• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Unusual and (possibly) unknown rear disc conversion - Not ZJ

brave new world

NAXJA Forum User
I have come across some lightly used "1997 Ford Explorer Rear Disc brakes" from an 8.8 which include all parts except for caliper bolts.

The question: Can I swap out my Chrysler 8.25 29 spline open rear axle drum brakes using the forementioned disc brakes?

I have been reading threads all over the web, including Naxja threads. The topic has been mentioned on numerous occasions, however after reading the threads there are no conclusions. There are theories which involve expensive conversion kits which compile the use of ZJ backing plates and Explorer Calipers. The Ford Falcon has been mentioned and the Crown Vic however the thread usually involved the D44.

I would think about using the ZJ setup and am quite familiar with the extensive related threads however I got this setup free and if possible it would be nice to use "free-99".

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated, if I have missed something please tell me.

Current setup: 95 XJ, 4.0 I6, D30 w/lockrite, 8.25 29 spline open on 33's.

Thank you in advance.

Re: 8.8 rear discs ->Chrysler 8.25

Come on, this has to have come across someone's plate at one point!

Isn't there anyone that can help this young soul (In Jeep terms of course) and his poor XJ? :eyes:

Thanks in advance, :)

Just swap the whole axle! :dunno: I'm sure you can figure out how to get it to work.

Well ok, I was hoping to see if someone had paved the road already. Guess I will attempt and if it works/doesn't work I will report info back.

Mudbutt; if it doesn't work then you probably wouldn't want it either - be just an oversized paper weight.

i thought there were alot of writeups on explorer backing plates?
go ahead and do it, it should be pertty straight forward. i know on the xj44 the explorer brakes are easier to put on than the zj stuff, i found this out after installing brakes ...

I put Crown Vic. disc on an 8.25. Open up the center hole on the brackets & the disc. Depending on the year, you may have to drill/ open up the mounting holes for the brackets.

JIM.

I put Crown Vic. disc on an 8.25. Open up the center hole on the brackets & the disc. Depending on the year, you may have to drill/ open up the mounting holes for the brackets.

JIM.

Thanks Jim for the input, glad to hear that. I didn't think there would be any boring out of the backing plate since the 8.8 = 3.25 diameter axle and 8.25 = 3.00 diameter axle. Perhaps the Crown vic is smaller?

Either way good to hear that this sounds more plausible!

I didn't think there would be any boring out of the backing plate since the 8.8 = 3.25 diameter axle and 8.25 = 3.00 diameter axle.

I think you have that backwards. JIM.

zj and 8.8 rear disc brakes are almost the same thing. i think you can use the same pads and emergency shoes in each. i have an 8.8 and a zj swaped 8.25 looks real close. dont know about the bolt pattern on the backing plate but thats what a drill is for. also if you have 16'' rims the brakes off an expedition might do the trick

Back