• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrading a compressor?

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 33-gallon oil-free "Universal Motor" Craftsman compressor that honestly is the biggest piece of sh*t I've ever owned in my life.

1.6 horsepower, takes over 20 minutes to fill to 150 PSI, and nearly 10 minutes to fill from 120 -> 150 PSI. Sustained use of cutting tools is a fool's game.

Given how much I spent on it a few years ago, I'd rather turn it into something usable than ditch it outright. Anyone ever upgraded the motor/compressor module on theirs? If so, know of any vendors that sell standalone units? I'm sure the fittings are all NPT so fitment isn't a huge issue. I can weld some custom brackets if needed (not to the tank itself).

Thanks in advance guys.

I've got a 33-gallon oil-free "Universal Motor" Craftsman compressor that honestly is the biggest piece of sh*t I've ever owned in my life.

1.6 horsepower, takes over 20 minutes to fill to 150 PSI, and nearly 10 minutes to fill from 120 -> 150 PSI. Sustained use of cutting tools is a fool's game.

Given how much I spent on it a few years ago, I'd rather turn it into something usable than ditch it outright. Anyone ever upgraded the motor/compressor module on theirs? If so, know of any vendors that sell standalone units? I'm sure the fittings are all NPT so fitment isn't a huge issue. I can weld some custom brackets if needed (not to the tank itself).

Thanks in advance guys.

I have the exact same model and I agree, it's a dog. I've had mine since about 2005 and it's ability to recharge the canister pressure has gone down a little each year. The only way I combatted it was I got more efficient air tools that used less cfm and shortened the amount of air hose I used. Going from a 100' to 50' hose meant I didn't have to stop what I was doing so that the motor could catch up.

If I could go back in time, I'd get the IR Garage Mate with a Belt Drive. Those units are friggen awesome and quiet too. My buddy and I painted his entire car and we never once lost pressure or had to stop spraying because of line pressure. And they're in the same price range as the Craftsman.

Believe it or not in my area these Crapsman 33gals carry a premium on Craigslist, so you might want to throw it up there and see if anyone bites. Then run, don't walk, to Lowes and buy an IR.

And if you really want to get crafty, go to the post office and get a new 'Move-in" packet that has a 20% Lowes coupon in it.

If I could go back in time, I'd get the IR Garage Mate with a Belt Drive. Those units are friggen awesome and quiet too. My buddy and I painted his entire car and we never once lost pressure or had to stop spraying because of line pressure. And they're in the same price range as the Craftsman.

I was not aware there are quiet ones, but do not think $550 is worth it for my minimal use. I need a quiet compressor that will not disturb the neighbors. I assumed this did not exist.
Is there a different entry level compressor that isn't a total dog that could be used for small entry-level jobs like removing lug nuts or just chiseling off the rear shock weld nut?

Last edited:
i dont know if you will get away with that much cheaper for beter, when i bought mine i went off cfm, and found a husky one that was high cfm, but it takes forever also to fill, my dad lent me his cause he had no space, lower cfm same tank but its dewalt and takes about 4 min to fill

Not just CFM, but CFM at what pressure.

Lowe's has a Kobalt compressor on sale for under $400 that looks a lot like the HF noted above. For $500, double the tank size, double the CFM at 90+psi, but bolt it down.

Back