• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

**UPDATED** HHO GAS....

I'm not really sure you can consider Goodburbons test a failure or success. Basically, he got tired of focking with it (not that I can blame him).

Eco, what happened to your plan to build one?

I'm not really sure you can consider Goodburbons test a failure or success. Basically, he got tired of focking with it (not that I can blame him).

Eco, what happened to your plan to build one?

My daughter took out a 40 ft lighting standard pole with the XJ I had just done a head job on 8 weeks earlier. Her first vehicle. Had to tear off the front panel, bumper, and PS quarter panel, hood, battery, radiator, fans....were toast. Just got her back on the road, only to find the drive shaft seal at the tranny leaking now. Also have lost the vacuum bosters / brakes on my other 2 DD XJs, so those are next.

In other words with gas a $1.89, it has become a rountoit project.

Thanks FunTech for the info. From what I've 'learned' after cruising the web is minimal spacing between the plates is a must. Anything above 2.5v is just heating up the water and drawing more amps than necessary. It's quite interesting that a lil electricity and some good engineering can go a long way. Hope more people have the same results. I just got my ScanGauge2 and just getting a idea of what #'s are with my Jeep. I apologize if I missed the data from the last 22 pages but do you know the liters per minute your setup is producing? 7 amps does sound like a really low number so maybe you caught on to something with SS all threads.

I gotta say for all those that state you can't get more from something than you get out, yea it's completely true. Physics and all that but your motor only runs +/-30% efficient losing tremendous amounts to heat lose and drive train. Adding something that only works at maybe 50% should still show a increase in MPG or ultimately the efficiently of the vehicle. Just hope I'm not off my rocker on this train of thought.

Just some interesting chemical analogue on the gas and HHO generator

found it interesting........Just have to get thru the chemistry part of it.

http://www.allpar.com/fix/holler/hydrogen.html

Flash

That link is quite a find!

:clap:

Thanks for posting it!!!!!!

Still reading it, but so far it sounds like it was written by a combustion engineer / Chemist / Chemical engineer that knows the real story!

I find no BS in it anywhere.

I have also concluded that the reason HHO is not widely used by Detroit is the hassle of getting the driver to maintain the DI water addition, and added purchase cost. Detroit has not really been interested in MPGs since the early 80's. The reason guys like us are not using it, is because too few of us know how to properly design and build an efficient one and how to properly set up real controls on one.

Seems it needs to have a variable output tuned to control the HHO feed at 2% of the Gasoline or Diesel feed rate to hit peak efficiency at all speeds and loads. Takes a PWM tied in with a TPS or the ECU the fuel injector signal to vary the HHO output. Not a simple design task by any means.

Seems it needs to have a variable output tuned to control the HHO feed at 2% of the Gasoline or Diesel feed rate to hit peak efficiency at all speeds and loads. Takes a PWM tied in with a TPS or the ECU the fuel injector signal to vary the HHO output. Not a simple design task by any means.

I agree!!!!

Giving up on this idea?..........or are the wheels still turning.:spin3:

Flash.

Wouldn't the gasoline ignite using the oxygen as an accelerant?

It's too bad that the auto engineers here in Detroit are in cohoots with the oil companies to sell more gas. Oh, wait! The Japanese and Chinese and Koreans and French and Germans are in on it too. If they would just let these secrets out, we could drive around for a year on one tank of water and use antigravity levitation instead of wearing out our tires and brakes.

They're so stupid they are risking bankruptcy to keep these secrets.

That link is quite a find!

:clap:

Thanks for posting it!!!!!!

Still reading it, but so far it sounds like it was written by a combustion engineer / Chemist / Chemical engineer that knows the real story!

I find no BS in it anywhere.

I have also concluded that the reason HHO is not widely used by Detroit is the hassle of getting the driver to maintain the DI water addition, and added purchase cost. Detroit has not really been interested in MPGs since the early 80's. The reason guys like us are not using it, is because too few of us know how to properly design and build an efficient one and how to properly set up real controls on one.

I noticed you said you were a chemical engineer, so maybe you can answer this question. Since DI water does not transmit electricity, and the author of that article said you need to add something such as baking soda to add electrolytes.. why couldn't you just use tap water? Tap water is ionized.

I dunno, popular mechanics might have the interest of major car companies or oil companies in their pocket just like so many other written sources of information. He referred to HHO as bad chemistry, yet its very apparent that a chemist wrote the article that explains HHO and why it works in great depth. Maybe his salary depends on him not being able to get HHO to work. As was previously stated, it all depends on how you make it.

Search the sites on the internet. They are scam come-ons.

Yes they are, but did you read through the whole thread. While there are scam sites out there, the idea is a sound concept and just needs to be reined properly to work. It does have potential.

I noticed you said you were a chemical engineer, so maybe you can answer this question. Since DI water does not transmit electricity, and the author of that article said you need to add something such as baking soda to add electrolytes.. why couldn't you just use tap water? Tap water is ionized.

