• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thread of Brake Pads and Rotors to Achieve Best Stopping Power

A few observations of my own (primarily to be considered anecdotal - I haven't run any sort of testing on these observations, either "scientific" or "real-world." This also relates to various vehicles, various drivers, and various situations - from a girlfriend I had who went through four wheels' worth of brakes every 6-8 months to myself and my wife - who can usually get 3-4 years out of a set of brakes. YMMV.)

Fluid - change at least semi-annually. Brake fluid is hygroscopic - meaning it attracts and retains atmospheric moisture. Change by sucking the fluid out of the master cylinder reservoir (don't uncover the ports in the bottom!) and wiping that section out, then refill with fresh. And by "fresh", I mean a bottle you just broke the foil seal on. Bleed at wheels in normal order (farthest to nearest,) running the vacuum on the bleeder nipple until you get clean, clear fluid through the hose. This not only will change your brake fluid, but it also helps to flush ancillary crud out of your system. And, if you note that the fluid comes out almost black - plan on changing hydraulics in short order (something else you're not likely to see with a "gravity bleed" - but you might with a "pressure bleed.") One of the two main causes of brake "fade" is steam voids forming in the fluid from accumulated water under sudden braking from speed - the water boils up. Steam is compressible, brake fluid ain't. This is why steam voids can lead to brake fade. (The other cause is "pad gassing" - more on that in a minute.)

Pads & Rotors - Opinions vary in the service world on what I'm about to say, but I picked it up from racing tech literature (Pro-Am, Street/Strip stuff) - brake friction and metal should not be replaced at the same time. Ideally, you will bed a new rotor with pads that are already bedded, and vice versa.

"Bedding?" Yes - all new pads will outgas (release trapped gasses when heated) - it's just the nature of the beast. There's nothing that can be done about it, and that's what makes break-in periods so bloody important. By properly releasing that gas with controlled heating, you preserve the structure of the friction material (yes, it is possible that pads/shoes can crack and/or shatter if you don't bed them properly.) This is why outfits like Wilwood and Baer will go so far as to sell their pads "pre-bedded" - they will "bed" them to a test rotor on an in-house brake dynamometer, and they're all set up for a new rotor when you install them (since the pads aren't technically "new" - even though they've never been on a vehicle.)

With rotors/drums, you're not dealing with outgassing. However, bedding is no less important - cf. "normalizing" of metal castings for more information (brake rotors/drums are almost invariably iron castings - typically grey iron.) In short, normalising will release internal stresses from uneven cooling through the casting, and by controlling the application and dissipation of heat you control the concentration and dissipation of those stresses, and that residual internal stress can be reduced to nil. NB: This is the same reason that "proven" (read: used - prefereably in a grocery-getter) engine component castings are preferred for high-performance buildups than brand-spankin'-new castings - residual stresses are gone, and that removes one potential mode of failure.

Rotor Surfaces - Much debate exists on the relative merits of solid/vented/drilled/slotted/milled/dimpled/whatever rotors (or a combination of any two or more of the previous.) Why are rotors sold as anything other than solid? Simple - heat. When you apply brakes to slow down or stop, you are converting kinetic energy (motion of the vehicle) to heat energy. Remember the "Law of Conservation of Energy?" "Energy can neither be created nor destroyed." Therefore, it can only be converted - and this can mean loads of heat. I don't recall the formula offhand (I'm sure I have it somewhere,) but the conversion of the KE of two tons of metal moving forward at 60 miles per hours results in one Hell of a lot of heat - whether you express it in British Thermal Units (increase the temperature of one cubic inch of water by one degree Fahrenheit) or calories (increase the temperature of one cubic centimeter of water by one degree centigrade.) I do know one thing offhand - if you are silly enough to touch a brake rotor after a hard stop from freeway speeds, you are not likely to have fingerprints afterwards.

Any surface machining of the brake rotor (drilling/milling/slotting/grooving/whatever) results in an increase in the surface area of the rotor, which allows for more heat rejection and faster cooling. This leads to a reduction in brake fade due to pad outgassing, as well as a reduction in trapped air under the pad surface (not technically "fade", but it does affect braking action.)

