• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

violent shaking what gives?

middleurb

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guy I need help!! I have 91 5speed with about 7in and 35"s and lately when I take off slowly in first the front end shakes like crazy. It will also do it if im rolling and accelerate in 2nd. Its starting to get worst and its driving me crazy. Also if Im rolling and down shift into 2nd it will shake the jeep like its almost hoping in the front. Any ideas how I can trouble shoot this?

if you have had the lift for a while, and the wobbles just now started, then i would say the first culprit is the tires. its usually refered to as "death wobble". many people say tires cant cause it, but they can when they are super worn...

-Tim

almost new tires. and isnt DW a east and west shake? This shake is north and south and its more of my front end hoping.

or check your u-joints. I've seen it where at low speeds with enough slop they'll let the driveshaft fall to one side and cause harsh vibrations but at higher speeds they almost center themselves. I know it doesn't make sense, but that's the same problem my buddies YJ was having and u-joints were where his troubles stemmed from.

middleurb said:
almost new tires. and isnt DW a east and west shake? This shake is north and south and its more of my front end hoping.

hey sorry. i assumed it was death wobble since you refered to it as violent shaking.

my friend and i both got DW from badly cupped tires. mine were bias ply swampers and his were old bald MTRs. couldnt drive over 45 in either rig.

-Tim

Might sound silly but the first thing I would check is the engine mounts if they are the stock ones they have a tendency to go out. Hope that Helps.

I'd vote motor and transmission mounts too, actually. Also pull your front driveshaft off and see what happens.

Back