• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wanted: solid tie rod adjuster sleeve

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I would like to encourage development of a solid tie rod adjuster sleeve as an HD replacement for the stamped ES2079S adjuster sleeve that is used with the stock XJ/ZJ drag link and tie rod. The stock sleeve is pretty stout, but its just stamped metal. A solid sleeve would be stronger, and should also keep mud and water out of the threads. The ES2079S is definitely the weak link in my XJ drag link and ZJ tie rod, and I would really like something better.

Note that the ES2079S is also used in F-150 steering, so this is not a small little Jeep niche thing

Thank you

I'll bet ironman andy could do something like that. He makes his links out of solid that are drilled and tapped.

I think a decent thickness DOM tube, tapped for the threads and maybe wrench flats machined in would work just fine. It would be less complex than a SOLID piece, especially since they are not that long. Then use jam nuts on the ends.

The first link is (probably) correct but is out-of-stock. The second link is similar but I have no idea if its the same thing. I have seen several makes of these things for hot-rod applications, just none for Jeep/F150.

Well I got curious and chased that first link back a bit and found that Raybestos has a bunch of solid adjuster sleeves, but not for this application. They do have 425-1017B but its not a solid sleeve, and instead is rolled/stamped and is marked as "service grade"

4251017B-TOP-P01.jpg

Meanwhile 425-1017 (no "B") is a stamped piece that looks just like ES2079S and is marked as the "professional grade" option

Very close but not quite

Provide thread size/TPI and overall length and one could easily be fabbed out of DOM using tapered inserts, which is likely more cost effective than the labor to machine the flat and tap each end for L and R threads.
M22 thread is the problem

Last edited:
Back