• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Very Very Torn on what lift to buy!

JohnXDoe

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I've got a 2000 RHD cherokee. We just picked it up from being shipped from Japan to Germany. Well we got it inspected over here and it needed tires and a couple other little things. So talking to the wife we decided to order tires that'll fit it when we lift it. Well I think I might have ordered a little to big to fit stock. We ordered 265/75R16 Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10's. So talking to the wife she said go ahead and order the lift.

So now I'm torn between the Rusty's 3" full rear leafs, the IRO 3" kit with full leafs, Rough Country 3" with full leafs and a Rubicon Express 3.5" lift with full leafs. The thing I'm torn on is how different these lifts are in price and whats included.
I know the Rubicon Express lift is probably alot better but it doesn't include shocks and is way more expensive.
I've heard alot of bad things about Rusty's but their also extremely cheaper.
Rough Country has very mixed reviews. Some people love them, some say their horrible. I like that they include lower control arms and no one else does. (Thinking this might be the way I'll go and maybe upgrade the shocks to something better.)
And the IRO kit, I've heard really good things about them. But i've also heard that their just rough country springs, so why spend the extra money?
Old man Emu is an option to but their usually really over priced for what you get I think

Now this will be the first jeep I've ever lifted. We've owned it for about 2 and a half years, the whole time in japan, so we never had a reason to lift it or anything. The only other vehicle I've ever lifted was an 85 full size blazer and I put a 6" super lift on it with 37s. No were trying to keep this as street friendly as possible while still gaining offroad advantages. We use it ALOT for camping and exploring, but it also gets driven to and from base from home almost every day. My wife is pregnant so it also needs to ride as comfortable as a lifted jeep will!

Now I've done an absolute TON of research on this and pretty much wanna blow my brain out from all the thinking about it. I'm hoping that I wont need to do an SYE yet and that's the reason I'm going with a 3" over a 4.5". Also due to the jeep being RHD it's hard to find Steering components for it. IRO sells a RHD track bar and Over the knuckle steering, but I dont' think I'll need that yet. There is a knock in the front end when turned to the right and going over a bump. But haven't even tried to diagnose that yet.

The plan is to order a lift, all new brakes (everything including master cylinder), and probably a new cooling system since it still has the original Radiator in it and it has a small wheep somewhere that keeps eluding me! And what ever front steering parts are starting to wear on it. The jeep only has 130000 Kilo's on it but is still pretty beat. My wife sunk it in a river in Japan shortly after we got it and it's never been the same since, But trying to get it back up to par!

Really just excited about being in Europe and wanna get this thing to where I can take it out and explore long distances with it comfortably!

Sorry for the long rant and thanks in advance for all the help! This web site kicks Ass! I've turned into such a Forum Junky!:skull1:

Not to bash any mfg, but have had Rusty's 3.5" sping pack on the rear for about 2.5 years. 5,000 total miles as the XJ sits all the time, except to wheel. The springs are sagging bad enough they must be replaced. Will not go back with them. Have th IRO LA kit, and it's great. They will be the 1st call when upgrading the rear springs.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I'm happy with my Rusty's 3" lift. I went with the kit with new rear leaves and the heavy duty front coils. The XJ had about 185k on it when I lifted it and I was pretty sure the stock leaves needed to be replaced. I went with the heavy duty coils because I had plans for a bumper and winch, but 've since changed my mind.
My XJ is a 2000 and it now has over 208k miles on it. I tend to carry too much stuff with me (gotta be prepared for the coming zombie apocalypse) and the rear springs did begin to sag enough to let the shackle end eyes contact the mount during medium-hard bumps. Since I was happy with the flex I went with Brian's shackle brackets (http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=956630)
and I can't praise them enough. They brough the rear up to just a hair above level and allow full travel of the shackles.
I have the same size tires as you bought on my rig, but I went with BFG Radial All-Terrains. I have the stock aluminum wheels and won't be changing them. Living in nothern Michigan I see lots of snow and ice and I've always been happy with these tires. This is my fourth set. There is a little rub during full turns sometimes and a set of tubular adjustable short arms and a new track bar are on the "soon" list of mods. Rusty's offers lower arms with a bend to help with the tire rub. I've already talked to them about making a set with adjustable ends and they said "sure, no problem, they'll ship the same week you order them".
I'm not a hardcore wheeler, but the Jeep does see a lot of very remote backwoods trails. The wife and I explore alone so I have to trust everything I add to my XJ. I stay out of the deep mud but MI backroads have a lot of loose sand and some pretty gnarly holes and ruts. I'm sure I'll take flak for defending Rusty's, but so be it. I'm happy with their products.

Not out on a limb. I have a 96 with a Rusty's 3" full spring kit, and it rides as nice as my 08 Silverado with only 32k on it, and has no sag....in fact, the rear still sits high.

The kit is pushing 6 yrs old.

When I got the 96, the plan was to lower it to stock, and put the lift on my 88, but it rides so nice, I decided not to mess with it and just get a lift for the 88.

MY only complaint, is the shocks are gone, but hey, after 5 yrs, what do you expect ??

Now, I do also have the rustys steering kit on my 88, and while it does work, and is better than stock, I have not really been impressed with it at all, and when I do lift the 88, it will get replaced.

Last edited:
I would never buy from rustys but that is just me, I have had great experiences with IRO however and would go with them all the way.

IRO took the first opportunity to deny my warranty and i wouldn't ever buy from them again. Besides, it's not like their kit is any better than the Rusty's stuff, and Rusty's is cheaper.

