• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

UpCountry springs "2" high

hammerhead

NAXJA Forum User
Just put my new springs on the back of my 92.
Part number 52002392, Suppose to give 1 inch over stock height (17 inch).When I set it back down it was at 20", have driven 100miles and they are at 19.
Woundering if it's likely they will drop down any more?

Probably a little more. May be that your previous springs had settled enough to account for the additional lift. That's one thing about lifts of all sorts--they are approximate. A lift that's advertised for 3" will generally give about 3" on most vehicles, but there will be exceptions and some people will end up higher while others will end up lower.

Did you drop it onto the tires or jack stands under the AXLE before tightening the bolts at both ends of the springs? If not, you may have a degree of preload from the bushings that's holding it higher than it should sit.

Eagle said:
Did you drop it onto the tires or jack stands under the AXLE before tightening the bolts at both ends of the springs? If not, you may have a degree of preload from the bushings that's holding it higher than it should sit.

I tightened every thing to specs before I took to jack stands out from under the frame.

hammerhead said:
I tightened every thing to specs before I took to jack stands out from under the frame.

Proper procedure is to put the vehicles weight on the springs before fully tightening the fasteners. This puts the bushings in a neutral position at rest.

hammerhead said:
Put it up on jackstands under the rear axle. Loosen (not remove) the bolts through the bushings at both ends of the springs. Bounce on the rear bumper a few times to settle the springs and bushings into place. Retorque to spec.

Eagle said:
Put it up on jackstands under the rear axle. Loosen (not remove) the bolts through the bushings at both ends of the springs. Bounce on the rear bumper a few times to settle the springs and bushings into place. Retorque to spec.
I'll give it a try, Thanks

DaveD912 said:
Are you the original owner of this XJ? Maybe you're not running a stock shackle.
No I'm not ,but it's a stock shackel, about 3 or 4 in job , been on her since she was born I'd bet ,just like them Damned SPRING EYE BOLTS !!!
lol. backed out the bolts so there was no tension, jumped up and down on the back bumper, measured and she's still sittin at 19 inches.

Took the Jeep out over a plowed field at 35 miles an hour, no change in height . I'm think it'll take a few weeks with weight in the back to come down if at all. Thanks to you guys for your help!!

Back