• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Under Hood Light Wiring Location

SuperRoo

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

I'm trying to work out the location for the wiring going to the under hood light.

I've come across this wiring with plug - 2x wires which are purple with a stripe. Not sure if this is for the hood light and just requires a patch lead to hook it up or if I'm barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks for taking a look,

Not sure about left hand drive, but on my 88 it is a red wire (small/thin maybe 14 gauge) with a square plug that pops out of the cross firewall harness near where the light mounts.

Not sure about left hand drive, but on my 88 it is a red wire (small/thin maybe 14 gauge) with a square plug that pops out of the cross firewall harness near where the light mounts.

Cheers 8mud, but wouldn't you be driving a LHD in Germany? :dunno:

I'll have another snoop around the firewall for that red wire. Didn't see anything when I looked the 1st time or 2nd time...but my wife tells me I can be blind at times....

Cheers 8mud, but wouldn't you be driving a LHD in Germany? :dunno:

I'll have another snoop around the firewall for that red wire. Didn't see anything when I looked the 1st time or 2nd time...but my wife tells me I can be blind at times....

Sometimes my fingers have a mind of their own. :) I meant right hand drive.

Are you looking for something practical or something OEM? I may have an OEM hood lamp with the roll up extension cable someplace. If you are interested I'll go digging through my junk?

If you are just looking for something practical, any red wire is usually constant power. No big deal to piggyback splice a red wire and use an inline fuse. I've used a backup light and a mercury switch before.

On mine the wire and connector pops out at the same place as the wires going to the charcoal canister. The wire and connector may be doubled over and wrapped in the harness sheath if it wasn't an option that came with the XJ. Maybe just the wire end taped and tucked back inside the sheath. RHD XJ's are rare around here, not much experience with them.

Sometimes my fingers have a mind of their own. :) I meant right hand drive.

Are you looking for something practical or something OEM? I may have an OEM hood lamp with the roll up extension cable someplace. If you are interested I'll go digging through my junk?

If you are just looking for something practical, any red wire is usually constant power. No big deal to piggyback splice a red wire and use an inline fuse. I've used a backup light and a mercury switch before.

On mine the wire and connector pops out at the same place as the wires going to the charcoal canister. The wire and connector may be doubled over and wrapped in the harness sheath if it wasn't an option that came with the XJ. Maybe just the wire end taped and tucked back inside the sheath. RHD XJ's are rare around here, not much experience with them.

Thanks for the offer 8Mud, I'll see how things develop with what I've got. I use to have a oem roll up cable when I bought the Jeep back in '06, but it wasn't connected to anything. After further inspection as to why the reel wasn't pulling out, I opened the thing up and found the cable & reel had all melted inside - must have been some serious heat under there. Over time I bought a new lamp connection off ebay which was for a later model and only now (after how many years? :shocked:) decided to hook things up. I assumed there must have been a connection somewhere down there in the bay. I'll have probe around the canister again.

By the way mine is a LHD vehicle, imported from California by the first owner back in'92. I drive between England & Poland (especially during the Summer to our farm), it makes travelling across Europe less intensive. I find pottering around England not a problem, until you come to a carpark gate, meaning having to get out to pick up the ticket from the machine which is on the right side of the truck!

Here is a pic of my '90 wiring. The light exits from the same sheath as the heater motor and extends up to the light. Ignore the overflow bottle, I converted my renix system to the newer style and replaced the old bottle with one out of a '93.

HTH
Todd

Am not seeing images.., anyone else having same issue? Would like to know in order to determine whether my laptop is having a problem viewing, etc. Thanks for feedback.

BTW: with the proliferation of LED systems it should not be too difficult to get creative, and set up more than one light position, and by merely unrolling some stashed alligator clipped wires to pos, and neg batt. terminals. Automotive, and marine parts establishments have a wide variety of said. In my area; the fad is to hang a human LED battery operated, (AA, AAA, etc.), headlamp strap over one's rear view mirror for handy purposes, i.e., to deal with such under-hood issues with far more focusing ability than a single under-hood bulb could ever provide, as well as working underneath, changing out a flat, etc.

Back