The catch? Any time you have a sharp edge or corner, it acts as a heat concentrator and a stress riser. Anytime you concentrate heat (for whatever reason,) you further increase thermal stress - so you've got a double-whammy if you just drill a hole. Middlin' drilled/slotted rotors will have a chamfer leading into the hole or slot - while it doubles the number of corners, it also significantly reduces the effect - and it comes out to be somewhat less than a raw drilled hole. The really good rotors will be drilled/slotted, and then be radiused going into the hole/slot, so there is no corner to concentrate heat or stress! I have yet to evaluate these, but they do make good sense from the standpoint of pure engineering. I haven't looked into them in a while, but I recall they weren't cheap.

Are these for everyone? Hell, no! If you run in sand; probably not a good idea, stick with solid/vented rotors. If you run in mud; definitely not a good idea! The holes/slots will rapidly clog up with crap you pick up from the trail.

Street/strip rigs? Sure - they're not going to see enough contamination to be a real threat. Rockers? Probably good - as long as they stay out of the gooey or shifty stuff. Stay on dry rocks, and you'll probably have a benefit to stopping action and instances where brake action will help you climb.

Brake Fluid - Stick to a quality fluid. If you've got it in mind to change DOT spec - say, DOT3 to synthetic silicone, DOT3-DOT5, or even DOT3-DOT4, then you're going to do a flush of all of the hardlines and replace all of the softlines and the hydraulic parts (rubber seals soak up fluid as well, and DOT3/DOT4/DOT5/Silicone are mutually incompatible.) You won't need to change the booster - fluid isn't supposed to be in there - but you'll have to change the master cylinder, the wheels cylinders, and anything else rubber. And when I say "flush out the hardlines," that's precisely what I mean - it may be easier to replace them outright, if you have the means to (if not, blowing a full can of brake cleaner through them might do, but I wouldn't guarantee it.) So, you see the headache you could be letting yourself in for there.

As I'd said, this is primarily anecdotal, and I may have gotten a couple of things crossed (but I doubt it.) If anyone can prove me wrong, please feel free to do so - but it won't be as easy as telling me I'm full of it. Let me know where I can look to correct my own misinformation...

I bought a used D30 from a guy who drilled his own rotors... and they were full of crap. If anything I would guess drilled/slotted rotors are just going to do the same crap collecting... end result = less heat dissipating and if anything more heat buildup from dirt holding the heat.

this is talking about an offroad machine, that would see some mud or loose dirt as opposed to constant DD.

I bought a used D30 from a guy who drilled his own rotors... and they were full of crap. If anything I would guess drilled/slotted rotors are just going to do the same crap collecting... end result = less heat dissipating and if anything more heat buildup from dirt holding the heat.

this is talking about an offroad machine, that would see some mud or loose dirt as opposed to constant DD.

You can collect just as much and more mud and crap in the venting as you would in very tiny drilled holes in the rotor. A dimpled hole is better than a drilled hole though. Tiny pebbles are more of problem with drilled.

Wow, that's good info. Backs up most of what I've known. Have you tried Hawk's? I run them on my civic with 11" rotors, and stopping power is godlike, which is expected with the brake setup. :) I know they make them for the XJ, just curious. May have to go for yellows though. Running Motul 600 in it with f/r upgraded discs.

Yes I have tried the Hawk pad people were recommending (I forget the series) with the power slot rotors (I tried them with Centric premiums, not slotted). They where about as good as most premium sets but not good enough to actually buy. They're better then stock, but not a ton better.

The slotted and dimpled rotors cool alot faster than a solid disc rotor which is why i believe vehicles such as our Jeeps with large tires and some weight to boot, you really need a rotor such as this to get the performance out of quality pads such as Hawk, EBC or any other pad.
When wheeling brakefade is pretty much non exisitant, and on the highway hard stops are not a factor either. I have yet to crack one, how does one crack a rotor? I'm supposing you get what you pay for.
Also another great help in stopping is SS Brakelines. I have a set of Russell from Edelbrock front and rear and the line flex is more controlled. For $100 they are a great investment.

