• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

used engines cheap w/free shipping

so let me get this straight .. you d rather get a jy engine then this one because why again?
oh.. you dont want the free shipping nor do you dont want a cerified engine? thats makes sense.. .. right..
So the JY isnt certified to even run and who knows what you re getting!

I ll see you on the side of the road with your pos jy engine as i drive by with my 130 k certified engine.

Sucker!
mark

I ll see you on the side of the road with your pos jy engine as i drive by with my 130 k certified engine.

OK, I'll play along.

Let's say your 130,000-mile certified engine takes a dump. That's OK! It has a warranty of some sort, right? Now, how are you going to return it to claim on that warranty? Ship it, I assume. You're in Tennessee; they're in New Jersey. How much will that cost?

The reality is that either one is a crapshoot, but if I'm taking my chances I'd rather take them with somewhere close to me - be it the junkyard or otherwise. I don't trust someone telling me that their used parts are 'certified' (whatever that means) just because they say they are.

WHY?????

In this golden age of dirt cheap beater XJ's I can buy the entire rig on craigslist for next to nothing, get to drive it home and have an entire jeep worth of spare parts

i found this place that sells used cherokee engines for $629.. free shipping
WOW WHAT A DEAL! That's only $171 less than I paid for my entire jeep and it shipped itself home (I drove it)

Here's my method (flow chart) of determining the condition of a Jeep 4.0 and if it's worth buying

1.disregard what the odometer says, this is completely irrelevant on a jeep 4.0
2. does it sound good?
3 drive it for 20 minutes, does it get hot?

If it passes those tests even with over 200k on the clock it's just as likely to go another 100K miles as a motor with 130K. But note two of three of these steps require a running jeep

Last edited:
I paid $250 for my other cherokee. Runs and drives Great, my MIL has it right now. Interior looksed great, a little rust in the rockers, but for that price I guess I can't be too picky...

so let me get this straight .. you d rather get a jy engine then this one because why again?
oh.. you dont want the free shipping nor do you dont want a cerified engine? thats makes sense.. .. right..
So the JY isnt certified to even run and who knows what you re getting!

Sucker!
mark
Why so angry? Everyone was responding pretty reasonably.

This one's "certified" eh? My rear end is a certified grade-A rear end if I do say so myself, I'm sitting right on it. Who the hell certifies used engines and why is said certification worth more than the paper it's printed on?

I'll take a junkyard engine, thanks... I'm pretty sure an engine will cost me 200-250 at my local yard, I can choose it and pull it the same day, and for that price differential I can buy a spare.

Your local parts counter guy at advance (the commercial guy in the back, not the looser in the front) can easily source a motor from the junkyard. If you talk him into it he can probably deliver it to your house as well.

When I worked there the JY motors actually came delivered in nice plastic boxes. The remans came on pallets covered in cardboard.

I agree . . . rebuild before install is the best bet. Otherwise it is really a gamble. Let me say this: YTou should be suspicious of any car part coming out of Newark, Nj. Car theft is an industry in that city . . .and jeeps are easy prey. It works like this: Car thief steaks car and leaves it on the streets; car ends up in junk yard; junk yard reports your car as totaled; the victim is charged a large fee by the junkyard to even look at their "wreak;" victim usually says forget it, it is not worth it; junkyard takes possession of the vehichle and sells it to chop shops who in turnsell the parts.

Believe me when I tell you, this always goes down. It happened to me, but I payed the money to see it. The only problem was a busted ignition and drained battery. The report said: Accident, extremelt dented, totaled beyond repair! I confronted owner of the junkyard and boy did he get defensive . . .saying "are you saying I stole your car?"

My point is, If you feel you can trust these people, I say good luck.

why so angry?
i post a link to a place to get a deal on an used certified engines and all im hearing is negative comments about the place.
most people i talk to that look for an engine end up paying 1200 bucks for one.. i figured.. hey.. half price and you still get free shipping..

sorry i posted the link!

mark

Don't be sorry--you provided info that can be an option for someone. It's only a scratch, man, don't let em smell the fear.

Certified... kind of like warranty.. which reminds me of that scene from "Tommy Boy". Exactly what is certified? You can't tell much about an engine with a compression check and an oil pressure check. I seriously doubt they go through the process of pulling the oil pan, valve cover, rod and main caps, etc.

BTW its only a 6 month warranty

Back