Tap water has ionized compounds that will plate out on the electrodes, like calcium and magnesium thus making the electrodes less conductive (loss of electrical efficiency). Also Chloride and Fluoride will make Chlorine or Fluorine gas, or HCL and HF, nasty metal eating acids you don't want around the engine. Potassium Hydroxide seems to be reported as the best choice to use, but don't let it leak or get in your eyes. Causes immediate permanent eye damage (blind!) on contact, and damages paint surfaces. Baking soda is idiot proof, but I have concerns about it's possible consumption unless you use graphite plates. Iron or other metals from steel or stainless will consume carbonate by making an insoluble carbonate metal sludge or coat the electrodes with the carbonate sludge reducing electrode conductivity.

Baking soda should be OK with graphite, at least for short term tests.

Last edited:
I dunno, popular mechanics might have the interest of major car companies or oil companies in their pocket just like so many other written sources of information. He referred to HHO as bad chemistry, yet its very apparent that a chemist wrote the article that explains HHO and why it works in great depth. Maybe his salary depends on him not being able to get HHO to work. As was previously stated, it all depends on how you make it.

No conspiracy theories here, IMHO, but more likely PM started with a premise and set out to prove that premise, the premise being that the snake oil version (pickle jars) of the set up does not work. They never did enough text book and US DOE published research searches to see if it could work with the right hardware. DOE proved it is a sound science, and that it will work back in 1978. It has not been cost effective ( hardware cost wise for auto OEMs) with cheap oil between 1980 and 2004 (or 2006), it also requires user maintenance with regular DI water additions, which is not practical for 99% of car owners. They would be too lazy to maintain it.

OK guys, I just spent an hour looking through this thread for the real story. Obviously I can find anything I want on the internet and believe it or not. Ecomike, you've followed this thing for many months.

Bottom line: Did Irainman ever post credible reports on mileage gains or not?

Last edited:
OK guys, I just spent an hour looking through this thread for the real story. Obviously I can find anything I want on the internet and believe it or not. Ecomike, you've followed this thing for many months.

Bottom line: Did Irainman ever post credible reports on mileage gains or not?

I don't recall for sure, I think he posted some early stuff, but no long term data. Goodburbon did post a complete test thread of his own in the Mod section. He called it Goodburbons HHO test or something like that. He was our Red River Chapter president last year, and an avid skeptic. While his tests were not extensive, he had one dual full tanks long round trip drive that was encouraging, but he had several maintenance problems that confirmed my concerns about several of the hardware design issues and the how to build a good enough design so it works consistently, and there is still the maintenance issue.

I ran across a guy in my Nissan diesel forum about 6 weeks ago with a custom SD22 diesel engine transplate in his jeep diesel like mine that added a turbo charger (the SD22 diesel is naturally aspirated), an HHO generator, and enough other stuff that he was able to regulate the HHO output in response to throttle position and vacuum (or boost pressure) and maintain a constant 2% HHO gas feed rate (which is part of the key to getting real good results) and he used graphite plates like I had suggested here. He went from about 34 MPG (the same as I get with my diesel) to about 50 mpg. About 1/2 of that increase was from the HHO generator (no boost), the other 1/2 from the turbo charger.

It is real hard for people to BS me on this sort of stuff, and he was only the second person I ran across where every single thing he said made sense, and was believable. The other was the 1978 DOE study that started all this HHO stuff during the last oil crisis.

In my opinion an HHO generator would need to be built from CPVC or polypropylene, welded and sealed with Viton o'rings, like in a high pressure liquid filter housing. The electrical contacts need to be outside the gas / liquid area, creating a design contact sealing problem, or else be titanium inside the cell and through the wall of the vessel, with compression Viton o'ring seals. Then the graphite plates need about a 1/16" or less liquid gap.

Need to run about 6-8 cells in parallel at about 1.8 to 2 volts per cell to maximize efficiency, and need a remote DI water feed tank to maintain a constant water level in the cells. Liquid level control then becomes a control issue too. The Diesel guy created a way to do it with his. Then you need the Pulse width modulator electronic DC pulse circuit board to get max electrical efficiency out of the system. They are made in China, and on Ebay for $75 apx. I bought mine direct from China for about $35, I am using it on my AC condenser fan to drop the fan current load, another project, story.

Then you still need the TPS control interface to the PWM (Pulse width modulation) board. He came up with his own.

There is a firm in Canada rigging something like this up on 18 wheelers, they are on the Canadian stock exchange, and have sold 1000s of them to the truckers up north for about $10,000 each, from what I read. And the truckers were reporting about 6 month returns on the investment.

In summary, the problem is the pickle jar version just does not really cut it. Right now gas is too cheap again for me to build one. Got other rates to kill this week, but It is still and idea I am following closely and will try on my rigs one day.

It would be interesting to hear updates from people like Irainman????

He may have gotten side tracked like the rest of us with recent disaster like floods, Hurricane Ike, stock market crash, job loss, who knows, .....etc.

I am glad to hear some of you taking it seriously now and realizing that while there are a bunch of crooks out there milking people with HHO junk, that the actual science behind the idea does have merit. One of these days a simple, cheap 2% Hydrogen or HHO feed set up may become standard on gasoline and diesel rigs, if we are still using gas then.

I appreciate the very excellent synapsis of the situation. It's just a wierd aspect of humanity where so many scams obscure possible real progress. 99% of the time the old saying "If it's to good to be true, it isn't" is accurate. And 87% of all statistics are made up. (LOL)

Back