• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Want to make a faster 4.0 HO XJ

castleman123

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 4.0 HO XJ, with a 3 inch lift. But I have put it threw hell, and it shoes it. It was the first car I ever bought, and so its pretty trashed. What a shame, I wish I had taken better care of it. I just bought a 94 ford probe for cheap, and its clean and nice. Now what I wanna do, is to make an XJ, mostly just to keep on the streets. But I would like to have a fast one to race all the people who think that they are cool just cause they have a 4x4, and wanna race people in it. I have been thinkin about gettin just a 2wd XJ, but that seems like a waste to do so much work on. Cause I still plan to lift it. So I think a 4WD will be the best option. So what I wanna know is some good names and stuff I can do to make my XJ run faster, and accelerate quicker, and yes I know a 2WD would be better for that, but I live in Oklahoma, and eventually I will be out of college, and I will have money to buy a good car, and to use this new XJ for offroadin, but for now I would like to keep it clean, and in good condition. I got the car for that, but I missin my XJ. And plus girls, don't like dirty vehicles. lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cause Im just learnin about these kind of things.

lol. sorry. i just wanted to make clear what i wanted. I just wasnt wanting a bunch of crazy off the wall replies.

Just want to know some stuff to do to make a faster 4.0 HO XJ.

Cheap ??? Good ??? Money an Object ???

We can take you FATHER than your wallet can possibly go...so lets start with that.

How much you willing to cough up ?

Chicks that don't GET DIRTY...aren't as much fun. Trust me. ;)

well, i gotta buy another xj, so i figure around 3500 for that, and a 3/3.5 inch lift, and then I already got 31in BFG AT/TA KO's. I think I would like to get some good shocks to make the ride not so rough. Shock ideas would be good. And Then for how much to spend, right now, about $1000 to make it faster.

Also, I dont want cheap junk, as that would seem a waste to me. But it doesnt have to be top of the line you know, just quality. I can always buy a few good parts now, and save money and buy a few better ones later. But I odnt even know where to begin, I dont even know what basics to buy.

If you want cheap speed then here you go...all the mods are hardly visible by just looking at the jeep...so it makes a great sleeper
http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=182C70A1-C2FC-4DB4-A003-EE15F1EFCB8D

the car with the mods listed in the beggining plus a couple other small things, ran 13.8xx @ 103.xx on slightly grippy street tires at gainsville
as for the cars in the second half of the vid

the Rsx has I/H/E along with AEM fuel rail and a ZEX 40 shot
the Ranger(not sure what was in it)but it was tuned by reighnhart performance and runs pretty consistant 14.8's-15.0's
The white mustang has full exhaust and wheel well intake setup

for more info on the other mods and prices just pm me

castleman123 said:
I have a 94 4.0 HO XJ, with a 3 inch lift. But I have put it threw hell, and it shoes it. It was the first car I ever bought, and so its pretty trashed. What a shame, I wish I had taken better care of it. I just bought a 94 ford probe for cheap, and its clean and nice. Now what I wanna do, is to make an XJ, mostly just to keep on the streets. But I would like to have a fast one to race all the people who think that they are cool just cause they have a 4x4, and wanna race people in it. I have been thinkin about gettin just a 2wd XJ, but that seems like a waste to do so much work on. Cause I still plan to lift it. So I think a 4WD will be the best option. So what I wanna know is some good names and stuff I can do to make my XJ run faster, and accelerate quicker, and yes I know a 2WD would be better for that, but I live in Oklahoma, and eventually I will be out of college, and I will have money to buy a good car, and to use this new XJ for offroadin, but for now I would like to keep it clean, and in good condition. I got the car for that, but I missin my XJ. And plus girls, don't like dirty vehicles. lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cause Im just learnin about these kind of things.

Is this one fast enough for ya?

http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com

I started out by modifying my old 4.0 and removing weight but after all that, I still craved for more power so I built a 4.6 stroker last year. Now my craving is satisfied (for the time being anyway).

castleman123 said:
if you wish, i can help you put together a 4" lift/ suspension that will handle better than a stock xj on the street. for accelleration, in addition to the basic power mods, just try to keep your bumpers, etc. as light as possible. and seperate your spares/tools into 2 groups- what you absolutely need for the street, and all the stuff you take offroading. a ford 8.8 rear axle swap is great and easy. for a good running motor, a wet 50 shot of n2o can be made to work safely. and that's just a start!

