• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vital skids plates for a Cherokee...

EvanH

NAXJA Forum User
I have finally got some money that I am able to play around with and I was looking to buy some things for my Cherokee.

What areas underneath the Cherokee are proned to getting damage from rocks and such? I was thinking maybe a t-case and gas tank skid to start off with, then maybe some others later on down the road.

Also, I am in need of recovery points on my XJ. I was looking on JeepinOutfitters.com and I saw some things that might be of interest to me. I was thinking the c4x4 tow hooks for the front and a reciever shackle for the back?

Anyone have any experience with c4x4 tow hooks? Where can I get a reliable reciever shackle for the rear?

Thanks for and input! :)

the front one is another semi important...until you get a lift its a good idea, also a tranny/oil pan skid

red_01_xj said:
the front one is another semi important...until you get a lift its a good idea, also a tranny/oil pan skid

I actually just installed the RE 3.5" SF w/ 31" Kumho MTs (very satisfied with both)

thanks !

the first skid plates/protection for my xj i got was rock sliders. they are great for piviting around rocks or trees or whatever without pinning your doors shut. id say get those first. aj'soffroadarmor makes some really solid sliders/rock rails.

Evan,

TRANSFER CASE !!!!! (if you plan to wheel rocks)

Rock sliders also... I have yet to hit my gas tank (knock on wood) b/c i have a factory hitch back there and a receiver shackle.. But when my rigid co bumper gets here i'll get a tank skid.

The c4x4 tow hooks will be fine.......

You have the right idea with the transfer case & gas tank skids but as the others have said..... get some rock rails also otherwise your doors may not function as the should!
Also a front diff guard at minimum is very important if you wheel in rocks!

Thanks for the input

I don't wheel that much on rocks as of now... but it is definitley in my future.

I think I am gonna go with the t-case skid and recovery points for now and save up til I can afford some rock rails.

On a side note: (so I don't have to start a whole new thread) A 1" t-case drop = 1" less clearance? I'm not that worried about it, just for piece of mind I guess.
I get vibes now that I installed my lift and I don't want to damage the u joints. If I let the vibes go, will the u joints get damaged?

Sorry about the multiple questions, I searched for the tcase stuff and couldn't really find anything.

Thanks again :D

You are dead on with the tow points being first and transfer case skid being first in line with the rocks rails comming next.

If you can find an XJ with stock skids and pull them you will get a pretty good package for anywhere from $30 to $200 depending on the local salvage yard prices. Pick up a spare tie rod while you are at the salvage yards. Stumps (especially those under the mud) are heck on tie rods as I am finding out now that I am on the east coast (I use an alumi-flex tie rod so it doesnt much matter for me).

If you move on to rocks the diff armor (front and rear) along with an engine/trans skid (mostly for the trans) is real valuable. I have a Rusty's eng-trans skid (I think I am Rusty's only happy customer) and it has saved my bacon numerous times.

The vibes will trash you transfer case eventually. Make some drop brackets for the transfer case out of aluminum flat stock and stack them up until the shaft aligns properly and the vibes stop. You will lose an inch or so under the tansfer case and have to shim the transfer case skid a little (stock) but its a real small price to pay. I watched a newbie punch a hole in his transfer case on a water crossing (6" lift & 33's) because he didnt have any armor. Get rid of the vibes and install a transfer case skid. Move up to an SYE (and front shaft IMHO) when you can afford it and get back the inch or so you lost with the drop.

I am a big fan of low CG and lots of armor, stock or otherwise.

John

i would make rock rails number one with gas tank skid. Check out JCR or AJ armor rock rails cant beat the value with those guys. You great it warranties, cant speak highly enough of either outfit. See if you can get a stock gas tank skid cheap if money is tight. I got mine and a front steering skid for $50 for the both of them total. and the transfer case skid third if your not on the rocks. Its pretty easy to smoosh in your gas tank and bottom out compared to crushing your transfer case if your not on the rocks.

Rock rails pay for them selfs. No one wants your xj after you smash the door in (well no one will pay you decent ill take it off your hands for thousands less than street value) you can get rock rails from jcr for 180-225. Thats a no brainer and absolute must if you care about your XJ.

http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=XJS

ajs $155 - $235

http://www.ajsoffroadarmor.com/Rockrails/rockrails.html

you cant have to many skids in my mind. Cheap insurance, every single one is easier to put on and cheaper than fixing what it protects, and wont waste a weekend by leaving you stranded.

Check out DPG and skid row. DPG (dirk) is another guy everyone loves. wont do you wrong. he has some nice skids.
http://www.dpgoffroad.com/ (belly skid and gas tank)

I personally am way more in favor of skid plated on everything before hurrying into lifting it. Then again i am also into having a winch not having 9 " of lift and 37's and having other folks winch me out.

Last edited:
I speak from no experience, but check out the warn skid over the skid row. It seems cheaper and probably does an equal job protecting.

I've looked over a bunch of options and will get that one.

I also contenplated what to do about front tow points about a year ago. Ended up buying the custom4x4 front bumber with the receiver and shackle mounts. With the bumper you stiffen the front end, gain tow points, and have solid protection for the front end including the grill if you get the bar. Pricier than just tow hooks, but worh it.

I will eventually get front and rear bumpers and skid the hell out of it... I am not made of money though :bawl:

Baby steps ;)

nosigma said:
I am a big fan of low CG and lots of armor, stock or otherwise.

John

You know, the more studying I do the more I am coming to the same conclusion. Been considering a lift but messing with the engineered drive train angles kinda spooks me. A supplier I recently talked to doesn't do SYE because of past problems with leakage. Tcase drops just seems Rub Goldberg to me. I'm leaning toward just a two inch lift. If I get vibes I shim and do tcase drop and call it good. If I get no vibes then maybe I add an inch or so later with extended shackles and coil spacers. I kinda wonder if, after adding armor all around, I would lose some lift and maybe some vibes as well.

But you know, if I just stick to stock height/235's then I never have to regear either. With ARB's and armor all around it would still be a great rig.

If you want to save some money on receiver shackle look here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=110056626547.
Its where I got mine and have no complaints. It works well.

Look at the warn t-case skid as well. You can save money here too http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...Sell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

The tow hooks you selected are great. I have them with no complaints at all and in my opinion the best tow hook kit out there. I also bought them from jeepinoutfitters.

I have researched this and looked all over the internet for the best prices and these are the best I can find.

Last edited:
Back