• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrading an alternator?

What is the largest alternator that anyone has been able to find to fit on the xj? If i can not find enough amperage out of the alternator I might have to fab a 2nd alternator. Has anyone seen a second alternator mount? Err... I will be pushing about 7,000 watts out of my audio system once have it installed.(still waiting to have the $$$ to buy all my equipment)

JeepinAudiophile said:
What is the largest alternator that anyone has been able to find to fit on the xj? If i can not find enough amperage out of the alternator I might have to fab a 2nd alternator. Has anyone seen a second alternator mount? Err... I will be pushing about 7,000 watts out of my audio system once have it installed.(still waiting to have the $$$ to buy all my equipment)

As it happens, I got lucky with a local shop that I send all the business I can toward - San Jose Generator. I can't tell you what I paid for it, but I can tell you that the alternator under the hood of my 88 has a measured output of 215A@3000RPM(crank), and about 80A@700RPM(crank). In my 89, I'm getting 180A@3000RPM and 67A@750RPM. Not too bad...

For anyone who is in the area, if you need a starter or alternator, go to San Jose Generator, talk to Rod Stuart (no kidding!) and tell him Jon Kelley sent you. He'll fix you right up!

5-90

GM-Style - 6mm post with red base shroud, four-wire flattish plug (for regulator), and proabbly has "Delco-Remy" cast into the back near the hub.

Nippondenso - no plug, battery post, and I think there are two posts for the field and armature (externally regulated.) Should have a slightly stylised "ND" on the back hub cast in. Differences will be found in comparison between the styles.

5-90

If I were to upgrade my alternator from a junkyard donor. What years/vehicles would work with an 87 automatic? The ones I see listed, the GC/Dakota etc are for Cherokee's 91 and up.

The GM alternator used in the 1987-1990 XJ was a CS-130 with an offset upper mounting ear (they're usually 180* apart.) Any guts from any other CS-130 should fit right up, and CS-130's were used in production vehicles up to about 160A or so, I think (I'd have to check my alternator catalogue.)

There's an alternator ID guide on my site in the SJG section, so you can see pictures if you're visually oriented. For the earlier XJs (1984-1986,) I think it was a Delco 12SI - but I'd have to check the catalogue again. Fortunately, they're still common as all Hell, and the 12SI used 180* mounting ears, as I recall.

I don't recall the ND types as well - so I'd have to check. I've got to work on that section for Swappology anyhow, so it's just a matter of time.

RyanM said:
That looks like a good option, what exactly did you grind? And was that bushing or boot any problem.?

I just pulled the bracket off and ground where ever it interfered with the alternator. It wasn't much. I may have had to grind a little on the alternator too. It was a while ago and I don't quite remember. I didn't want to grind on the block because it would have been a PITA to do in the vehicle.

No problem with the boot at all. I followed the directions on that link and had it in within and hour and a half and I was taking way too much time trying to make my grinding look pretty. :)

5-90, what do you think about running the 6 belt with a 7pulley, leaving one open, as in that link.

RyanM said:
5-90, what do you think about running the 6 belt with a 7pulley, leaving one open, as in that link.

Should be no trouble, once you know which groove to leave open (probably the front) so the belt runs true.

For the second alternator setup, it's common enough on emergency vehicles - like ambulances. Just set it up with a separate regulator and as a separate electrical source, and you're good (you can still use the chassis for the ground return, just don't confuse the system by combining the outputs.)

(I'm still working on the scratch CS-130 swap guide - it's taking longer than I thought. Mainly because people keep distracting me around here...)

I was told by an alternator guy that 120 amps would be more than enough to run what ever you want to. Im not saying that is fact but it is what I have been told. I also found another alternator swap while I was speaking with this guy. Chrysler offered a 120 amp alt. in the Caravan. The cool thing is the mounts are exactly the same as the XJ. I have not tried this out yet but it is coming soon...

Ehh, series wound winches can pull over 400 amps at full load... 120 is quite enough for most people, but I think he was overgeneralizing.

T3hk1w1 said:
Ehh, series wound winches can pull over 400 amps at full load... 120 is quite enough for most people, but I think he was overgeneralizing.

Well over, depending on the weight they're pulling. I've collected data on most common winches, and I may end up making an HTML table out of it one day...

I've seen draws listed for up to 650A at full load, first layer.

Back