• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vibration - searched - didn't find much

Ecarlcl

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 XJ, 4.0, 5spd. Around 45-55 I have this vibration that feels like it's in the front end. Actually Id describe it as more of a wobble than a vibration. It's intermittent, and it seems to dissipate quickly. It's got 202,000 miles on it. Could this be a steering stablizer or even the steering knuckles? Any input would help

thanks,
ecarlcl

Sorry...It's stock height and all the tie rod ends and everything felt tight when I had it on a lift a few weeks back. It feels more violent than riding on the "side strips"

How are the tires? Make sure they are "egg free" and balanced. Do they have any funny wear to the tread pattern?

How about your front bearings...make sure they have no play. Jack up the front and grab the tire at the 12 and 6 positions and push with one hand at the 12 position, and pull with the other at the 6 position. Alternate the push and pull, back and forth and feel for rocking in the hub. If you can feel any movement, determine if the lug nuts are tight and if they are, then pull the tire and check the axle nut to make sure its tight. I just ran into this and it turned out the passenger hub was bad. I replaced it and the drivers side too.

Dave

i have the same problem with my 92 xj and 94 yj ur going about 60 and hit a little bump then it starts a death shake, then i slow down then its fine does anybody know what it is, my bearings are fine, the tie rods are fine the tires are basically new

I had a similar condition on my '00 Sport - vibration would come on around 50mph and go away around 60mph. Felt like a side-to-side shimmy.

I had new tires put on, front end alignment, checked and greased all the joints myself, and it still shook at the exact same speeds.

I finally installed a new steering damper and that seems to have done it. If I drive 55 on a very smooth road, I can detect a slight wiggle, but nothing like before.

Back