is no reason for MT/Summit to pay for your damage. Only if they messed up on something when they made it. Typically, though there are very few issues with alloy wheels as far as defects go. With the Classic II style wheels, balance is really the only possible thing. With a steel wheel, I used to see balance issues and pinhole leaks a lot. Never saw any issues with alloy wheels, until you got into the fancier ones. Missing a couple bolts from a Classic Lock, or the clearcoat corrosion issue with the DC-1s. And still, nothing structural.

Of course it wouldn't be covered, there is no reason for MT/Summit to pay for your damage. Only if they messed up on something when they made it. Typically, though there are very few issues with alloy wheels as far as defects go. With the Classic II style wheels, balance is really the only possible thing. With a steel wheel, I used to see balance issues and pinhole leaks a lot. Never saw any issues with alloy wheels, until you got into the fancier ones. Missing a couple bolts from a Classic Lock, or the clearcoat corrosion issue with the DC-1s. And still, nothing structural.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Basically not much that coulndn't be found in the first 90 days?
Billy

right. Usually during balancing or a week later when you notice a flat tire. :) It's hard to mess up an alloy wheel.

I love my alloy wheels. Only 19lbs a piece!

Back