• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

unit bearing

Quote xjnuttier:When you apply things such as wheel spacers, which look cool, they stress the unit bearings,

Hallo. In fact wider tires are doing the same, they making also the momentum on the bearings bigger.

wim

Last edited:
Quote xjnuttier:When you apply things such as wheel spacers, which look cool, they stress the unit bearings,

Hallo. In fact wider tires are doing the same, they making also the momentum on the bearings bigger.

wim

and so on and so forth, but spacers increase it at a way faster pace versus bigger tires..... FACT!!! and bigger tires grow each way, so technically you are blancing the weight left and right VS: spacers you are FOCUSING the load outwards, thus destroying the unit bearings.. Have you ever seen those lil rice rockets with the ridiculosly wide wheels, hanging out like 4 inches from the car, THEY go thru bearings, like oil changes..

Hey, just a quick question, What the hell are you guys doing to these bearings..I know they are bearing but, you guys talk about them like they were oil changes..LOL I have never had to replace the unit bearings in any of my recent Jeeps.. Is the issue from wheel offset? I have never had an XJ on 35's so I can't speak for that situation, but it just seems a lil crazy how you guys are wearing them so quickly...

Mud kills mine. ;)

yeah mine see some mud which doesn't help and the roads up here in maine see a tone of salt and sand in the winter which corrodes everything. I'm not sure if thats a big issue but I don't know how well the seals actually work on the bearings.

I've only replaced 3 so far and one was a replacement that was already on there so I can't say if it was installed correctly or if it was new when it was installed. I replaced that with one from the junkyard, and then replaced the other one with a new unit from Napa, which was bad after 7 months. We'll see how long this one lasts.

When I first bought my TJ 6 years ago I had the first set of bearings replaced by the dealer under warranty. I watched through the bay windows in the waiting room as they used an impact gun on the hub nut. It was one of those dewalt impact guns. I swear they impacted it for at least a minute till it wasn't spinning and the model impact they had was the 300+ ft lb gun. I had no idea what they were doin at the time and the bearing failed within a couple months. They refused another replacement. It was THEIR fault it failed but I was a newbie and didnt' know why it failed.

The dude above that mentioned 175 ft lbs is CORRECT. Torque the bearing right or don't bother installing it cuz it will just be a waste of money.

Hallo again.
I split this day 2 very old hubs. I used 3 bolts M12x80mm.
My conclusion is: you will never loose a hub by old or less grease. There is after a few years of duty still a lot of high quality grease still there. The grease was not hard or thin. So regreasing is not necessary,but it is to do.
Mayby when a hub is became very hot, it will loose the grease by the seals.
But you can see this.
You will loose a hub only by wear and by the wrong torque of the axle nut.

wim :shhh:

Last edited:
Mud kills mine. ;)

I hear yah, we get this nice coal silt dirt here in the east coast in the coal region, it is like black sand, but since it is carbon based, it acts like having a gazillion diamonds in your bearings... Stay clear of coal silt..LOL Took me many years and many bearings before I wised up...lOL :firedevil

I hear yah, we get this nice coal silt dirt here in the east coast in the coal region, it is like black sand, but since it is carbon based, it acts like having a gazillion diamonds in your bearings... Stay clear of coal silt..LOL Took me many years and many bearings before I wised up...lOL :firedevil

P6080296.jpg

Tell me about. That may look like a little pond but it's a lethal combination of coal/mud/fish. I was stuck in that for 8 hours and then it started raining and water level rose. I had every single seal on the jeep leak and replaced almost all the bearings cuz of it. My hubs went out a couple weeks after that. You ever see the rear axle outer bearings go bad early at 48,000 miles? Mine did...... COAL SUCKS.

P6080296.jpg

Tell me about. That may look like a little pond but it's a lethal combination of coal/mud/fish. I was stuck in that for 8 hours and then it started raining and water level rose. I had every single seal on the jeep leak and replaced almost all the bearings cuz of it. My hubs went out a couple weeks after that. You ever see the rear axle outer bearings go bad early at 48,000 miles? Mine did...... COAL SUCKS.

I replaced enough bearings and seals in my motorcycles adn quads to know better but I still play..LOL But you are right tears them up.. Hey by anychance is that pond in branchdale pa? or shamokin..LOL it looks familiar, and I seen you were a fellow coal cracker...:wave1:

I replaced enough bearings and seals in my motorcycles adn quads to know better but I still play..LOL But you are right tears them up.. Hey by anychance is that pond in branchdale pa? or shamokin..LOL it looks familiar, and I seen you were a fellow coal cracker...:wave1:

That was about 6 years ago, over in New Stanton somewhere. I can't remember exactly where cuz i followed everyone there.

This was 8 hrs later after alot of rain.

P6080346.jpg

There's a spot a little further away where you can catch some air....

P5260280.jpg

or become an airplane like my buddy did...

P5260289.jpg

twice...

P5260270.jpg

and totalled it. lol

Last edited:
and so on and so forth, but spacers increase it at a way faster pace versus bigger tires..... FACT!!! and bigger tires grow each way, so technically you are blancing the weight left and right VS: spacers you are FOCUSING the load outwards, thus destroying the unit bearings.. Have you ever seen those lil rice rockets with the ridiculosly wide wheels, hanging out like 4 inches from the car, THEY go thru bearings, like oil changes..

Like on that show "Chop Shop" on Discovery HD Theater? That guy is always putting GIGANTIC custom made wheel spacers on those rides......sometimes I say NO out loud!

i went to advance and spent a little extra coin for ones with a life time warranty. but i also blew through 5-6 a year easily when i went to 35s

Advance Auto does not carry a lifetime hub assembly. They are all one year warrenty. Both the NTP Brand and the National Brand.

They key to keeping hub assemblys good it properly torqueing the axle nut.

Advance Auto does not carry a lifetime hub assembly. They are all one year warrenty. Both the NTP Brand and the National Brand...

AutoZone's got Timkin, still only a one-year...

What's a guy gotta do to get a part he can abuse?

Robert

and bigger tires grow each way, so technically you are blancing the weight left and right VS: spacers you are FOCUSING the load outwards, thus destroying the unit bearings..

But most run aftermarket wheels with less backspacing to fit larger tires, FOCUSING those forces at the exact spot the factory wheels with spacers do.

Back