Rotor Surfaces - Much debate exists on the relative merits of solid/vented/drilled/slotted/milled/dimpled/whatever rotors (or a combination of any two or more of the previous.) Why are rotors sold as anything other than solid? Simple - heat. When you apply brakes to slow down or stop, you are converting kinetic energy (motion of the vehicle) to heat energy. Remember the "Law of Conservation of Energy?" "Energy can neither be created nor destroyed." Therefore, it can only be converted - and this can mean loads of heat. I don't recall the formula offhand (I'm sure I have it somewhere,) but the conversion of the KE of two tons of metal moving forward at 60 miles per hours results in one Hell of a lot of heat - whether you express it in British Thermal Units (increase the temperature of one cubic inch of water by one degree Fahrenheit) or calories (increase the temperature of one cubic centimeter of water by one degree centigrade.) I do know one thing offhand - if you are silly enough to touch a brake rotor after a hard stop from freeway speeds, you are not likely to have fingerprints afterwards.

You guys are really stuck on this heat thing, if this was a racing board you'd fit right in, as you should because that's where it comes into play. The kind of heat where a slotted or drilled rotor is needed never comes into play on a Jeep unless you're racing it. Daily driving, rock crawling, off-roading, fishing, hunting etc just doesn't cause heat beyond what is healthy for your brake system.

I will lay down as fact that the more material on a rotor contacting the pads the better your stopping distances will be. In a situation such as racing where the heat is so great rotors turn red they need to give up some of the rotor itself to stop the gassing. In these cases they use slotted/drilled and increase the rotor size to get that material back. Of course, this is in street car racing 1970s type racing, now they do it with space age material that blow my mind. But the concept was developed way back in the days and is still used in racing.

Keep in mind, pads like Semi Metallic and EBC use different metals in their pads for effect. These metals work better the hotter you get them. If anyone is driving with these type pads try this. While cold go 10 MPH and come to a stop, now get up to speed and slam on them a few times. Go that 10 mph again and come to a stop, it'll jerk the car.

If you're worried about brake fade at least see if you have ever had brake fade. Take your Jeep out and do some crazy braking in a safe area. Slam on the brake pedal locking up the tires (well, close to no reason to destroy tires) about 10 times in a row and see if you still have brakes. I think it's fair to say no one hear slams on the brakes 10 times in a row, so try it. You'll find nothing happens to your brakes, they may ever work better depending on the pads you have. So what are you fixing with slotted or dimpled?

I've run the powerslot hawk combo and it was pretty good. I changed over to the centric rotors and wagner premium pads and I think they stop better than the hawk combo. Maybe the next set of pads will be the EBC yellows

See this guy here? I doubt there was much difference between the Wagner premiums and the Hawks, it was him adding more material to his rotors giving him the better braking.

There's a lot of good information about brakes out there, unfortunately not all brakes are equal. Racing brakes have nothing to do with Jeep and/or Off Road brakes. It makes guys really worry about over heating their brakes when they should really be worried about pressures, caliper sizes, rotor sizes, pad choices etc.

Most of you guys are taking 2 Door Passenger Cars and turning them into trucks. If you looked at a YJ or CJ or XJ, their master cylinder, booster, calipers, shoes etc they match up perfectly to a Monza or a Vega, tiny little cars. TJs did better with the booster but nothing else. WJs got most of it right.

You guys wouldn't put 33 inch tires on a Vega and add another 1-2 thousand pounds and expect anything to work. But you're doing it on the same type brake systems on your jeeps. You need to take your brake system up to the size of the vehicle you're creating. That double diaphragm booster upgrade, very smart. Most 1/2 to 3/4 ton trucks use a double diaphragm booster. There's your pressure fix. That'll fix it for the most guys but adding better calipers, rotor and pads help a ton also.

Unfortunately Dana 30 and 44s have a flaw in their front brake system that causes flex, the flex cause damage to the knuckles. Most of you know the flex, that's what's happening when you're coming to a stop and everything seems OK, then you decide you want to stop faster so you lay into the pedal but you don't slow down any better. You get this wall in your brake pedal where no matter how much pressure you shove into it, you're not slowing down any more. That's the front brake system flexing, once that starts you will not get any more braking, maybe even less.

That's where a better front braking system comes into play. They WJ conversion or mine. It fixes a inherent defect built into those brakes. Premium rotors and better pads will help in this situation. It won't fix the flex, but it helps that medium braking before it flexes perhaps enough where you don't need to hit the pedal hard enough causing the flex.

