• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

usa standard or oem gears and noise?

crash02

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 07 tahoe 5.3l and 4l60e (4spd) ,this is a dd and tow rig for my 21ft superlite toyhauler and 3500(roughly)lb boat. I'm going to regear my gm8.6 from 3.73 to 4.10 and was curious if anyone has any insight on gear noise with usa standard gears or should I just go oem(big price difference)?
This isn't a debate on running bigger gearing, I'm installing gears myself and an stocking with 4.10.
The tahoe has mild cat back exhaust, intake, and 32.5" at's so its alittle noisier then stock, but does any one know if the usa standard gears will be extremely loud or should the gear noise be drowned out but my other upgrades? I also realized improperly set up gears could grenade and be louder then typical. Any insight will be much appreciated, thank you.

As long as you are using quality gears set up right, any noise they make will be drowned out by the exhaust. Crummy gears and incorrect setup will cause more problems than just noise down the road. If it's 4wd you need to do both differentials. I would personally try to find a rear axle and even A front diff center section in the junkyard that already has the ratio you want, since those will be OEM gears, set up properly, and already broken in.
It's a little less work, and less likely to have problems due to installer error.

Last edited:
Being a very large distributor of USA Standard as well as others.

I would not put USA Standard gears in my Tahoe. Just not something I would want to risk all that work for only say a 60$ difference up to a 170$ difference.
*USA Standard are like 120 a set shipped.
*Yukon (what I would run on your application if you wanted to save a bit but wanted quality) are like 180 a set shipped.
*Then OE at 290 a set shipped.

But more times then not, the install will create more noise then the gears.

Thank you Robert, glad i decided not to go usa for the tahoe. I ended up going with a motive gear set, got an awesome deal. I will be ordering usa gears from you as soon as i can for my xj
Chief, never even thought about picking up an axle, but I'm sure it still would of cost more then an oem gear set.
Thank you.

Around Nashville, the going rate for complete axles in the u-pull-it style junkyards is around $80. For me it's cheaper to just swap the whole shebang, and I can usually sell the stock crap for enough to cover it when I'm done

Back