I would talk to Dirk from DPG about a Hybrid OME lift.

Don't lift it while wife is still prego.... We had a 96 Tacoma with 31s while my wife was prego... Not the funnest thing for someone who's sense of balance goes bad to try and get into. The stock Cherokee was near perfect for her to slide right in. not low like a sedan and not high where she needed to lift herself in. she's 5'6". Congrats btw... My baby girl is 6mo. How far along is your wife?

I have OME on my YJ worth every penny! If you've ever drove a YJ you would know they ride like crap. Now that I have the OME's it rides like a caddy flex's like mad and no saggy butt.

Dave

I doubt you will be happy with the: 265/75R16 Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10's as has been mentioned on this site before.., that they have very thin sidewalls, and get torn up fairly easily, i.e., ripped, punctures, etc. The Hankook won the 'mud tire shootout'-4 Wheel Mag., but with the Dynapro MT. I have personally looked at both tires, and can attest to the fact that the ATM has the looks, but not worth my dollars for it's extremely thin sidewalls. I would not want to be anywhere off-road with ATM's, (after reading the bummer reports I've read on this site), and end up with a couple of flats. See if you can change your order. Here is the alternative at the site you linked to: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...do?pc=11281&tmn=DynaPro+MT+RT03&typ=Truck/SUV Yeah sure, they are more expensive, but.., if you read: http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarti...out_first_place_hankook_dynapro_mt/index.html you will find that they were also rated as having good street manners. Other than those Hankooks, you might want to consider the Good Year Kevlars, or the BFG's. Mine will be the H.MT's if the economy allows it--as the future unfolds.

Old Man Emu components are basically to replace stock sizes, although it is often mentioned that your vehicle will gain upwards to 2". They offer different rides, from soft to hard. Do you really think the Aussie's would make crappy gear for their type of roads, i.e., miles, and miles of washboard travels.., I think not. Do you really think that American's would sell you gear that once you are out the door.., it's your problem!?! I think so.., except for those real Americans that stand not only behind their products, but use 'em as well. The recommendation to check out Dirk is sound advice. Or you can simply go the 2" method, and contact ARBUSA.com, talk to a techie, and go from there. I really like my OME springs, coils, shocks for a safe, solid, ride. However, I have nothing else to compare to, being new to XJ's.

HAPPY VETERAN'S DAY ALL!

couldn't be any happier with my o.m.e. /Jks hybrid 4"-4.5" (super ult.?) from DPG..

service was rediculously good and Dirk is very knowledgable and gladly willing to spend some time giving tech advice before during and after he was paid (in my experience) .

most sites would be more than happy to sell you parts that might not be best for what your trying to achieve (most won't ask your goal and intended type of use) or parts that wouldn't work well (or at all ) together.. Maybe you are knowledgable enough that these are non issues but I definitely appreciated it.. He changed my front spring when I told him about my winch/bumper that was going on (same time)

and I daily drive and have taken family trips (3 of us) and it rides nice . And I haven't been disappointed off road either.

it wasn't cheap but it did seem to deliver on what I feel is a great product

Last edited:
i'd money up and go OME. you cant buy a better all-around 3" kit. its the best riding, most durable kit, period. you don't need control arms at 3" lift unless you plan on doing more serious rock crawling, the only thing you'd want to look into upgrading (eventually) that doesnt come on the OME kit is an adjustable trackbar.

Also must agree on the DPG hybrid package. Installed the 3.5 system and the ride is better than stock, plenty of room for larger rubber, and tough stuff. If you go a differnt way do yourself a favor and at least get the JKS adjustable trackbar. It is included in the DPG kit.

As someone who has been mostly happy with the RE 4.5" lift product, I doubt I would ever buy RE again because of their poor customer service I had when I had some issues with my leaf springs.

That's was before they were bought though.. .so maybe that is better?

If I were to do it again, I would either piece together a lift from used parts found on this site (but that can take a while), or would call DPG based on all the great recommendations from NAXJA.

So I've emailed IRO and Rough Country to see if they can "tailor" a lift to my needs. Haven't heard back yet. I'm thinking of just going with a 4.5" kit with full leafs, adjustable track bar, and a SYE right off the bat. Both of their kits come with Lower Control arms and I'm thinking of upgrading the shocks to either Bilsteins or OME. We'll see what they say when I hear back from them. Also really been looking at the RE lifts but don't know the difference between their Super Flex and Super Ride? I'm still torn it'll probably end up being just whatever company can give me the best overall deal. If I order from IRO I can get everything from them: Lift, SYE, RHD track bar. Where as everyone else I'll probably still Buy the SYE and RHD track bar from IRO. Let me know what you guys think!

I bought the 3.5" OME Hybrid from DPG a few months ago, and it was the best decision I have made. The parts are top notch, and Dirk's customer service is unbeatable. He spent so much time talking to me on the phone answering any questions I had, and explaining why he chose the parts he did on his kit.

Call him now.

/thread

I contacted Dirk at DPG and they can't ship to my APO box unfortunatly. So now i'm just stuck between IRO, Rough country, and RE. Which ever one I do I'm gonna order some Bilsteins, a IRO RHD trackbar, and IRO hack and tap SYE. Any kit I'll get will have full rear leafs. I like that the Rough country kit has adjustable, rebuilable upper and lower control arms. And if I do the RC kit my wife said I can order Drop brackets and shackle relocation kit!

Back