• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vaporlock.....is it possibly the problem?

csr_011

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, 87 Cherokee, 4x4, auto, 260k, 4 door, 4.0.

The motor is an 89 4.0, rebuilt about 11k miles ago. Bored out .060, mostly high performance parts put in, good rebuild. Having fuel/air management issues. Runs great in the cold, have most problems in weather about 80 degrees or higher.

Spoke to a long time family friend this weekend, been a mechanic for over 35 years. He mentioned that there "could" be a possible vaporlock problem going on as the cyl walls are thinner and since the harder starting was after running and it sat for a bit, like when i went to the store. As it sits it heats up even more with no coolant/air flow. Could this cause a vaporlock and if so does that cause potential damage to the engine? Does that cover that is below the shroud to keep junk out of the alternator im assuming(removed as it was torn at the time of the rebuild) keep the motor cooler? If so that will go on also.

Another problem is grounds. i am going to redo a ground set up from the battery to the engine to the frame. That should get rid of possible other problems with resistance.

New gas tank and all the guts...soon as the checkbook will accomodate it...and new injectors, thinking about the 5.0 mustang injectors that i hear people talking about, any suggestions on those, pros and cons?

Also going to go with a throttle body spacer (new IAC and TPS already in, CPS is fine, tests good) and K&N filter with air tube. Maybe a bigger radiator also. Also thought that the EGR might need replacing, works, but do they get sluggish? There are already two fans, the motor doesnt seem to run hot at all, even in town with high heat. I only have an idiot gauge, going to put a temp gauge on also.

Thanks,

Cory

A sensor that sometimes causes issues that no body ever seems to think of is the air charge sensor. It can really muck with you mixture as temps change.

Back