• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

valve cover gasket cost?

kshbaja

NAXJA Forum User
ive been pricing out valve cover gaskets for my 2000 cherokee sport 4.0, and ive seen prices from $77 at my local parts store to $26 online. ive also seen the felpro rubber covered steel gasket for about $40 online. also if there are any tricks to this repair, they would be much appreciated. it looks straightforward. this is my first time for this job.

I just got one from NAPA a few weeks ago and it's the nice rubber covered one. IIRC it was somewhere in that 40 range.

I got an AutoZone (Fel-Pro) cork valvecover gasket, it was pretty cheap. I forget the price because I picked up a one-piece rubber oil pan gasket and rear main seal at the same time, but I don't think it was nearly $26.

You have to get the composite rubber-steel gasket if you have a 96 or newer model. The newer (stamped) valve cover doesn't have a nice flat surface for the flat cork to seat on and it squidges around, causing leaks. If your engine is older or you swap to an old (cast) valve cover use the cork one. At least the new style is reusable.

just picked up a new valve cover casket from napa for my 2000 4.0 as well. the swap was a bit of a pain as i didnt wanna remove all shit that flows back and forth over the motor but i got it to work..easy job done with patience in a hour or two..

oh yea it cost me 47 bucks new at napa for the rubber covered steel one..or whatever it is...

Grifter

New one for my 2000 XJ Sport was around $40, I think. Didn't realize until after I had all the parts assembled to start tearing the engine apart, but the FSM said the valve cover gasket was reusable. I was tearing engine down to the block and have always had to get all new gaskets before so I got another one this time too. Unless you're having leaks around there (or like me, you've already bought the thing and didn't know you could reuse the old one), I wouldn't get another.

Back