• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

VSS woes continue

Wayne Sihler said:
From the latest edition of the Haynes Manual.And from my friend the owner of a NAPA and ASE certified garage.
Wayne

So how does a non ABS jeep sense then?

mark

Wayne Sihler said:
From the latest edition of the Haynes Manual.And from my friend the owner of a NAPA and ASE certified garage.
what are the specific codes ?Not light flashes but a P1 or P0 code from a scan tool.
Also disconecting the battery is not advisable,as it can set more codes.Clear the codes with the scan tool.
Wayne

Haynes. Not the most reliable, try an FSM. ASE... all you have to do is pass a written test, not too difficult.

Lets wait to hear from gator grabber ,the problem may fix it,self or be something else.
Mark,non ABS does sense from the VSS in most models.The ODB systems have changed greatly over the span of the XJ,s and even between OBD I and OBD II,It,s not a simple gas and spark =run world anymore.
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
It,s not a simple gas and spark =run world anymore.
Wayne

Well no duh, really? thanks for letting me know that. I keep adjusting the points but can't make it run any better. ??????

I really doubt DC has such a radical change in NON ABS and ABS systems.

mark

its not related to the abs at all. if it was the abs light would come on and a wheel speed sensor code would be stored. did you replace the sensor in the transfer case . im not sure but there may be an output speed sensor in the trans. i know the zj has it, but being a different trans i dont know. it is easier to diagnose with the vehicle on hand though.

Sorry for the delay, I've been working in the hurricane strike zone (Port Charlotte) for the last few days. What a mess... Here's the scoop on the VSS: I disconnected the battery again and let it sit for a while, reconnected it and took off down the road. I got an immediate "check engine light", so it hasn't fixed itself yet. It still seems to run fine, but I do seem to feel the slightest difference in the tranny shifting timing. Is there a code reader on the market that I can just go out and buy that's worth a flip? Perhaps I was given the wrong code at the parts store.

gator_grabber said:
Is there a code reader on the market that I can just go out and buy that's worth a flip? Perhaps I was given the wrong code at the parts store.

I bought a $100 from kragen and it works fine for me.

gator_grabber said:
I'm not familiar with 'kragen', is that a brand name or a store?
It's part of CSK Auto, you probably have one of their stores down your way. Checker, Kragen, Schuck's...all the same parent company.

gator_grabber said:
Sorry for the delay, I've been working in the hurricane strike zone (Port Charlotte) for the last few days. What a mess... Here's the scoop on the VSS: I disconnected the battery again and let it sit for a while, reconnected it and took off down the road. I got an immediate "check engine light", so it hasn't fixed itself yet. It still seems to run fine, but I do seem to feel the slightest difference in the tranny shifting timing. Is there a code reader on the market that I can just go out and buy that's worth a flip? Perhaps I was given the wrong code at the parts store.
my mom lives in port charlotte. i hear it looks like a war zone, but their electricity should be on now. get a code reading and see if it changed.

I replaced the sensor in the tailshaft cone, but not the TC sensor probe. I'm going to pick up a code reader tomorrow and see if I'm getting a different reading.

On another note: If any of you folks live in Florida, the damage in the Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte area is far worse than what's being reported on TV. You should do everything in your power to find a way to spend a day down there helping those who really need assistance badly. I can't tell you just how sad it is to see someone's grandparents sitting in the remains of a destroyed home, waiting for help from the outside world. Yes, food and water are available now; what's needed are strong backs to help with the cleanup. There are plenty of reasons for not helping, but most are just lame excuses. I saw a 6 month pregnant woman, who drove down from Tampa, helping an elderly man clean up his yard in 95 degree heat. If she can do it, so can you... It will change you forever.

Last edited:
the sensor at the back that runs off of the drive gear is called the distance sensor. there is an output speed sensor in the transmission also.

my mom is caring for y 97 year old grandfather in port charlotte. if my wife didnt have medical problems now, i would hav been in florida a long time ago. i cant get her to come up here either.

well, yeah. you can unplug that and see if the same code comes up or a new one appears. i would check the one on the trans itself. the output speed sensor. follow the wiring for the trans and you should see it towards the rear of the trans about halfway up

Ok I hate it when you guys make me read my FSM.

FYI, and mine own info (Some new to me),

There is a lot to do with the VSS than just that tailhousing sensor. Yes the VSS is in the tailhousing of the tcase.

There is a DTC manual just for diagnostic test for this VSS stuff. I don't have it.

Things such as the following list can affect the VSS according to the FSM:

Misadjusted brake (stop) switch
Loose, corroded electrical connections on the servo. (The servo is the cruise control thing)
Leaking vacuum reservoir
Leaking vacuum hose
Defective one-way vacuum check valve
Secure attachment of speed control servo cable
Failed speed control servo.

So it sounds like if you have cruise control it is all related to the VSS system. From looking thru the section it has to do with the air bag system also. Might be time to take it to the dealer and see if they can scan it better.

This info is from the DC 1998 XJ Factory Service manual.

mark

Back