• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wanted: Used/Free/Low Cost Tires (helping a family out)

notamos

NAXJA Forum User
Ok. If this is against the rules, I'm sorry and delete it...

I need a set of tires (currently has 265/70r16) for use on an older 4runner...

Here's the brief details. Last Dec 22, one of my son's friends lost his father. His father was only 36 and died in his sleep while my son's friend (and his mother/sister) was visiting family for Christmas. You can imagine what they came home to. He had no life insurance and was 80% of the income... Anyway, my wife and I have taken this family in and have tried to help in anyway we can. Last week I was putting brakes on her 2000 4runner and noticed how bald/dry-rotted the tires are. Thus, this request.

If you guys have any tires laying around, let me know. Having a vehicle to get her to work and the kids to school is pretty important.

If you want more details, ask.

I can't help with actual tires.

But I'd be happy to paypal $100 to help out.

Lemme know.

I can come up with a few bucks.

I am trying to get the work done on the Dakota to support new tires (mild lift), though I am not particularly confident I'm going to have it done this month... if I do, I'll have a set of GY Wrangler SR-A in your 265/70/16 flavor that I would gladly donate -- less than 10k on them, great condition. I'll watch this thread and let you know if I can move that work up the list...

I am trying to get the work done on the Dakota to support new tires (mild lift), though I am not particularly confident I'm going to have it done this month... if I do, I'll have a set of GY Wrangler SR-A in your 265/70/16 flavor that I would gladly donate -- less than 10k on them, great condition. I'll watch this thread and let you know if I can move that work up the list...
What do you need for the lift?

That is one heck of an offer/possibility. Let us know what you need for your Dak. I was planning to spend $ anyway on this so I'd gladly help out w/ some of your needs.

A bit more about the 4runner... ;-)

I went over it really well a couple weeks back and created my list of have-to-fix items.

1) The front brakes were completely shot. No brake pad left and the backing plates had eaten 1/8" (!) into the rotor. She told me they were "growling" - yeah, I guess so! I ended up putting new pads/rotors on the front.

2) Rear brakes - they're shot & next on my list. Shoes, drums and hardware kits. Unbelievable this thing even stopped IMO.

3) O2 sensors. Upstream is bad, other is questionable. She's getting ~10mpg w/ this thing!

4) She was having trouble getting it started in the morning. Turns out, the starter contacts were worn out and it only took $25 for me to install new contacts in it w/ oem parts. BUT, working on that was a real PITA - had to leave the starter in the vehicle and work through a gap under the fender/above the frame.

5) The oil pressure sensor is cracked in half and is leaking oil.

6) It needs a battery. Its about 6 years old and the testing @ autozone said it has ~210A less available than it was rated for new.

7) The radiator overflow tube/nipple was BROKEN off the top of the radiator. Some JB plastiweld & it is still holding/working 3 weeks later. The overflow tube was just dangling from the overflow bottle...

Pretty amazing how vehicles deteriorate if nobody is taking care of them. She puts gas in it & drives. ;-)

Her husband was a non-union welder (in the oil fields) and took care of everything at the home. When he died, they had 2 vehicles. The 4runner (which was in ok shape but has 220k miles) and a Chrysler Pacifica (which was in great shape and had low mileage). Well, two days after Christmas, she woke up & the Pacifica was gone. HIS PARENTS, who had co-signed the loan, drove up from Texas and took it. Their reasoning - they didn't think she could afford the payments any longer. They sold it and kept the proceeds! :puke: Her kids (9 and 11) haven't seen (or even heard from) that set of grandparents since. Luckily their dad's other family members are not morons...

Anyway, thought I'd throw this out since you guys offered the help.

That is one heck of an offer/possibility. Let us know what you need for your Dak. I was planning to spend $ anyway on this so I'd gladly help out w/ some of your needs.

It sounds like there are plenty of other things for you to spend funds on... money isn't my problem on the Dak, time is. I would sure like to make a holiday effort here, though, and will push this otherwise non-vital work up the priority list.

What do you need for the lift?

I needed an add-a-leaf, ordered today. If I can find the time before turkey day, I'll free up some rubber for this project... Working on it!

Guys, really can't thank you enough for the great response to this. She's going to be blown away. I coach my son's baseball team & the entire team is taking care of Christmas for her and the kids.

Anyway, in regards to PayPal. My account is paypal -----at----- rcmonline -----dot----- net.

Since XJ-GRIN has so graciously offered the tires off his Dak, all $ will go toward her other repairs & mounting the tires up. I'll provide a complete accounting/updates via this thread!

My guess is that I won't be able to come through on the tires until the 1st part of December... is that cool? Time and holiday plans are currently my nemesis.

Yeah, no problem at all. Believe me, she's been driving around on these tires for a while - a few more weeks/month are fine. I've given her stern instructions that this vehicle will NOT be taken out on 25 (or above 45mph for that matter!). Its strictly a to-from work/school thing at the moment. We're helping her out w/ anything that would take her out of Fort Collins.

I just appreciate the awesome group of folks (both here @ NAXJA) and here in FTC that have come together to really help their family out. Day-to-day life is a struggle still, but at least we're keeping her afloat.

Personally -- my pleasure. I'm a strong believer in karma, and the good stuff only comes from helping those who really need it. I can easily picture my family in a similar boat (thought I work to plan to avoid it), and would only hope similar generosity would be shown to them in my absence.

My leaf's are scheduled to get delivered on Monday, so if i can find the time to get them in before next weekend, I can get the tires on and we'll be ready to roll... not sure I can stick to that goal, but I'll give it a run -- I'll be out of town the entire week of thanksgiving, thus the hurry.

Back