Agree with Van. The cross-drilling/slotted for heat thing is being overestimated. Remember, if it reduces heat quicker it will also increase heat faster. Same concept as heavy-barrelled rifles. Frankly I dont expect significant cooling due to the holes (but I have no data). In the fast-car world the practice is primarly to permit the gasses produced from the burning of the pad material to escape. Otherwise it produces gas "bubbles" between the pad and rotor which cause the pad to float and appear as fade. Push harder but no more braking.

But I also think that fade IS a factor in our jeeps. Towing, heavy load-out, down hill, etc., any driving that causes heavy braking or continuous braking will heat the system enough to cause fade.

For such an important system why do so many try to cheap out? Those guys with the $200 wheels that are worried about the dust messing them up just spent more than a good upgrade. I guess they would rather spend $800 on bling than performance?

I'll xWhatever the "brake fade is an issue" - not everyone is running their jeeps on 35's at 5 miles an hour. I use mine to drive delivery for beer money - in Park City, Utah. 10% grades & switchbacks, every night. If I don't put it in 1st and crawl down at 20, brake fade becomes an issue real quick.

I installed a set of Cragar Slotted/Crossdrilled Cryogenicly treated rotors and their Extreme Truck/Tow pads just before my trip to Ouray,Co. this summer. I almost lost my brakes coming into Telluride(the rotors were over 400*,I had my infared thermometer with me for evaluating purposes),Im totally convinced my stock rotors would not have survived(BTW,this was towing my 3000# camp trailer that has electric brakes).I did this conversion based on my previous towing experiances.

Last edited:
Brake Fluid - Stick to a quality fluid. If you've got it in mind to change DOT spec - say, DOT3 to synthetic silicone, DOT3-DOT5, or even DOT3-DOT4, then you're going to do a flush of all of the hardlines and replace all of the softlines and the hydraulic parts (rubber seals soak up fluid as well, and DOT3/DOT4/DOT5/Silicone are mutually incompatible.) You won't need to change the booster - fluid isn't supposed to be in there - but you'll have to change the master cylinder, the wheels cylinders, and anything else rubber. And when I say "flush out the hardlines," that's precisely what I mean - it may be easier to replace them outright, if you have the means to (if not, blowing a full can of brake cleaner through them might do, but I wouldn't guarantee it.) So, you see the headache you could be letting yourself in for there.

Actually DOT 3 and DOT 4 fluids are compatible, both are glycol-based fluids. DOT 4 contains borate ester compounds to increase the boiling temperature ratings. There should not be a problem switching from DOT 3 to DOT 4, it will not harm any hydraulics and will not attack any rubber components. I have switched three vehicles from DOT 3 to DOT 4 with no ill effects, of course the only positive effect was noted on the first vehicle, a street-legal track car that was having problems boiling brake fluid at high temperatures.

DOT 5 is a different animal, it is as you suggest, and should never be mixed with DOT 3 or DOT 4. It will not mix properly with DOT 3&4 fluid and can pick up deposits to form a sludge, clogging metering orifices, etc., similar to switching to synthetic transmission fluid in a 200k mile transmission.

Also, do not flush your brake system with anything except proper DOT brake fluid. A petroleum-based solvent like mineral spirits, or isopropyl alcohol, will attack the rubber components very quickly and can cause severe damage to o-rings and seals in short order.

If you are looking for some good info on brake fluids, check out this very informative article written by an individual who seems quite qualified to comment on the subject:
http://importnut.net/brakefluid.htm

I don't understand why anyone thinks the EBC green (or any of their pads for that matter) are "good." Sure they might be slightly better than stock, but for the amount of dust created and fade they have...simply not worth the $. EBC in the road racing community is simply a joke.

Hawk HPS or HP+ on the other hand are probubly the best bang for the buck out there. If you want the absolute best pad, go with Carbotech but look forward to spending upwards of $100 a pair. PBR or Brembo blanks are also the best bet for any jeep. IMO any slotted or drilled rotor on a jeep is a little rediculous considering it's application. Topic over, lock the thread. :p

Last edited:
Actually DOT 3 and DOT 4 fluids are compatible, both are glycol-based fluids. DOT 4 contains borate ester compounds to increase the boiling temperature ratings. There should not be a problem switching from DOT 3 to DOT 4, it will not harm any hydraulics and will not attack any rubber components. I have switched three vehicles from DOT 3 to DOT 4 with no ill effects, of course the only positive effect was noted on the first vehicle, a street-legal track car that was having problems boiling brake fluid at high temperatures.

