• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vids, Photos, Time: My Motorcycle @ the Drag Strip in MD

GhostDakota

NAXJA Forum User
My buddy and I took our bikes down to Cecil on a gorgeous 80* Friday night. He brought his Ducati 748 w/ a big bore kit, and I had my Interceptor. He didn't race, just took photos (clutch is slipping bad). This was my first time 1/4 mile dragging a motorcycle. I've been to the 1/4 mile before in my former Camaro Z28, Dodge Dakota 360, etc, and been to road courses (NJMP) on my Hawk GT prior. So I figured why not try it. Some photos:

906916086_qmvDw-XL.jpg

906918265_RuxT5-XL.jpg

906913916_j7Lqv-XL.jpg

906917435_cVp3E-XL.jpg

906914856_rJLPk-XL.jpg

906915272_D5XDq-XL.jpg

My first launch was an epic failure. I was by myself on this "race" as well, so everyone saw it. I stalled. Awesomely. Restarted, then took down the track for a lovely 14.87 @ 116 (eww). Here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2jGQl8NS68

The rest of my runs that night were pretty good. I was working mainly on my launching. At one point, I got quite a bit too comfortable, and that almost ended up costing me BIG time. I nearly flipped back and off the bike. The left lane was better traction all night, so I had to adjust my launches accordingly. I forgot... and the end result was this wheelie & 13.3 @ 116:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DShRoMvbtFc

My two best runs of the night were both 11.6's @ 118 and 119 MPH.

Here's the slightly slower one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zccp74WRrsk

And the slightly faster one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvE9kbrW92I

And same one as above, only on-board:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tgk-wkFaTQ

All in all it was a great night filled with lots of fun. I was figuring the VFR would be running low 12's all night, but I was rather happy with what it ran. I just have to work on my launching skills and maybe I'll be able to pull some low 11 second runs!

Wow I expected the VFR to run mid 12's there. That's pretty good times.

What rpm are you leaving the line at? Completely different bike but I would take my 04cbr1kRR to about 6500 and immediately after slippin the clutch ( didn't just dump cluth and didn't ride it out. Released a lot the same way you would clutch a wheelie up) I would open it WOT.
Are you clutchin your shifts or just preloading?

Wow I expected the VFR to run mid 12's there. That's pretty good times.

What rpm are you leaving the line at? Completely different bike but I would take my 04cbr1kRR to about 6500 and immediately after slippin the clutch ( didn't just dump cluth and didn't ride it out. Released a lot the same way you would clutch a wheelie up) I would open it WOT.
Are you clutchin your shifts or just preloading?

The wheelie I did was at 4k and quick release. The other launches were 2-4k and a slow release 'til I was underway, then clutch all the way out. I still came off the ground as I got on it during each gear. It was definitely a new experience, and nothing like launching a car or truck at the track. I talked to a friend who spoke with a pro motorcycle drag racer, who gave him some pointers for me. I will try them next time I go. I did have a ton fun!

Ya that vfr has a good bit of torque. Cool stuff man :thumbup:

wish I still had my Honda scoot

Ya that vfr has a good bit of torque. Cool stuff man :thumbup:

wish I still had my Honda scoot

Yah, I wasn't expecting to run what I did - but talking to guys on the forums, if you get a good launch, you can do 11.2's. Something to work on!

I love Honda bikes. All 4 bikes I've had have been Honda:

1982 Honda CB750SC Nighthawk
1982 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk
1990 Honda NT650 Hawk GT
1998 Honda VFR800 Interceptor

Love me some Honda Powersports.. hate the cars lol.

Ya I'm with ya. Had 3 f4i's, 600RR, 954RR, 1kRR. Just can't vet enough of em. 600RR still my fav one tho. Just a nasty bike

I almost bought an '02 600RR from my boss (He got an '11 - and has Ducati's, KTM's, etc.). Thing is, I wanted something comfy for me on my long hauls (I do 250 miles a day some weekends in summer), as well as comfy 1 up since my g/f loves to cruise as well. I still wanted power, I still wanted decent looks, and I didn't want to worry about a ton of maintenance. I narrowed my choices down to a Ducati ST4 (Sport Touring) and my Interceptor (Also technically a Sport Touring). Those I spoke to had dealings with the Duc's said it's 6k mile valve adjustments/service ($400-$1000 each time), etc. Those who worked for Honda dealerships told me they've had Interceptors comes in (my gen) with 100,000 miles without having 1 valve adjustment. I put from 7000-12000 miles on my bike in a year - so I guess you can see why I chose what I did. I am quite happy. Now I just need a Ducati for some non-daily riding and I'll be happier!

Ya my dumb ass put a ton of (sometimes painful) miles on my RR's. My 600 was brand new and had 28k after 6months lol. Rode it from Vegas to CO a few times. That's a rough ride on a RR. I think I put about 40k on my 954 before losing a cylinder. And the 1kRR got almost 55k miles in a little under a year. Needless to say my body took a beating from the ride. But I'd do it all over again, but maybe get a vtx for daily riding lol

Ya my dumb ass put a ton of (sometimes painful) miles on my RR's. My 600 was brand new and had 28k after 6months lol. Rode it from Vegas to CO a few times. That's a rough ride on a RR. I think I put about 40k on my 954 before losing a cylinder. And the 1kRR got almost 55k miles in a little under a year. Needless to say my body took a beating from the ride. But I'd do it all over again, but maybe get a vtx for daily riding lol

holy crap thats alot of miles for 6months! ive had my R6 since 07 and only put 3k on it haha. but then again i got in alot of trouble on it and havent touched it since. track days were always fun though

Ya I know all about trouble. Been arrested a few times for antics on bikes. Hence the reason I don't have one any more. Can't ride one and not get in trouble.

Back