• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vibration at idle after some exhaust and engine mounts

It seems to be a combination of a dying a/c clutch and a rock hard harmonic dampener. I'm pulling both off today and we will see how it goes.

The a/c clutch engages in the 2000 whenever any fan or heat/cold is engaged. There is a little vibration at idle with it off and the engine is cold, but nothing I wouldn't consider normal for new engine mounts.

I checked the new engine mounts and all seems well with them. They are torqued properly, and in the positions they should be. I'm sure they are a bit hard, being new. Probably magnifying the vibration a bit.

I'll give an update when I'm done swapping the pulley and a/c out today.

Exhaust rubbing on xmember

I just replaced the driver side motor mount with MORE motor mount and have done the tranny mount. I need to do the passenger mount (this week). I got a lil vibration too however I'm sure it's the new mounts along with new fuel injectors and the computer relearning the new injectors.

I'm thinking that once I get the passenger side mount in, I'll loosen the driver side and the tranny mounts and do that forward reverse technique to seat the engine. Then retighten everything.

New tranny mount and harmonic balancer in finally. My God that pulley retaining bolt was such an incredible bitch to get out. At one point I think I came up with all new curses for the English language.

New balancer really helped the vibration problem a lot. There is still some vibration at idle, especially when it's cold. But, As the engine warms and the mounts soften the vibration reduces quite a bit as well. I think these bomb proof mounts just transfer a lot of engine vib to the frame. Especially on the driver side. I'm going to try to isolate some of the annoying sound by better tying done the heat shield over the driver side mount.

So just FYI:

I tried loosening the header to downpipe bolts, because i noticed the downpipe being really really close to the oil pan and so it seemed likely that this might be the source of the vibes. Well...it wasn't. Other then snapping one of the bolts (of course) and finding a crack in my header, nothing changed. I'll keep on searching....

Finally solved my vibe issue. Simple as can be: I swapped the (actually good as new) tranny mount for another one from a different manufacturer. And see there: No more annoying vibes, when i put the Jeep in gear. So conclusions are: 1. Different brand's tranny mounts seem to have different mixtures of rubber...some stiffer and some softer. 2. It also seems to be important, that the quality and composition of engine mounts AND tranny mounts fit each other, because if they differ too much it will produce vibrations on one or the other end. So I would recommend to use OEM Mopar parts for both of them, if you have the possibility. Of course other things, like the harmonic balancer, pulleys, vibrating exhaust parts and other crap can increase the noticeable Vibration...no doubt about that.

Back