DOT 5 is a different animal, it is as you suggest, and should never be mixed with DOT 3 or DOT 4. It will not mix properly with DOT 3&4 fluid and can pick up deposits to form a sludge, clogging metering orifices, etc., similar to switching to synthetic transmission fluid in a 200k mile transmission.

Also, do not flush your brake system with anything except proper DOT brake fluid. A petroleum-based solvent like mineral spirits, or isopropyl alcohol, will attack the rubber components very quickly and can cause severe damage to o-rings and seals in short order.

If you are looking for some good info on brake fluids, check out this very informative article written by an individual who seems quite qualified to comment on the subject:
http://importnut.net/brakefluid.htm

Ah - thanks for that. I did not know that DOT3 and DOT4 were actually compatible after all - although I did know that DOT5 was very much the "odd man out."

As far as flushing/changing frequency - I meant biennially, not semi-annually. There's a huge difference between "every other year" and "every six months," as anyone who has done the job before can tell you...

Orson_Yancey, Thank you for putting in what must have been a MASSIVE amount of time into compiling all of this data and for sharing it with us. Even if you get a few people who just don't have the time to read all you have listed, at least you can have the satisfaction of starting a good conversation, which will no doubt become the "go to" thread for people who don't use the search function as they ask about what brakes to run. I for one appreciate what you have done here. (And I did read it all, but I'm an insomniac tonight. I won't say that I normally would have the attention span to do so.)

Vancopbs and 5-90, thanks to you also for contributing to this thread in a useful and well thought out manner. As always.

And Daedalus454, same thing. It's not often that I have seen Jon get corrected on anything. :lecture: Well done sir :laugh2:

And Daedalus454, same thing. It's not often that I have seen Jon get corrected on anything. :lecture: Well done sir :laugh2:

Enjoy it, sucker! I work rather hard to make sure that's a rare event...

You should see my references around here. I just can't keep cracking open books every time I answer a tech question, so it's natural that I'll get a wire or two crossed from time to time. But, I do try to make sure that is as rare as possible.

I don't understand why anyone thinks the EBC green (or any of their pads for that matter) are "good." Sure they might be slightly better than stock, but for the amount of dust created and fade they have...simply not worth the $. EBC in the road racing community is simply a joke.

I must be the exception rather than the rule then, as my EBC Greenstuff pads perform excellent with very little brake dust and they grab the slotted and dimpled rotors excellently, which by the way also provide very little in the way of brake fade.
I've done rocks, snow, mud, fire roads, pipelines and they have performed flawlessly. I am on 35" TrXus with a winch up front and a 35" TrXus on the back. That and my tools is a regular load for me and still have yet to see what you are so vehemently trying to dog as terrible product. I would buy the same again in a heartbeat, IMO.

Hawk HPS or HP+ on the other hand are probubly the best bang for the buck out there. If you want the absolute best pad, go with Carbotech but look forward to spending upwards of $100 a pair. PBR or Brembo blanks are also the best bet for any jeep. IMO any slotted or drilled rotor on a jeep is a little rediculous considering it's application. Topic over, lock the thread. :p

Greens are a great low dust pad. Yellows are not a low dust pad (they do have plenty of dust) and simply are not just better then stock. The difference is huge, I have simply not found a better pad for Jeeps (I am not a retailer of these pads). You're argument about greens may have some teeth if you're talking about racing the XJs, but for most Off Roaders it's a great pad, not as great as the yellows though.

I'd be interested to wee where your testing and opinions came from.

Greens are a great low dust pad. Yellows are not a low dust pad (they do have plenty of dust) and simply are not just better then stock. The difference is huge, I have simply not found a better pad for Jeeps (I am not a retailer of these pads). You're argument about greens may have some teeth if you're talking about racing the XJs, but for most Off Roaders it's a great pad, not as great as the yellows though.

I'd be interested to wee where your testing and opinions came from.

