• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Use anti-seize?

That is not what is says. It says:
Reassemble parts using normal torque values.
It mentions nothing about it not changing the actual torque values.

They lie. Any thread lubricant can, and will affect how much resistance is seen at the torque wrench. Since the reason why torque values are specified is to set a specific value of stretch on a fastener, you can overstretch the bolt if you don't take into account the fact you lubricated the threads.
x2

I'm installing a lift kit on my XJ this weekend. Should I use anti-seize lubricant on every bolt? Any reason why I shouldn't?

I use it on the little bolts and in the bushing sleeves. The big bolts will rarely break so there's no need to use it on the threads. DEFINATELY put it on the shock bolts x 10000.

usually if you can't get your lug nuts off then you need to remove them more often. I've met a few people who couldn't get their lug nuts off and the reason was usually cuz they never torqued the nuts correctly OR they hardly ever remove em. Letting the shop crank em on with an impact is dumb and makes getting em off very difficult. Not rotating tires or doing brake inspection often allows the nuts to seize up to the studs if enough time goes by.

I live in a salt belt, a HEAVY one, and my nuts come right off. I torque em to specs and rotate every 3k. The only studs needing lubed is my own. :sunshine:

If your every going to take it apart in the Midwest use anti-sieze or equivilant.Most of the stuff I work on is old so if it needs to be redone years down the road it comes apart easily. On lugs I do use a solution that is duluted with motor oil so its not so thick or straight very sparingly soes not to gum up the threads. I have only been using Anti-sieze for the last 25 years so I dont know if its time tested?
Ron

Back