tools...well, i can get access to all kinds of tools, welders, air compressors and air tools, lots of different kinds of tools. I just don't know what parts to buy and where to begin on that aspect of what to put on my jeep. I wont be doing very much offroading, just a little muddin every once in awhile. But I just sold my car, and Im planin to keep the xj I have now for parts. I do wanna lift the new one that I buy, and 4 inches of lift would be good. Cause really on this one I just want the look, cause I cant afford to mess this one up offroadin all the time, at least until I get out off college and can afford to have two vehicles. So as far as offroadin accessories goes, I want a lift, and I would like to put a pre runner bumper, and some hella lights on that, and I eventually wanna but a rollcage in. But other than that I dont need so much stuff to offroad. Just want it to be fast on the street, and not be so bouncy, and rough ridin as the one that i have now is.

for the xj you buy, 91-95 is the simplest (electrical) 2wd is 600lbs lighter than 4wd, at under 3000lbs. a 2 door would be easier to accept a light/strong cage. you could build a 8.8 rear end with gears, selectable locker for straightline traction, better brakes for under 1 grand. i highly recommend it if it has a dana 35 rear. look at Dr. Dino's mod website. with a little money and work, you can get your 6 cyl. to sound and run like a mild smallblock v8. it's like a v8 conversion w/o the hassle/$. as far as rough(but not bouncy) ride, there is no way you will have it ride very smooth and handle better around corners. it's either grip and feel the road, OR comfort, OR a compromise between the two. ya gotta pick one or the other.... :)

xuv-this said:
for the xj you buy, 91-95 is the simplest (electrical) 2wd is 600lbs lighter than 4wd, at under 3000lbs. a 2 door would be easier to accept a light/strong cage. you could build a 8.8 rear end with gears, selectable locker for straightline traction, better brakes for under 1 grand. i highly recommend it if it has a dana 35 rear. :)

2WD is olny 2-300lbs lighter than a 4WD. I wish that were true! Also, look for a ChryCo 8.25 rear over the D35, it's consider much stronger and more reliable.

i've heard a lot of the jeepspeed guys say that. at one time, i was going to build mine for sportsman. i'm pretty sure they know what they're talking about...so i'm wondering, where did you get your info from?

xuv-this said:
i've heard a lot of the jeepspeed guys say that. at one time, i was going to build mine for sportsman. i'm pretty sure they know what they're talking about...so i'm wondering, where did you get your info from?

Oh, I may be wrong too, but I run a RWD, so I hope I'm right, or I've BSed alot of people. Think about it, how much can a x-case, front shaft, and front axle weigh over a front beam? I don't think 600lbs, but I don't know from experience.

Oh yeah, my source.

www.autotrader.com

1994 4 door XJ Country RWD:
Curb Weight: 2928lbs (That's me!)

1994 4 door XJ Country 4WD:
Curb Weight: 3090lbs
(That's actually less difference than I thought...)

Comes to.....162lbs.

Start with cutting the cat, put on a straight pipe into a flowmaster 40 series (universal muffler $69 at summit) do the work & hardware urself. Rustys air tube $30 and the bigger K&N filter $69 at rustys.com. Blaster 2 coil pack $30, MSD performance wires $75 also at rustys.com. Ngk plugs, $2 bucks a pop. Accel cap & rotor total $15 at pep boys. Banks header or a gibson,(banks in my pick), $350, order online. 62mm bored throttle body, $300-$350 62mm throttle body spacer $75-100, pick a brand
Theres ur grand.
U want more, go for a noz kit, supercharger or a stroker engine which will set u back quite a few thousand.

P.S.= If you do any of this i highly reccomend upgrading your cooling system FIRST with a hesco hi flow water pump and a 3 row CSF radiator to keep that puppy running cool!!

Start with cutting the cat, put on a straight pipe into a flowmaster 40 series (universal muffler $69 at summit) do the work & hardware urself. Rustys air tube $30 and the bigger K&N filter $69 at rustys.com. Blaster 2 coil pack $30, MSD performance wires $75 also at rustys.com. Ngk plugs, $2 bucks a pop. Accel cap & rotor total $15 at pep boys. Banks header or a gibson,(banks in my pick), $350, order online. 62mm bored throttle body, $300-$350 62mm throttle body spacer $75-100, pick a brand
Theres ur grand.
U want more, go for a noz kit, supercharger or a stroker engine which will set u back quite a few thousand.

P.S.= If you do any of this i highly reccomend upgrading your cooling system FIRST with a hesco hi flow water pump, a bored out t-housing, hi flow thermostat and a 3 row CSF radiator to keep that puppy running cool!!

JeepSpeed said:
1994 4 door XJ Country 4WD:
Curb Weight: 3090lbs
(That's actually less difference than I thought...)
Comes to.....162lbs.
but that has to be without a/c and with the 4 banger. the same specs listed in your owners manual as per above.
i'm sure that 2 more cylinders and a/c don't weigh 600 lbs. from 3000-3600. i have an old weigh station slip for mine (stock) somewhere... i'll try to find it.

Back