8 years of building and road racing honda's. Here's my newest time attack build:

IMG_2273.JPG

Like I said... The greens might be better than stock, but compared to what else is out there they are nothing special. The HPS produces MUCH less dust and fade to boot in my experience. The HP+ is a little more on par with the dust that the greens produce, but with a much higher coefficent of friction and much less fade.

I've always ran Hawk blues on the track, but I don't think I've honestly ever seen anyone on the track running EBC.

Have you ran the HPS pads before? Keep in mind I'm not trying to be a dick. I'm simply stating my experience is all. :)

I was thinking you where getting your info from the track, but didn't want to assume. It's been my experiance unless you're racing the Jeep on a track (and built it for that) the brake experiences are 100% different.

Track: You're at speed heating your brakes with a lighter vehicle more balanced for racing (50/50 55/45). The vehicle is low to the road and balanced. You need a braking system that can take high heat, has high friction that won't lead to brake fade and/or boiling brake fluid. You're interest is controlling the vehicle with the gas pedal, transmission and brakes. They're all tools, you don't want to lock up and come to a complete stop on the track. You need brakes that can constantly take heats that speeds over 100mph constantly activating can create. I myself could not build a racing brake system like this, it's not my field.

Jeep aka Off Road: You're not going fast, in fact you're usually going slow. The Jeep is in no way balanced, it's too high, tires too big and too heavy. In this case you need a brake system that can hold those tires and gearing. Something with pressure and grip that will stop the transmission from pushing right through the brake system. It's actually more important stopping this vehicle when the brakes are cold, when you're on the rocks, mud whatever driving along for 30 minutes get that "oh shit" moment and slam on your brakes. That was one of the problems we had on the Hawks, they didn't like being cold. Jeeps need a beefy, high clamping good in cold and hot situations.

Track: Think of a spinning disc always going 125mph and your constantly trying to slow it down, always keeping extreme heat in the system. Your main goal is not to melt shit. You need something that can handle that heat. Track is saying slow me, cool me, slow me, cool me.

Jeep: Same spinning disc but it's going slow with 10 time the force. You need something like a vise to keep it from moving. Heat is not something that really occurs, just the force of the rotors saying I will not stop I have too much gearing, too much weight, too top heavy, you must make me stop.

Put either brake system on the other and bad things will happen.

I was thinking you where getting your info from the track, but didn't want to assume. It's been my experiance unless you're racing the Jeep on a track (and built it for that) the brake experiences are 100% different.

Track: You're at speed heating your brakes with a lighter vehicle more balanced for racing (50/50 55/45). The vehicle is low to the road and balanced. You need a braking system that can take high heat, has high friction that won't lead to brake fade and/or boiling brake fluid. You're interest is controlling the vehicle with the gas pedal, transmission and brakes. They're all tools, you don't want to lock up and come to a complete stop on the track. You need brakes that can constantly take heats that speeds over 100mph constantly activating can create. I myself could not build a racing brake system like this, it's not my field.

Jeep aka Off Road: You're not going fast, in fact you're usually going slow. The Jeep is in no way balanced, it's too high, tires too big and too heavy. In this case you need a brake system that can hold those tires and gearing. Something with pressure and grip that will stop the transmission from pushing right through the brake system. It's actually more important stopping this vehicle when the brakes are cold, when you're on the rocks, mud whatever driving along for 30 minutes get that "oh shit" moment and slam on your brakes. That was one of the problems we had on the Hawks, they didn't like being cold. Jeeps need a beefy, high clamping good in cold and hot situations.

Track: Think of a spinning disc always going 125mph and your constantly trying to slow it down, always keeping extreme heat in the system. Your main goal is not to melt shit. You need something that can handle that heat. Track is saying slow me, cool me, slow me, cool me.

Jeep: Same spinning disc but it's going slow with 10 time the force. You need something like a vise to keep it from moving. Heat is not something that really occurs, just the force of the rotors saying I will not stop I have too much gearing, too much weight, too top heavy, you must make me stop.

Put either brake system on the other and bad things will happen.

Well put. Thanks for dumbing it down. I can relate to both. In addition to my 1998 XJ with the WJ conversion, I also have a 400HP+ LT4 equipped 1995 Z28. I upgraded brakes twice before being satisfied with C5 brakes.

Back